"But, But, I Like Cheeseballs..."

Boros_Blendo
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Boros_Blendo » 2 months ago

Who doesn't love a good cheeseball synergy? For every single one I can bring up, there's a dozen others. I'll admit that I have some decks that run the gauntlet of being too cheesy. Please post your own cheeseball synergy decks, I love hearing stories.

My first of two cheeseball synergies uses Dark Depths and Vampire Hexmage. Dark Depths was a dollar-bin jank card until the hexmage came out and at one point the card inflated to 100 dollars a copy. Yikes! Yes, it's cheeseball. I put this deck together to be a Vintage answer to a kid that briefly joined our group and infamously only played with a single, very-tuned tournament deck. It was so tuned it was tough to overcome in our casual group, and he seemed clueless about that. Yes, there is some seriously un-fun stuff here, and that's kind of the point. Even though he left the group before I could drop this on his head, I made a few changes and here is what remains. Yes, if it's not a specter, they are all shamans (cultists). At some point, I may add Thespian's Stage in to trip Dark Depths, but that's another day. My friend's son nailed me with his own depths deck the other day, and I gotta admit, that worked pretty seamlessly (and shamelessly).

Cult of Marit Lage

Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

The second cheeseball synergy is Sword of the Meek and Thopter Foundry. The deck itself can roll just fine with this as a major go-wide effort underpinned with Master of Etherium, and my friends never cease to remind me of the cheeseball synergy. However, the deck itself also has a much, much more devious long-term gameplan. Using the Esper shard offerings full-force, it uses the graveyard as a second, unlimited-size hand, and cycles stuff in and out with Sanctum Gargoyle, Master Transmuter, Sphinx Summoner, and Sharuum the Hegemon to do what I want, repeatedly, with etb effects, including sweepers and targeted removal of anything that isn't an indestructible enchantment/non-creature artifact...which means there isn't much that can't be dealt with. Of the forty-some 60-format decks I own, if I'm going to take a non-FFA deck and go FFA, this is the one, mainly because the Esper synergies and the cheeseball go-wide part seamlessly work together.

Esper Artifacts

One deck is hopelessly all about the cheeseball synergy as THE win condition, the other wraps it into a large whole. What are the cheeseball synergies you use, how do they fit into the larger whole (or is it the entire deck basis), and will you kindly post the decklist here? Thanks!

Diz
Griever
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Diz » 2 months ago

Thopter Sword and Turbo Depths are actually quite strong, the latter in Legacy, and the former in Modern, I think? I can't recall if Thopter Sword is a thing in Legacy, but I'm sure you could make it work - but yeah, I can definitely see why both of these might be rough to face at a casual table!

Boros_Blendo
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Boros_Blendo » 2 months ago

You bring up a great point about rough decks at a casual table. My group has spanned for three decades and a second generation. We've had a weird mix of dirt-poor players that barely have three functional decks, (which means we see the same ones all the time), and other folks that have as many as 50-60 decks. But we are all good friends. I've been slowly pushing the group to raise the power level of games over the years by fielding decks that push the limit in the group, and the group has slowly come along now to where everyone has really good answers to just about anything. I don't run away with the table with Turbo Depths even when I'm the wing in an Emperor's game. In fact, I've been killed with my own Marit Lage token...go figure. Blightsteel Colossus?...meh. I have, for years, had some really strong sucker-punch decks, but almost never played them other than once in a great while to avoid being too oppressive. But now, the group's competition level has become such that I can play them among other regular decks and I don't have to worry about being too-Archenemy all the time. It's great that I get pulverized as much as the other guy. That consideration for what the other player has to play against is shared by the whole group, which is probably why we are getting together again next week.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Casual”