The DCC - March 2nd, 2024

Locked Previous topicNext topic
Rithaniel
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rithaniel » 2 months ago

Welcome to the DCC!
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post in the DCC Discussion Thread.

How To Play

How does this card-making game work? It's simple! Whenever your card receives a vote, you receive [1] point for the month. If your card ends up with the most votes for that day, you will receive [2] additional points for the month. In the event of a tie, each person who tied receives [1] additional point. At the end of each month, the person with the most points on the scoreboard wins that month, then the scoreboard is cleared for the next month. You can participate in as many or as few days as you want in any month.

Rules

• Each day you may post any card you want. On the next day all of the posted cards will be put into the thread as long as your card didn't get disqualified - see the next point for more details. If you post more than one card in a DCC thread, only the first card you post will be taken.
  • When you vote, you need to make exactly two votes for two different people.  Vote for the cards that are listed in the first post, not other cards being posted in the thread.  If you notice that you've only voted for one person, include your second vote in a post, even if you're not submitting a card.
  • If you want to change your vote for any reason, post that change in the day's thread (you can include it with your card if you want). Changed votes in the discussion thread will be ignored.
  • Voting for only one person, for three or more people, or for yourself will earn you an asterisk by your name in the monthly leaderboard. So will failing to vote if you've posted a card. (We're not going to do anything about people who don't vote or post cards; that would be kind of silly.) This indicates that you're on probation for the next 21 days. If you're on probation and you make another improper vote, your card will be disqualified. Repeated disqualification is grounds for warnings and/or infractions for not following the game rules, so please don't do it.
  • Voting for everything in the poll will be grounds for a lifetime ban from the DCC. Don't do it. It just wastes the thread creators' time.
  • If you wish to post a render, please use the hyperlink option when posting your card and make the card name the image link. Renders are usually large enough to clog up the list, so submit a text-formed card and (optionally) a link in the name to the render.
  • This thread is just for your card submission. Take your questions/comments to our discussion thread.  If it's a question, comment, or complaint about probation, PM void_nothing and/or the month's DCC organizer.
  • When posting make sure that:
    • You have included all of the previous day's entries.
    • You update the leaderboard with the previous day's scores.
(An easy way to post the new thread is to hit the multiquote button on every post in the previous day's thread, then click Post Reply. Select everything in this post, copy it, and then paste it into the first post for a new thread. You'll have to clean up a few small things, like quote tags around the opening post and the previous day's cards.)

Notes of the Day

Congratulations to @wizyard, with the last-minute upset resulting in a win of the February 2024 DCC!

This month had a super-high turnout, with nine to ten players each day. One of the biggest things about this game is that you have to consistently participate in order to have any chance. Votes cast on people who didn't win in a day end up comprising so much of the final scores that, if you miss too many days, your score is destined to fall behind. Sometimes people fall out of the contest, and it becomes a race between those of us who consistently post.

However, even with this many people consistently playing, both RattingRots and wizyard pulled out ahead, creating a gap of 22 points between second and third place. That alone is enough to give huge kudos to both players. Wizyard ending out with a score of 98 points is colossal, as it means a score of around 3 votes each day, which is way above average. Not only that, but it's rare for point totals to swing by 4 points, so, from yesterday, it seemed like RattingRots had a secure lead, but wizyard hit us with the 7 point swing instead. An impressive end to the month.

It's been a great month, and I'm looking forward to what designs we get to see in Leo's March.

DCC Scoreboard

wizyard 98 (+7)
RattingRots 95
void_nothing 73 (+2)
Rithaniel 72 (+2)
bravelion83 62 (+2)
OneAndOnly 60 (+4)
netn10 52 (+2)
Caspernicus 41
marioguy3 28
archemediesx 3 (+1)

OneAndOnly wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: bravelion83, Rithaniel
Brutal Brawl - R(r/w)w
Instant - Tactics {U}
(Play during combat, before damage.)
This combat, all combat damage attacking creatures would deal is dealt to target blocking creature instead, and all combat damage blocking creatures would deal is dealt to target attacking creature instead.
For each creature you don't control targeted this way, draw a card.
wizyard wrote:
2 months ago
OneAndOnly, archemediesx
bravelion83 wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: OneAndOnly, Rithaniel

HM: void_nothing

Reaper Queen
Legendary Artifact Creature — Scarecrow (M)
Converge — Reaper Queen enters the battlefield with a limb counter on it for each color of mana spent to cast it.
Other Scarecrow creatures you control get +1/+1 for each limb counter on Reaper Queen.
Disguise {2/W}{2/U}{2/B}{2/R}{2/G}
When Reaper Queen is turned face up, destroy target permanent with mana value equal to the number of colors of mana spent to pay Reaper Queen's disguise cost or less, then put two limb counters on Reaper Queen.
6/6
netn10 wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: OneAndOnly, void_nothing

Gold Rush R
Enchantment (Rare)
Players may activate abilities of creatures they control as though those creatures had haste.
All creatures have "T, Sacrifice a land: Flip a coin. If you win the flip, create two Treasure tokens."
The rumors of an isolated new plane have swiftly spread, tantalizing the minds of explorers both seasoned and novice with promises of unimaginable riches.
RattingRots wrote:
2 months ago
wizyard, bravelion83 (although if I'm understanding this correctly, if you killed then returned an opponents creature, it would still be under their control?)

