OTJ Outlaws of Thunder Junction Worldbuilding and Story

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 2 months ago

We are a week away from the first look at Outlaws of Thunder Junction so figured I'd get us started as info will start to come. Of note unlike MKM story which had a murder myster elements, spoilers will mostly be used for leaks and anything official shown by wotc or source they allow is considered fair to post here however you wish.

Yee-haw Outlaws of Thunder Junction is a villain set mixed with the Wild West and Weird West genre, showing magics rogue gallery from across the multiverse who have used the newly opened omenpaths to gather onto the plane of Thunder Junction. Most clearly shown amoung them is Oko the antiauthority fey who may or may not have lost his spark and likely will run into Kellan, his son who has been looking for his father.

Outlaws;

Oko's Gang;
Oko - Home plane unknown
Vraska - Ravnica
Ashiok (no card)- Home plane unknown*
Rakdos - Ravnica
Tiny Bones- Dominaria
Annie Flash (New)- Home plane unknown
Fortune (Annies Mount)- Home plane unknown
Kellan- Eldraine
Breeches - Ixalan
Malcolm- Ixalan
Eriette- Eldraine
Gisa- Innistrad
Geralf- Innistrad
Kaervek- Zhalfir
Satoru Umezawa- Kamigawa
Show
Hide
*Jace- Vryn

Other ruffians / Omenpath travelers

Capenna
Jolene
Yuma (New)
Roxanne (New)

Fiora
Selvala

Innistrad
Rutstein
Oliva
Kraum
Gitrog Monster

Kaladesh
Gonti

Kaldheim
Magda

Kamigawa
Nashi

Ravnica
Fblthp
Lazav
Ghired

Shandalar
Riku

Tarkir
Vial Smasher

Zendikar
Bruse

Homeplane unknown
Obeka
Stella (New)
Miriam (New)
Lilah (New)

Leaks
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Kambal- Kaladesh
Last edited by 5colorsrainbow 1 month ago, edited 13 times in total.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

CommanderMaster999
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 2 months ago

well there is one important notes
More leaks
Show
Hide
Bundles for arena was also leak and not only it confirms oko, vraska, theres a tinybones companion in arena so we know for sure he's the smallest figure.

also we also probably got the card names

"Oko, the ringleader"
"Vraska, the silencer"
"Kellen, the kid"

and box art/packs of the products also got leaked 5 days early (assuming they will be seen in the first look on friday)

the collector booster art seems to show kellan and oko about to do a classic cowboy dual it could go either way with that lorewise. its either "A" kellan learns his dad is a villain and takes him on or "B" he and oko don't realize they are blood related yet, and fight like regular old hero vs villain.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 2 months ago

I'm assuming the fact that disreputable characters are all gathering on this one plane was in fact engineered by Oko, who I assume does still have his spark so that he can be in reliable communication with them.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

5colorsrainbow

Updated info, Oko confirmed as still having his spark, which means likely Vraska will be desparked.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Yeah, I saw that one coming. Wonder if Jace will contact her through dreams?
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

CommanderMaster999

You know to go back to some lore

Tiny bones isn't necessary a crimnal (he's a pickpocket in this case)

But if we go back to his lore from jumpstart 1 essetionally he's like Robin Hood and the poor is his family

5colorsrainbow

OUTLAWS OF THUNDER JUNCTION | EPISODE 1: AN OFFER OF REVENGE by Akemi Dawn Bowman
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/magic ... of-revenge

5colorsrainbow

%$#% scorpion dragons?! No thank you. Also I love Annie I hope things turn out okay for her :/

CommanderMaster999

Summary
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Are Main Antagonist goes by the name of "Akul" a Dragon Scorpion and hes looking for a key of somesort its the last thing he needs

Annie Flash was an Ex Criminal and Akul nearly killed her nephew,

Oko wants help from Annie flash and his posse he made earlier to steal something from Akul
Other members
Show
Hide
for a reminder the other posse members are Tinybones, Vraska, and Rakdos, then latter on kellan finds him.
Kellan Came to Thunder Junction because Ezrim informed him The Omenpath that lead to this plane is the location of his Dad/Oko

Ral Zarek is here and is working with Niv-Mizzets plan from the Epilogue of Murders at Karlov manor (have Ravnica become a mtg version of the D&D place "Sigil, City of doors" which is a place to go to all planes, and we go minor deeper is he wants communication as well.

Part of the defense of these towers is the crimals likely want this technology

Him and Ral Zarek are going to place in thunder junction called "Prosperity" and kellan is Anixously wanting to go because he feels thats the most likely area to get info on his dad, and yes he is now getting the rumors that Oko was a trouble maker and untrustworth but he won't believe it till he sees for himself.

