Cleaving Constantly

OneAndOnly
Pronoun: he / him

Post by OneAndOnly » 2 months ago

Lexikos, Infinite Splitter -- 3UBR
Legendary Creature - Human Scribe {M}
All your spells are cleaved.
3/4

"Kicker {cost}" : "If this card was kicked" :: "Cleave {cost}" : If this card was ... cleaved? Cloven?

Admittedly, treating all your spells as though an additional cost were paid is quite a power kick, but there are a limited number of cleave cards (and an even more limited number that share this card's color identity). I'd be leery of "All your spells are kicked," especially since some effects depend on which of several kicker costs were paid, or how many times a card was kicked.

But, to the point -- what's the proper wording? How over the top would this be?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 2 months ago

The clearest way would be to essentially set up an alternate alternate cost: "For each spell with cleave you cast, you may pay that spell's mana cost rather than its cleave cost."
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 2 months ago

Oh, that's pretty clever. Thank you!

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 month ago

...although, what you proposed is a "may" effect, whereas the original version is a "must" effect. So it's pay the card's mana cost, but have the effect of it being cleaved. Cloven. Cloft. w/e.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Card Rulings”