void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 months ago

February CCL Top 6/Round 3

"The Classic Roster"

Lord Magnus, taken from MtG Wiki, illustrated by Mark Tedin
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Roots Month here at the CCL. This month will go back to the origins and earliest uses of aspects of Magic.

Challenge
Design a new card representing the same character as a legendary creature card from Legends.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • All Legends legends can be found here.
  • You may choose any of the legendary creatures from the set, whether or not it has gotten a new version before.
  • Your new card may be any card type as long as it clearly represents the character. It should be legendary, however.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Contestants
@Raptorchan
@Komandon
@marioguy3
@shullz
@netn10
@OneAndOnly
Your submissions are due Friday, February 23rd, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (January 30th - February 7th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (February 8th - 14th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due February 17th)
  • Top 6 — Open to top 6 finishers (February 19th - 23rd)
  • Top 6 Critiques (Due February 25th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (February 26th - March 2nd)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due March 4th)
  • Final (March, winner determined by public poll)
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

shullz

Post by shullz » 2 months ago

Gwendlyn, Black Widow of Urborg UBR
Legendary Creature — Human Assassin (R)
Deathtouch
Whenever Gwendlyn, Black Widow of Urborg deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card at random. You may gain control of target creature that player controls with mana value less than or equal to the discarded card's mana value. If you do, sacrifice that creature at the end of your next turn.
2/5
Last edited by shullz 2 months ago, edited 3 times in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Quick bump and reminder for:

@Raptorchan
@Komandon
@marioguy3
@netn10
@OneAndOnly
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Komandon
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Komandon » 2 months ago

Councilor Riven Turnbull 1ubb
Legendary Creature — Human Advisor (Mythic)
A player that loses unspent mana mills that many cards.
Whenever a player casts or copies a spell, they add B.
The first instant or sorcery you cast each turn has delve.
"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims... but accomplices." — George Orwell
2/4
Last edited by Komandon 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 2 months ago

Gwendlyn the Vile ubr
Legendary Creature — Human Rogue (R)
Creatures you control but don't own get +1/+1 and have haste.
If an opponent would gain control of a creature they don't control, that creature's controller may sacrifice it instead.
3/3

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 2 months ago

Rasputin of the Faltering Mind -- 2UUBB
Legendary Creature - Human Cleric {R}
If damage would reduce your life total to less than the number of cards in your hand, your life total becomes equal to the number of cards in your hand, then you discard that many cards instead.
Skip your next draw step: Draw a card. This ability can only be activated once each turn.
4/4
Last edited by OneAndOnly 2 months ago, edited 3 times in total.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 2 months ago

Sol'kanar, Extended Reign
Legendary Creature - Elemental Demon (Rare)
Haste
When Sol'kanar, Extended Reign enters the battlefield, you become the monarch.
Whenever you draw a card, if you are the monarch, Sol'kanar deals 2 damage to each opponent.
5/4
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 2 months ago

Jacques le Vert of Pendlhaven RGGW
Legendary Creature - Human Soldier (Mythic)
Green creatures you control have vigilance and haste.
Whenever a green creature you control attacks or blocks, it gets +1/+1 until end of turn for each nongreen creature you control.
"Nature is but another army to command, with its own formation, rues, and hierarchy."
5/3

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Alright, with everyone now having entered, please critique everyone else and post a top 3 - you have until the end of Tuesday the 27th!

shullz

Post by shullz » 2 months ago

Crits
Show
Hide
Komandon wrote:
2 months ago
"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims... but accomplices." — George Orwell
2/4
This card has some really nice synergies between its abilities. The magecraft-like second ability has some combo potential. The flavortext fits the lore of the character, too. I really like this card.
Raptorchan wrote:
2 months ago
Gwendlyn the Vile ubr
If an opponent would gain control of a creature they don't control, that creature's controller may sacrifice it instead.
3/3
You chose a very different approach from me for this legend. With Gwendlyn being someone who seduces and then kills men, the stealing synergies and sacrifice ability fit the lore. All three colors have a lot of ways to gain control of opponent creatures, so I can see this card doing quite well in the right deck. Bonus points for making me want to build a commander deck with it now. This card feels fresh and fits its colors well.
OneAndOnly wrote:
2 months ago
If damage would reduce your life total to less than the number of cards in your hand, your life total becomes equal to the number of cards in your hand, then you discard that many cards instead.
Skip your next draw step: Draw a card. This ability can only be activated once each turn.
4/4
This card is a clear shift away from both the original card and its remake, changing a color and dropping usage of its unique dream counters in favor of a hand-matters ability. This is actually a pretty clever interpretation of the original's ability with the original starting with and being able to use a maximum of 7 counters. You also found a great way to incorporate the damage reduction ability into this changed resource, which makes it feel more modern in my opinion. It's a very flavorful and unique card and fits its color identity well. I just think that it is far too expensive and doesn't actually do that much, because it basically just gives you some extra life and only really has a niche in decks that draw a humongous amount of cards and prefereable are able to remove the hand size limit.
marioguy3 wrote:
2 months ago
Haste
Whenever you draw a card, if you are the monarch, Sol'kanar deals 2 damage to each opponent.
5/4
The addition of the Elemental creature type makes sense, given that in the lore it is a corrupted Force of Nature. You focused more on the King part of the original character, which is reflected nicely in the monarch ability. The only thing it's missing is that it doesn't do anything black, which is a major oversight for a swamp king.
netn10 wrote:
2 months ago
Whenever a green creature you control attacks or blocks, it gets +1/+1 until end of turn for each nongreen creature you control.
"Nature is but another army to command, with its own formation, rues, and hierarchy."
5/3
The vigilance and haste help this card feel red and white. You found a way to make the original green lord effect feel fresh and created an ability that can add some serious buffs in a deck that wants to play 3 colors anyway, but the "nongreen" part of it nerfs it to make it less abusable and keep it fair. So multi-colored cards are not really wanted here, but elf tokens may find new best friends among the likes goblin or soldier tokens, even if it may end up a Forbidden Friendship.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Komandon
2. netn10
3. Raptorchan

