February MCC Round 3 - Legion

Locked Previous topicNext topic
Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Raptorchan » 3 months ago

(Gandalf, Friend of the Shire by Dmitry Burmak)

February MCC Round 3

Legion

Times change, and what seemed impossible yesterday is pretty much real now. So, keeping with the changes, we are making Universes Beyond MCC contest this month - here we meet characters from other universes that somehow took form of Magic cards. Magic multiverse is big - but what lies beyond its boundaries can be even bigger...

Main Challenge - Design a creature card from your chosen IP that has Squad.

Subchallenge 1 - Your card doesn't have ETB abilities other than Squad effect itself.

Subchallenge 2 - Your card's squad must be paid by at least one colored mana and/or must be paid with something else than generic mana.

Clarifications
Show
Hide
Main Challenge

Squad is an ability for whatever reason already present in three UB sets (see here). Your card must have Squad ability on itself, granting it to other spells doesn't count.

Subchallenge 1
Squad creating copies works as ETB ability, but your card shouldn't have other "When ~ enters the battlefield" abilities. Any other abilities are fine.

Subchallenge 2
Many Squad abilities can be paid by generic mana only, but this is not the case. So, for example, Squad 2 is not okay. Squad b is okay. Squad 2b is also okay. Squad 2, Dicsard a card is okay. Squad—Pay 10 life is fine too.

If you have any more questions, feel free to post them in the MCC discussion thread.
You can also check out the MCC Guidelines and FAQ.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Friday, March 1st 2024 at 23:59 Eastern Time

Judging deadline: Thursday, March 7th 2024 at 23:59 Eastern Time

RUBRIC
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
The MCC Rubric is given below, in an easily "copy and pasted" form. (Courtesy of Rithaniel.)

Code: Select all

[b]Design[/b]
[b](X/3) Appeal[/b] - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
[b](X/3) Elegance[/b] - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

[b]Development[/b]
[b](X/3) Viability[/b] - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
[b](X/3) Balance[/b] - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

[b]Creativity[/b]
[b](X/3) Uniqueness[/b] - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
[b](X/3) Flavor[/b] - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

[b]Polish[/b]
[b](X/3) Quality[/b] - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
[b](X/2) Main Challenge (*)[/b] - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
[b](X/2) Subchallenges[/b] - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

[b]Total: X/25[/b]
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.

JUDGES

Raptorchan
void_nothing

PLAYERS

@netn10 (Witcher)
@Freyleyes (Warhammer 40k)
@Caspernicus (LotR/Hobbit)
@slimytrout (Song of Ice and Fire)
@Subject16 (Song of Ice and Fire)
@AnotherAlias (D&D)
@OneAndOnly (Song of Ice and Fire)

BRACKETS
Since we have uneven number of players this time, all judges must judge all seven entries. Three players with top combined score advance to final round.

OneAndOnly
Pronoun: he / him

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 months ago

White Walker -- 1BB
Creature - Zombie {U}
Squad -- B, Pay 2 life, Exile a creature card from a graveyard
When White Walker enters, if three or more other Zombies enter simultaneously, create The Night King, a legendary 4/4 black Zombie creature token with deathtouch, wither, and "Whenever this creature attacks, reanimate a creature card from any graveyard. Put a finality counter on that creature."
4/2
Last edited by OneAndOnly 3 months ago, edited 4 times in total.

Freyleyes

Post by Freyleyes » 3 months ago

The Adepta Sororitas 1W
Creature — Human Warrior {R}
Squad 1W
Vigilance, lifelink
T: Adepta Sororitas deals 1 damage to target attacking creature. Amass Human 1 (Put a +1/+1 counter on an Army you control. It's also a Human. If you don't control an Army, create a 0/0 white Human Army creature token first.)
"We protect the Emperor as he protects us."
1/1
Last edited by Freyleyes 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 3 months ago

