Sometimes...Greed Isn't Good, It's GREAT!!!

Boros_Blendo
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Boros_Blendo » 2 months ago

This deck started as a forum query on MTG Salvation, and the concensus was that I was being too greedy with packing in 4 kill conditions. And while I saw their logic, and might normally agree, I felt the combination would be something I could fit in. So, I resisted the advice to distill to one kill condition ad nauseum. And boy, am I glad I did. It has four distinct kill conditions, and they all work seamlessly together in one, nasty synergistic way to finish out what the other doesn't quite get done. That, and it's themed after the movie the "The Mummy"...who doesn't love a good Brendan Fraser movie in a deck? :grin:

Seriously, the four kill conditions are: 1. Torment of Hailfire with Dark Ritual after my resilient creatures wear down the opponent 2. Gray Merchant of Asphodel devotion kill 3. Buried Alive and Demigod of Revenge 4. Nest of Scarabs and Black Sun's Zenith with Skinrender added in for good measure. I have killed people with all the various ways singly, and also in conjunction with another...they are all legit and none of them interfere with each other. Sometimes, greed is VERY GOOD. This is my best deck in 60-card format, hands down.

Post any decks here where you went against all advice, and pulled out a kill-switch smorgasborg. I'd love to see what you came up with!

The Mummy

Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Diz
Griever
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Diz » 2 months ago

I'd love to see how this deck plays - I tried to make Demigod of Revenge work in 60-card, but was unfortunately unsuccessful in my endeavors. If it works for you, however, that's pretty cool!

Boros_Blendo
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Boros_Blendo » 2 months ago

That's the great thing about the decklist tag on this site. Hit the draw 7 option, and top deck to see how this thing can play for ten turns. The most recent game with The Mummy was a star game, and was turn 2 Bloodghast, turn 3 Nest of Scarabs, turn 4 Skinrender for three bugs, turn 5 Black Sun's Zenith for X=3 for 36 bugs, then turn 6 split attack for 18 bugs at each opponent. One died outright, the other took 17 damage and then fell to a Dark Ritual/Torment of Hailfire for X=5 in the same turn, post attack. End of game.

The Demigod really doesn't function well without Dark Ritual, at least not in the early game. He can be as easy as turn 3 Buried Alive to put 3 in the graveyard, then turn 4 Dark Ritual/Demigod of Revenge to get all 4 in play and swing for lethal over the top. I've done that twice only, but they are incredibly strong in multiples over the course of the game and most often serve as turbo chargers for Gary devotion kills along with 2 pip devotion creatures that keep coming back like Bloodghast. They are also pretty cool for simple 5 damage, hasty flyers at their worst. Pretty solid creature, but I had to work to find how they can work in this deck as well.

Diz
Griever
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Diz » 2 months ago

Boros_Blendo wrote:
2 months ago
That's the great thing about the decklist tag on this site. Hit the draw 7 option, and top deck to see how this thing can play for ten turns. The most recent game with The Mummy was a star game, and was turn 2 Bloodghast, turn 3 Nest of Scarabs, turn 4 Skinrender for three bugs, turn 5 Black Sun's Zenith for X=3 for 36 bugs, then turn 6 split attack for 18 bugs at each opponent. One died outright, the other took 17 damage and then fell to a Dark Ritual/Torment of Hailfire for X=5 in the same turn, post attack. End of game.

The Demigod really doesn't function well without Dark Ritual, at least not in the early game. He can be as easy as turn 3 Buried Alive to put 3 in the graveyard, then turn 4 Dark Ritual/Demigod of Revenge to get all 4 in play and swing for lethal over the top. I've done that twice only, but they are incredibly strong in multiples over the course of the game and most often serve as turbo chargers for Gary devotion kills along with 2 pip devotion creatures that keep coming back like Bloodghast. They are also pretty cool for simple 5 damage, hasty flyers at their worst. Pretty solid creature, but I had to work to find how they can work in this deck as well.
Yeah, Dark Rit + Buried Alive was definitely the route I attempted when I was trying to make it work. Basing it on a movie is a really cool concept, though, I will say!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Casual”