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 2 months ago

Reviews WIP
Show
Hide

As you can probably tell by my submittal, I'm not against revealing completely different aspects of OG Legends. It's always cool to see riffs on classics, but also revelations on how the game has evolved in OMFG HAS IT REALLY BEEN THIRTY YEARS.
shullz wrote:
2 months ago
Deathtouch
Whenever Gwendlyn, Black Widow of Urborg deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card at random. You may gain control of target creature that player controls with mana value less than or equal to the discarded card's mana value. If you do, sacrifice that creature at the end of your next turn.
2/5
Hmm. That's an interesting take on Control Magic effects. I think by the time she comes online, your opponent(s) might not have too many cards in hand, so it becomes easier to play around. It's interesting to note that either blocking her or not means they're likely to lose a creature. I'd take her toughness down to 2/4 or even 2/3.
Komandon wrote:
2 months ago
2/4
That's a nice take of the Yurlok of Scorch Thrash. I don't like the second ability (it feels like it wants to fuel storm on your side) but I see how it's meant to play into the first ability. "1: Mill a card" isn't really an ability I want to see on a card, however.
Raptorchan wrote:
2 months ago
Gwendlyn the Vile ubr
3/3
That's an interesting take on di Corci. Do I like it more or less than shullz' submission? What an awkward question!

What I really like is that it's a commander that doesn't immediately fuel its own strategies; ie, you need other cards to get any benefit from the first ability. +1/+1 and haste isn't that great of a bonus, though (and many red cards like Threaten and its variants already grant haste). I think Gwen should get the +1/+1 bonus too; maybe for each creature you've borrowed.

For the second ability, did you mean "...gain control of a creature they don't own"? The version currently listed turns Act of Betrayal into Slave of Bolas, or, in other words, turns Goatnap into Murder.

marioguy3 wrote:
2 months ago
Haste
5/4
Well, he is the Swamp King! While I don't mind characters moving on from past portrayals (I expect it, to be honest) this feels rather disconnected from his previous form.
netn10 wrote:
2 months ago
5/3
That's an interesting knot. Obviously, you want to play green creatures to get the benefit, but obviously you want to play non-green creatures to get the benefit. The only real answer is to play Dwarven Song and Holy Light and confuse everyone as to what color their anything is aighrhagghgg I hate this card.

Ranking WIP
Show
Hide
1. Gwendlyn, Black Widow of Urborg
2. Councillor Riven Turnbull
3. Gwendlyn the Vile
4. Jacques le Vert of Pendelhaven
5. Sol'Kanar, Extended Reign
Last edited by OneAndOnly 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 2 months ago

shullz: This definitely calls back to the original printing of Gwendlyn in the random discarding part. She's a fascinating creature because her stealing ability is tied to pure randomness, which is fair.

Komandon: This twist on mana burn is pretty neat; I never would have thought of that myself. I think it's something we could see printed on a real card one day. Oddly enough the copy ability could ignite an infinite mana play for the opponent. Delve on the first instant or sorcery each turn is quite huge. The synergies on this card are pretty high.

Raptorchan: She is so rude against players who want their own creatures back. She will make for a not fun time playing against her in commander if she is the leader of the deck. But on second reading, the ability to hypercharge an opponent's own act of treason effect will surely cause chaos, so a chaos build could happen.

OneandOnly: The first ability probably will take a couple readings to fully grok. I think the skipping a draw step part is minimal compared to the ability to draw one + X, where X is your number of opponents each cycle.

netn10: A very nicely conjured creature matters card.

Top 3:

3rd place: Raptorchan
2nd place: netn10
1st place: Komandon
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 2 months ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
shullz wrote:
2 months ago
Deathtouch
2/5
Just looked it up. No MTG card has the name Black Widow. Not even the spider. I'm surprised. Fits her. She means chaotic so the random discard makes sense too. And unlike Specters with flying you gave an ability that fits her better. Deathtouch. The ability to sac the creature normally would be too powerful I do see her easy to deal with. Plus you have to have the right cards to discards.
Raptorchan wrote:
2 months ago
Gwendlyn the Vile ubr
3/3
First ability I understand. The second one. I had to think about. Donate effects and helping if they do steal effects. Definitely unique. Combining stealing and donating which those colors both do.
OneAndOnly wrote:
2 months ago
4/4
🤔 so you would try to take advance of max handsize and discard/draw trigger effects. Different take on the presenting loses of life.
marioguy3 wrote:
2 months ago
Haste
5/4
Yep. He definitely needed to have Elemental added. And he is a king so Monarch makes sense. It's a good spin of his original weaker ability of you casting black spells. Could be a one turn KO. Don't see his swamp elemental aspects in the card.
netn10 wrote:
2 months ago
5/3
I thought of doing this or Dirk as a Wizard original. Him based on 1/1s. Not that new bear legandary and white MKM being too over done. You surpassed anything I would have done with him. Giving you a bonus for diversity in your color creatures. And having a green center keeping to his defender of Pendlhaven. 👍 I'm not even a Naya player but I would like this as a commander.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1st: netn10
2nd: shullz
3rd: Raptorchan

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Quick reminder to @netn10 and @Raptorchan to post at least a top 3!

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

1) marioguy3
2) netn10
3) shullz

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And owing to a tie for 4th place, our top 5 contestants are:

Komandon
netn10
shullz
Raptorchan
marioguy3

Next round coming soon!

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

@void_nothing ?

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”