Rangers of the Watch 1WB
Creature — Human Soldier Ranger (R)
Squad—1, Exile a non-Soldier creature you control or a non-Soldier creature card from your graveyard. (As an additional cost to cast this spell, you may pay its squad cost any number of times. When this creature enters the battlefield, create that many tokens that are copies of it.)
Whenever Rangers of the Watch attacks, it gets +1/+1 for each untapped Soldier you control.
From broken men into brothers.
2/2
Last edited by slimytrout 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Caspernicus

Post by Caspernicus » 3 months ago

The Uruk-hai of Isengard 3br
Creature — Orc Warrior (R)
Squad—Sacrifice a land. (As an additional cost to cast this spell, you may pay its squad cost any number of times. When this creature enters the battlefield, create that many tokens that are copies of it.)
Menace
Whenever a Goblin or Orc you control deals combat damage, amass Orcs 1. (Put a +1/+1 counter on an Army you control. It's also an Orc. If you don't control an Army, create a 0/0 black Orc Army creature token first.)
4/4
Last edited by Caspernicus 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Commanders: Zaffai, Thunder Conductor, Denethor, Ruling Steward
Pet Cards: Etali, Primal Storm, Creative Technique
When doubt does stride with iron-laden foot
and chooses take my pride in my own self,
in ragged chains drag I to hell from wealth
and broken, wear’ly slog through ashen soot.
Doubt’s trumpet sounds, that full religious toot
which howls in pompous, mocking, vibrant health
as I run far away, in fear 'f myself,
and chase away the day I end kaput.
But even in the hand of vill’nous doubt,
I know I’ll rise above in victory.
And even when I’m hit with doubter’s clout,
I have no doubt I’ll see that sun-kissed sea.
For even when some faith in me I lack,
I know — in time — I can my doubt attack.

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 3 months ago

Dothraki Bloodriders 1BR
Creature — Human Warrior Nomad (R)
Squad—, Pay 3 life (As an additional cost to cast this spell, you may pay its squad cost any number of times. When this creature enters the battlefield, create that many tokens that are copies of it.)
Battle cry (Whenever this creature attacks, each other attacking creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn.)
Dash 2BR (You may cast this spell for its dash cost. If you do, it gains haste, and it's returned from the battlefield to its owner's hand at the beginning of the next end step.)
3/2

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 3 months ago

Clerics of Baravar
Creature — Gnome Wizard Rogue (M)
Squad (As an additional cost to cast this spell, you may pay any number of times. When this creature enters the battlefield, create that many tokens that are copies of it.)
When Clerics of Baravar enters, if it's not a token, at the beginning of the next end step, secretly choose a creature named Clerics of Baravar you control. When the chosen creature dies, reveal your choice, then sacrifice all creatures named Clerics of Baravar you control.
3/2

netn10

Post by netn10 » 3 months ago

Nekker Savages
Creature - Ogre Warrior (Uncommon)
Flash
Haste
Squad - Sacrifice a creature or a Food
XP - 10 (When this creature dies, you get 10 XP counters.)
2/2
XP
Show
Hide
(You start at level 1. When you gain the next level, your XP becomes 0.)
Level 2, 20XP: You gain 5 life.
Level 3, 40XP: Creatures you control gets +1/+1.
Level 4, 60XP: At the beginning of your upkeep, draw a card.
Level 5, 80XP: Spells you cast cost 1 less to cast.
Level 6, 100XP: At the beginning of your upkeep, destroy up to two target permanents.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 3 months ago

I can't delete this post apparently, sorry.
Last edited by netn10 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 3 months ago

Submissions are closed. Let's judge.

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 months ago

netn10, you must have paid the squad cost for your post! :P

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 2 months ago

OneAndOnly
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy wants the legendary token, Jxnny wants to try to cheat out the legendary token, Spike might even be tempted in a self-mill deck.
(1.5/3) Elegance - A lot going on here - the Night King token having deathtouch AND wither is just an oddity, but the complexity of his text and the fact that there will most likely be multiple legendary tokens created and immediately poofing out of existence is more inelegant.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Definitely a design that's fully in black's slice of the color pie. The rarity is kind of throwing me, however - yes, it is essentially a vanilla if not summoning the Night's King, but the said token's tracking complexity and the importance of the character would seem to push this to rare.
(3/3) Balance - No issues here - the squad ability has some relatively difficult nonmana costs and you only get the powerful legendary token if you invest quite a lot into this card.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Mostly a horde of vanilla Giant Cockroach bodies unless the legendary token get made, and that has a unique condition, obviously a new combination of abilities, and expands upon squad design space.
(3/3) Flavor - Pretty nicely captures the flavor of the White Walkers in the TV version. The book version (the Others), maybe less so - GRRM has said they're not undead - but that gets a major pass especially because so little is explained about them in the books.

