Besides Commander, what else casual do you play?

Boros_Blendo
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Boros_Blendo » 2 months ago

So, you only have to look at the posts by category to know that the most gravity is with Commander. That said, I only have 8 Commander decks, and something like 49 in total. The rest for me are all constructed to Vintage legality. "Vintage?!" you might say. Yep, when I started playing, there was only one format. It only started to become Type I after Type II was created. Both would respectively come to be known as Vintage and Standard. I played when there were only 40 card decks and 60 was considered "loafage", decks of 40 Rukh Eggs were discussed (and outlawed) for tournament, and there were only three main sets and two expansions. A lot has changed from then. For myself, I still love 60 card formats and my friends play most all the games within: star, 2HG, Emperor, MP FFA, duel, swing to the left, you name it. Many of my casual Vintage-construction can go toe-to-toe with other format's tournament decks, but they are still not anything I would ever put in a tournament. I know we don't all play nothing but Commander, so what do you have in addition? And, please note that you can discuss pauper, standard, other formats, so long as it's a "casual" kitchen-table deck.

Diz
Griever
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Diz » 2 months ago

Hello and welcome! I feel like you'd get along swimmingly with our resident Casual mod, RabidVacin - he has an absolutely massive load of 60-card decks that I believe are all Vintage-legal, but nowhere near Vintage power.

I personally enjoy Casual-60 as a non-format, myself, and if you take a look at the Homebrew and Variant Formats section, I have a thread on Hobo created over there, which is a variant format and hella fun.

I have 2 Casual-60 decks and just bought a 3rd - I have a tendency to give my decks to friends, or take apart the ones with higher-end pieces for trade-in/sale value - and have a boatload of threads in this area with my past and present decklists. Take a look, if you'd like! My current decks (including the one I just bought) are UG Legendary Dragonsong, CRAB BATTLE!!!, and Tyranids. That said, I have more Legacy decks than Casual-60 decks, and more Commander decks than Legacy decks, so, ymmv!

Boros_Blendo
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Boros_Blendo » 2 months ago

Good deal, I'll take a look at Hobo. Thanks for responding, I do want to revive some casual activity here as it's the bread and butter of my last 30 years playing this silly game.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Casual”