5colorsrainbow

OUTLAWS OF THUNDER JUNCTION | NO TELLS by Isaac Fellman
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/magic-story/no-tells

Introducing magic's first trans male character and the face of one of the commander decks.

CommanderMaster999

OUTLAWS OF THUNDER JUNCTION | EPISODE 2: THE JAILBREAK By Akemi Dawn Bowman
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/magic ... -jailbreak

Seems like we get a father and son meeting here.

And we can add Breeches, Brazen Plunderer also Kaervek the Merciless for list of characters here in Thunder junction

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

I'm floored that Kaervek is still alive, but I guess the good die young and bastards live forever.

Was he on Zhalfir at the time of the phase-out and only aged 10 years because of the slow-time whatsit?

CommanderMaster999

void_nothing wrote:
2 months ago
I'm floored that Kaervek is still alive, but I guess the good die young and bastards live forever.

Was he on Zhalfir at the time of the phase-out and only aged 10 years because of the slow-time whatsit?
That would be a yes teferi was informed Kaervek escaped his prison when he accidentally found a way on to Zhalfir from that time travel thing during brothers war story

5colorsrainbow

We got the follow up from Ashiok and Eriette. Ashiok is working for someone(s) and wanting something from the vault. Haven't been brought up here but two cards from the bonus sheet that was meant to be part of the epilouge set for this set both refernace the Fomori. Nexus of Becoming has the "golem" being one of the Fomori power suits in it (from unused concept art for lost caverns) and Sword of Wealth and Power kinda looks like its stabbing through a Fomori skull (note the horns look like Ruhan.

CommanderMaster999

5colorsrainbow wrote:
2 months ago
We got the follow up from Ashiok and Eriette. Ashiok is working for someone(s) and wanting something from the vault. Haven't been brought up here but two cards from the bonus sheet that was meant to be part of the epilouge set for this set both refernace the Fomori. Nexus of Becoming has the "golem" being one of the Fomori power suits in it (from unused concept art for lost caverns) and Sword of Wealth and Power kinda looks like its stabbing through a Fomori skull (note the horns look like Ruhan.
This might be a "That Settles it" type of thing

The mystery arc is likely called "the Fomori arc"

But a super mega questions now is starting to appear in my head.

The homeplane of the Fomori is "Ir" …. Is this Ashiok's homeplane? And is something in the vault belong to ashiok and trying to reclaim it.

CommanderMaster999

OUTLAWS OF THUNDER JUNCTION | BLOOD IS THICKER THAN VENOM by H.E. Edgmon
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/magic ... than-venom

This side story is basically a minor origin story of Annie Flash

5colorsrainbow

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 1 month ago

OUTLAWS OF THUNDER JUNCTION | EPISODE 3: A TRAIN TO PROSPERITY by Akemi Dawn Bowman
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/magic ... prosperity

5colorsrainbow

To quote Oko from the Wildered Quest "Fathers always betray their sons"

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 1 month ago

Rundown
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Akul now learns that Oko already got the key and sends his minions after him.

Oko introduces the gang but kellna very very very quickly recognizes ashiok and Eriette from the "wilds of eldraine" story and kellan was about to attack them again and insisted they are dangerous but oko stopped that and said it doesn't matter right now we got a bigger priority for the moment. (And yes Eriette recognized kellan very quickly as well and got a little ticked and said she would have charged more if he was joining, and then oko said almost a identical wording he gave to kellan)

Kaervek had a ancient artifact (likely something from the vault) he's a little causious it a clue that in the vault could potentially recreated another "March of the machine" type of thing
minor prediction
Show
Hide
Based on some clues so far this artifact could be Fomori related
The next mission is to get a fella named "Nolan" hostage and get information about the artifact and get info of where the vault is. And is on a train and kellan knows this from information.

They get to the train but things go wrong because gisa did her part of this plan way to early and unleash zombies in the train and the train is not slowing down after the explosion because the zombies already got the conductor(s)

And here's the big part kellan offically learns the hard way that during the train mission a few things happen that show the rumors on his dad were true "Ruthless and a trickster"
While sotoru was picking a lock he got shot by a guard kellan wanted to help him but oko said no (but satoru did say keep going anyway.), then kellan wanted to save the cilviians oko promised that would happen after the mission….but…. Then his claim was somewhat now became a lie all because the ambush of guards were getting close and oko said it's too late right when kellan was about to go for the train brakes.