Polish
(0/3) Quality - There is frankly a lot I have to dock for here, principally because in the MCC especially, you can't just use informal shorthand on cards and expect to get full points. Everyone may know what you mean by "reanimate" but that doesn't mean you can write it on rules text - it's basically a cheat to get out of writing longer text that would cramp a text box. You can't drop "the battlefield" after "enters", either, and costs like this squad cost need a period at the end.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done with some panache.
(1/2) Subchallenges - Does have a non-squad ETB ability (to make a different token).

Total: 18/25
Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Txmmy for the lifegain and amassing, Jxnny for the moving parts to combo with, Spike for the toolbox/rattlesnake aspects.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Quite a bit of text between two keywords and a somewhat long tap ability, but overall not a difficult card to understand even with the repeated amassing.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely feels white and rare.
(3/3) Balance - This scales really nicely with its squad cost. Having just one of these out, without paying for the squad, gives you a fragile creature with a fairly powerful activated ability. Having several out turns it into a force to be reckoned with.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Mostly a mashup card, but the ping-attacker+amass ability has a pretty interesting dynamic on a card with squad.
(2.5/3) Flavor - That flavor text seems slightly off to me: The Sororitas don't really protect the Emperor himself because that's the job of the Custodes. They're more about protecting imperial ideals and enforcing the will of the Ecclesiarchy. Yes the Sisters of Silence worked with the Custodians before being banished but that's basically a whole different thing.

Polish
(1/3) Quality - So inherent to the amass mechanic is the tokens being black, oddly enough - this means that the amass reminder text you used isn't really correct. There are also a period and italic tags missing.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done nicely.
(2/2) Subchallenges - And done.

Total: 21/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy likes the potential size, Jxnny sees this as a good include in vigilance.dek, Spike is more skeptical but likes the cheap squad cost for good if non-evasive attackers.
(2.5/3) Elegance - That squad cost is relatively long-winded but otherwise this is a highly elegant card.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Rare seems right, and both white and black get exalted-like abilities and can exile from graveyards, et cetera. Colors also fit the Night's Watch flavor.
(3/3) Balance - No issues here - can get big but only if you leave a fair number of blockers behind.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Basically a variant card on some pretty well-known effects, but the total package is nice.
(3/3) Flavor - An extremely flavorful squad cost that lets you actually induct your creatures into the Watch - genius.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done very well.

Total: 22.5/25
Caspernicus
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Absolutely everybody wants their Uruk army - Txmmy for the sheer scale of it, Jxnny to do nefarious things with tokens or counters, Spike just because it's that efficient.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Could contribute quite a lot of tracking complexity, but each individual ability is perfectly understantable.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Spot-on as far as colors and rarity.
(1.5/3) Balance - I don't mind a five-mana rare being potentially game-ending, and land sacrifice is at least a risky move, but things like squad that doesn't cost mana and exponential triggered abilities can easily get out of hand. If you have, say, three Uruk-hai of Isengard on the board and no other Goblins or Orcs, then you attack with all three, that means you get to amass 9.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - The completely nonmana squad cost and the... frankly over-the-top amass ability are both interesting, but ultimately variants on things we've seen plenty.
(3/3) Flavor - Even the squad cost of this card is quite flavorful, given that Isengard's major role in the story involved devastating Fangorn Forest and incurring the eventual wrath of the ents.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good to me.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done fairly creatively.