HM for the laugh: archimedesx

Transhumanist's Notebook 1
Artifact - Clue (U)
Whenever a creature with test subject enters the battlefield under your control, put a test counter on it.
2: Sacrifice ~: Draw a card.
For reference for my test subject mechanic:
Show
Hide
RattingRots wrote:
2 months ago
Engineered Elite 2W
Creature - Mutant Soldier (C)
Test Subject (When this permanent enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice a token and put a test counter on it. If you don't, create a clue token.)
Whenever you attack, you may remove a test counter from ~. If you do put two +1/+1 counters on target attacking creature. It gains flying until end of turn..
2/2
archemediesx wrote:
2 months ago
votes: wizyard , void_nothing

Space Cadet 1UR
Creature - Orc Pilot (U)
Flying, haste
Whenever space cadet attacks, blocks, or becomes the target of a spell or ability, flip a coin. If you lose the flip space cadet phases out. (Treat it and anything attached to it as though they don't exist until your next turn.)
The command instructions on each Orcish test suit reads 'open door in case of emergency.'
3/2
Rithaniel wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: wizyard, OneAndOnly

Seek the Silent Path
Sorcery R
Reveal the top seven cards of your library. If was spent to cast this spell, instead you lose 3 life and reveal the top ten cards of your library. You may put up to two nonenchantment, nonland cards revealed this way into your hand. Then, you may put a land card revealed this way onto the battlefield tapped if you spent to cast this spell. Then you may put an enchantment card revealed this way onto the battlefield if you spent to cast this spell. Put all other cards revealed this way on the bottom of your library in a random order.
marioguy3 wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: wizyard, netn10

Share the Gains
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, each opponent creates a token that's a copy of Share the Gains.
: Draw a card. Activate only once each turn.
void_nothing wrote:
2 months ago
Votes: wizyard, netn10

Inspired by the recent Signpost Uncommon Game request for UB changelings.

Envoy of the Unsettling 2UB
Creature - Shapeshifter (U)
Changeling
At the beginning of combat on your turn, choose one or more. Choose a different target for each mode -
• Target Salamander you control can't be blocked this turn.
• Target Bat you control gains lifelink until end of turn.
• Target Snake you control gets +2/+1 until end of turn.
3/2
Last edited by Rithaniel 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 2 months ago

Votes: archemedesx, void_nothing

Day 1: Chaos
Sorcery (Rare)
As an additional cost to cast this spell, discard a card at random.
Chaos deals damage to each opponent equal to the total number of cards milled this turn.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 2 months ago

Votes: bravelion83, marioguy3

Scattering Trap B
Instant - Trap (Uncommon)
If it's the first turn of the game, you may pay 0 rather than pay this spell's mana cost.
Exile target enchantment you don't control. You lose 2 life.

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 2 months ago

Votes: RattingRots, Rithaniel
Spontaneous Disassembly - (G/w)R
Instant {U}
Destroy target artifact. Its controller creates X artifact tokens from among the following, where X is its mana value: Clue, Food, Powerstone, and Treasure.
Gary the Gearhulk was surprised to learn
He was metal and iron-forged gears
He was a mecha of mysterious mettle,
mithrillium disks and mincemeat pies!

Last edited by OneAndOnly 2 months ago, edited 3 times in total.

archemediesx
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by archemediesx » 2 months ago

votes: netn10 , void_nothing

Food Allergies 1B
Enchantment (C)
Whenever you sacrifice a Food, put an allergen counter on Food Allergies.
1B, Remove all allergen counters from Food Allergies and sacrifice it: Each opponent loses 1 life for each allergen counter removed this way and you gain life equal to the life lost this way.
"Easy Dude. You're being very Un-Dude."

bravelion83
Back to fighting monsters

Post by bravelion83 » 2 months ago

I still don't know at which time I will post tomorrow's thread. It will either be the last thing I do tonight (I am in Italy, so it's CET, always remember that! What is evening/night to me is afternoon in America and might be the next day's morning in eastern countries, so adjust that to your time zone!), or the first thing I do tomorrow after I wake up. The former is probably the best option, in which case today will be a short day, so just to be safe, get your submission in for today while you can!

EDIT - I think I will put up tomorrow's thread around midnight CET, that is in a little more than an hour from this edit, and I might keep that time for now. Please adjust midnight CET to your time zone and play accordingly. I can already say though that the thread for the 7th will need to go up either earlier than that or somebody else will have to take care of that day. There should be no other problems for all the rest of March, it's only that single day.

Votes: RattingRots, Rithaniel (even though you should put the land and the enchantment onto the battlefield before putting them into your hand, otherwise you can't be sure they are the same card as they go to a hidden zone first)

Accuse the Culprit 1U
Instant (C)
Counter target spell unless its controller collects evidence X, where X is twice that spell's mana value. (To collect evidence X, that player exiles cards with total mana value equal to twice X or greater from their graveyard.)
"Prove me wrong!"
Last edited by bravelion83 2 months ago, edited 3 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | Thanks to all that have provided feedback about the March MCC. You can find the results in this post.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on May 2nd 2024, including Jun 2024 in advance)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 2 months ago

Votes: OneAndOnly, void_nothing

Watching Serpent
Creature - Snake U
Defender, haste
: Untap target Forest or Island.
: Untap Watching Serpent.
0/3
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”