Total: 22/25
Subject16
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Txmmy likes multiple battle cry tokens. Jxnny sees a somewhat linear design that still has options and things to manipulate. Spike likes the efficiency/rate.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Three non-evergreen keywords here, two involving alternate ways to cast the spell, but all of them are now quite familiar and use reminder text.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Colors and rarity look right for sure.
(3/3) Balance - No issues - yes the squad cost might be a bit pushed, but 3 life per copy is still pretty steep and risky.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - While this is sort of a Modern Horizons-like "keywords only mashup" card, it is a never-before-seen combination.
(2/3) Flavor - Battle cry, dash, and squad make for what I must say is an odd combination of effects and flavor. Dash means that only the original gets haste while the tokens do not - I imagine one Dothraki warrior riding ahead while the others awkwardly cheer him on. I wish, for both flavor and mechanical reasons, this somehow gave its tokens haste if it was dashed, but that would be a lot of words in the text box potentially. I must say - great use of the Nomad type though.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done.

AnotherAlias
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal - Mostly a Jxnny card if anything due to the wackiness. Txmmy would like a cheap 3/2 token army but the startup cost and drawback turn them off, while Spike doesn't think this is a good rate at all.
(1.5/3) Elegance - This is tough to judge - on the surface of it this is a hard-to-word but easy-to-understand drawback. However, asking for a secret choice among otherwise identical options seems like it would possibly open the door to cheating. I guess you could have your opponents look away while you hide a scrap of paper underneath one of the tokens... but what if you don't have token cards? You'd also have to make sure you didn't move your indicator while tapping them if you did have the cards, et cetera. I also don't really understand why it's an end step trigger...

Development
(2/3) Viability - Blue works pretty well for this kind of ability that admittedly doesn't have much precedent, given the whole "fragile illusions" thing. I really can't see this card at mythic, however, not for reasons of mechanical complexity per se (although yeah there are things that make it inelegant), nor flavor, nor power.
(2/3) Balance - This feels pretty underpowered if anything - it's completely unplayable without paying the squad cost (as a virtual vanilla 3/2 for 3UU), one iteration of squad still isn't great, and by the time you get to making numbers of tokens that are sort of worthwhile you're getting into costs of 3UUUUU and higher, which is mana that could be better spent in so many ways. Compared to things like Hour of Eternity this card underwhelms.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - An unusual drawback on what otherwise is a vanilla 3/2 creature.
(2.5/3) Flavor - I suppose this is supposed to be a cardification of invoke duplicity, which is already a thing on Trickster's Talisman, but that's not too big a deal. Where the flavor slightly breaks down is that power maxes out at four illusionary doubles and obviously squad has no maximum.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks fine.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Yep, done well.
(1/2) Subchallenges - Has an ETB ability that isn't squad.

Total: 16.5/25
netn10
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Mostly a Jxnny card to spam XP with - Txmmy has only minor interest while Spike may not be interested at all unless there's a serious aristocrats-type synergy this is needed for.
(1.5/3) Elegance - Experience points look like a very complicated mechanic. They're certainly flavorful, but not helping is the fact that experience counters are already a thing - leveling up for players would be a lot of fun, yes, but hard to implement, and this implementation has some challenges. The card itself also has both flash and haste, which adds a kind of timing complexity

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Complications of the keyword this card has aside, it still fits at uncommon. A flash creature without an ETB ability that requires it is kind of borderline in red, so hybrid may not be fully appropriate, but I'll let it slide somewhat.
(2.5/3) Balance - This card mostly looks fair but in a vacuum it's hard to tell how good the XP mechanic is.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Sacrificing a Food is an unusual squad cost and experience points are new but ultimately this is mostly a small creature with flash and haste.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Nekkers are ogroid creatures in the Witcher universe, certainly, but that doesn't mean the correct type for them is necessarily "ogre" - this is part of what makes other-IP to Magic conversion so tricky.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Squad cost is missing a period and I don't think the XP keyword would have a dash as keywords with numerical parameters never do unless there's also a cost involved.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Done really well, I have to say - one big part of the Witcher 3 experience is fighting so many nekkers.

Total: 19.5/25
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 2 months ago

OneAndOnly
Show
Hide
Design
(2,5/3) Appeal - All three types of players would like to play this, but Spike is not fully interested (see also Balance).
(1,5/3) Elegance - You made a common mistake here - every token you create through Squad has the same ability so your card will create multiple legendary tokens which is likely wasn't an intention, and the best solution was to add "it it's not a token" to ETB ability. Current wording would absolutaly lead to big confusions. See also Quality section.

Development
(2,5/3) Viability - The token being legendary and with a power level of a rare suggests different rarity. If Walkers summoning their king were different cards like Shadowborn Apostle, then fine, but your card can do it all by itself.
(2,5/3) Balance - Not getting full score because squad is situational.

Creativity
(2,5/3) Uniqueness - I can't say it's not something unique, although abilities are known, just mixed in a different way.
(2,5/3) Flavor - According to different sources, Walkers can be or can not be zombies, so it passes. They also possess powers to reanimate living beings, so fine. Funny enough that WHITE walker is black, but mechanically and flavorfully it fits - that's just a known issue with UB cards that started from AFR set and its dragons. My one and only real flavor issue here is the fact that Night King isn't a Noble.

Polish
(0,5/3) Quality - No dot at the end of Squad cost (see Thrill-Kill Disciple). Using "enters" is preemptive - I know, starting from Bloomburrow "enters the battlefield" is gonna be shortened, but we must follow current templating right now. Changing "put target card from a graveyard to the battlefield under your control" to "reanimate" is also not something supported by the current rules and a big issue. Last, "put a finality counter..." also must be worded as "with a finality counter on it".
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Yes.
(1/2) Subchallenges - Has ETB ability.

Total: 17,5/25
Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Interesting enough for all three types of players. Especially Johnny and Spike who are going to abuse it.
(2/3) Elegance - The only issue bothering me is the fact that you can use its ping ability on your own attackers - it doesn't look like something intentional.

Development
(3/3) Viability - White and rare, no problems.
(2,5/3) Balance - Repeated amassing is a very dangerous thing, but it's compensated by the fact that your creature is very fragile.

Creativity
(2,5/3) Uniqueness - This combination of abilities reminds about existing cards such as Orcish Bowmasters, but of course that's not a full copy.
(2,5/3) Flavor - I don't think amassing armies of humans is something that Sororitas actually do. Other than that, fine.

Polish
(0,5/3) Quality - It has "The" in the name but misses it in the rules text. "Amass Human" must be "Amass Humans" - see other cards that amass Orcs or Zombies. White armies aren't currently supported by the rules - only black ones. "Then" is also missed - see Orcish Bowmasters again for the example of templating. Last, flavor text must be italicized.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Both yes.

Total: 20/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Design
(2,5/3) Appeal - All three types of players would like to play this, but Spike is not fully interested due to the situational Squad cost.
(2/3) Elegance - Card requires some math and squad cost is quite complicated, so minus one point.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definetely a rare, can be white, but I see it being Orzhov because it can use graveyard as a resource.
(2,5/3) Balance - Not giving it a full score because of the situational Squad cost.

Creativity
(2,5/3) Uniqueness - A neat tweak of Champion and other mechanics - known enough but the mix is fine.
(3/3) Flavor - I like this. Turning non-soldiers into soldiers is nice, and using graveyard represents losses of those who decided to join Watch, I guess? Flavor text is elegant and very evocative,

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Nice to see a card without quality issues.

Total: 22,5/25
Caspernicus
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - All three players would gladly lay their hands on this card.
(2/3) Elegance - Something that (I swear) will get over heads of many players at least for the first time is the fact that triggered ability of amassing will trigger separately for each uruk-hai, let it be token copy or original.

Development
(2,5/3) Viability - Personally, I would upgrade it to Mythic due to Limited issues and sheer power level of the card.
(1,5/3) Balance - Manaless kicker is a dangerous thing. How dangerous? The fact you can get SIX 4/4 bodies on turn 5 (by saccing all of your lands, but still) is already scary enough, but with simply attacking with them next turn you will get a 36/36 Army, by six triggers from each one of them. Not good enough? There are tools to fight this of course but I would absolutely hate to play against such nuclear bomb in both limited and constructed.

Creativity
(2,5/3) Uniqueness - I suppose the uniqueness of this card is very high.
(3/3) Flavor - Full score because uruk-hai are freaking scary and devastating. Evokes scenes from LotR movies easily where Saruman musters an army worthy of Mordor by devastating nearby forests.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - No mistakes here.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Met.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Both met.

Total: 21,5/25
Subject16
Show
Hide
Design
(2,5/3) Appeal - Only Timmy can be a bit sceptical about this card because paying life is dangerous, others are fine.
(2,5/3) Elegance - Three wordy abilities plus the fact that only original has haste if you cast it for its dash cost...

Development
(3/3) Viability - Yes, it's a rare and colors are appropriate. I would consider Mardu colors but that's me, it can work as is.
(2,5/3) Balance - It would have been close to being perfectly balanced if not the fact that you can create squad tokens repeatedly, but it requires some resources such as high life. Not a big issue in Commander though and though.

Creativity
(2,5/3) Uniqueness - It's a mix of existing mechanics for sure, but unseen one.
(2,5/3) Flavor - I like the tiny trivia that the highest known number of bloodriders a khal ever had is 7 and your card can give you 7 in a regular game where you can pay up to 18 life for six copies. Other than that, I adore the similarities between Mardu horde and Dothraki horde, mechanics and Nomad creature type. The only issue I see here is the lack of haste - the card just begs for it for many reasons.

Polish
(2,5/3) Quality - No dot at the end of Squad cost (see Thrill-Kill Disciple).

AnotherAlias
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal - Timmy and Spike don't care. Johhny can.
(2/3) Elegance - This has some weird parts such as choosing one cleric at the end of turn which feels off, but I must said it's not tough to understand. Tracking issues that occur every time you secretly choose something, however...

Development
(3/3) Viability - Gold rarity is deserved due to the complexity of the card. Weird stuff plus copies that are sort of illusions always belonged to blue.
(1,5/3) Balance - It's quite a weak card that requires too much mana to be scary and also has safety valves with sacrificing your stuff. Can't affect gameplay much even for limited.

Creativity
(2,5/3) Uniqueness - Illusory copies are not something unknown, but this is done is a different way.
(2,5/3) Flavor - from what I know, clerics of Baravar are actual priests of their deity of illusions and deception, so Cleric creature type is what was really needed here instead of a Wizard.

Polish
(2,5/3) Quality - Using "enters" is preemptive - I know, starting from Bloomburrow "enters the battlefield" is gonna be shortened, but we must follow current templating right now.
(1/2) Subchallenges - Has ETB ability even if delayed one.

Total: 18/25
netn10
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal - Personally I can see only Johnny being interested in it - not big enough effect for Timmy and Spike to care much.
(1,5/3) Elegance - This card has four mechanics with one of them being really really complicated, but only few reminder text.
Development
(3/3) Viability - I see no problems with spamming flashy token copies in multiples by sacrificing stuff if it was green and/or black, but this being played in monored feels odd. Rarity is okay.
(2/3) Balance - It's a weak card and only sacrificing multiple Foods for 2/2 bodies can make it really playable. As is it probably doesn't live up to expectations and we don't know much about other XP enablers.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - Guess I see a card that deserves full points, finally.
(2/3) Flavor - Using XP in my opinion belongs more to DnD rather than Witcher but if we uild our hypothetical Witcher set around games - then fine. What this card is really lacks is flavor text - you saved lots and lots of space by omitting reminder texts so better do something with it.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - Two minor issues here, no dot after the dash cost (see Thrill-Kill Disciple) and dash after XP isn't needed since that's not a cost.

Total: 18,5/25

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 2 months ago

Total scores for this round:

@slimytrout 22,5+22,5 = 45
@Subject16 22+22 = 44
@Caspernicus 22+21,5 = 43,5

@Freyleyes 21+20 = 41
@netn10 19,5+18,5 = 38
@OneAndOnly 18+17,5 = 35,5
@AnotherAlias 16,5+18 = 34,5

As I promised, three top players advance to the final round (going to post it next midnight, ET time).

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”