Kellan holes the train down with his whips but oko disappeared while he was doing that. Looked like he was about to fail to rescue the cilvilians but fortunately Annie flash came in and told the cilivians to get out as quick as the could and they all got out so kellan was able to let go. Finally Annie flash got kellan on her horse and her and him ride back to the gain (and yes Sotoru is also on the horse so he's fine.)
future for episode 4 or 5
Show
Hide
On the collector booster box it seems kellan and oko are about to go at it in a quick draw battle, and this story seems to indicate why, kellan now knows oko is a true bad guy and cares only about himself.
Predictions for ending/future of story's
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Now there was suppose to be a aftermath and it's all stuff inside the vault

First is they will get to to vault defeat/slay Akul and open it.

Kaervek guess comes true and causes a "March of machine" type of thing to start, for my guess case the fomori are once again invading planes just like they did according to caverns of ixalan stuff.

Ashiok ends up being the big bad for all 3 arcs, and ashiok is either connected to the fomori or something in the vault that was once ashiok's is finally gonna get it back.

For a personally prediction I decided to look at all the ashiok arcs and do a comparison to the 2 fomori cards which is Ruhan of the Fomori and Fomori Nomad. And I noticed something.

Ashiok s horns looks very similar pattern to the Fomori, and I notice a white fire/mist like stuff on the fomori head area and the black mist could be similar to that,

Where I'm going with this is Ashiok could be a Fomori and probably a b centered fomori, and the homeplane is "Ir"

Secondary thing is from Nexus of Becoming and someunused concept art from caverns of ixalan

This is a "Fomori Spacesuit" from the bolded word, there's a excellent chance the first place we offically battle the fomori is the 2025 upcoming Space opera based set.

5colorsrainbow

I don't think Ashiok is a Fomori or from Ir (I think Duskmourn is the more likely place) but I think Ashiok at least knows the Fomori tech in the vault and wants it. Ashiok (purposely) is a mystery of character and hard to tell their motivation, so I could see Ashiok either helping the Fomori or wanting their tech for other reasons. Either or I do think Kaervek guess will come true that the vault will be the first step for the Fomori returning, either unleashing ones who are in stasis (like Quint found) or the tech inside enabling the Fomori start conquering planes again.

I think it would be fitting for Oko to getting trapped somehow (maybe in the vault) and Kellan to leave him behind. People where guessing Kellan might become a villian but I think this story shows he does have a base of mortality. I do. wonder what colors hes gonna be in this set and what his identity might solidify as.

CommanderMaster999

5colorsrainbow wrote:
1 month ago
I don't think Ashiok is a Fomori or from Ir (I think Duskmourn is the more likely place) but I think Ashiok at least knows the Fomori tech in the vault and wants it. Ashiok (purposely) is a mystery of character and hard to tell their motivation, so I could see Ashiok either helping the Fomori or wanting their tech for other reasons. Either or I do think Kaervek guess will come true that the vault will be the first step for the Fomori returning, either unleashing ones who are in stasis (like Quint found) or the tech inside enabling the Fomori start conquering planes again.

I think it would be fitting for Oko to getting trapped somehow (maybe in the vault) and Kellan to leave him behind. People where guessing Kellan might become a villian but I think this story shows he does have a base of mortality. I do. wonder what colors hes gonna be in this set and what his identity might solidify as.
oh i didn't think about duskmore since that is practically a playground for ashiok

(but being the big bad still stands though)

and how do you trap a planeswalker in that when they can just planeswalk?

tough call for kellans colors here base on chapters 2 and 3 it could be a roll of the dice with or based on how its going so far (but I'm gonna easily suspect on the next war of the spark set (which is after strixhaven 2) kellan is gonna be WUBRG)

5colorsrainbow

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
1 month ago

oh i didn't think about duskmore since that is practically a playground for ashiok
My guess is Ashiok will be mtg version of Freddy Kruger.
(but being the big bad still stands though)
Flip side he is working with Kasmina and her group and maybe the Fomoris are the threat they wanted to prepare (which would tie in Kasmina group back in if thats why we are going to Strixhaven). That said I could also see Ashiok working with them and being a big bad / big antagonist either way away.
and how do you trap a planeswalker in that when they can just planeswalk?
The vault likely can keep planeswalkers out (and maybe in), otherwise Ashiok and/or Oko would have just planeswalked in and then out.
tough call for kellans colors here base on chapters 2 and 3 it could be a roll of the dice with or based on how its going so far (but I'm gonna easily suspect on the next war of the spark set (which is after strixhaven 2) kellan is gonna be WUBRG)
My hopefully guess is Kellan will be UR and then maybe get a 5th card from the Epilogue cards with him as RGWU*

That said I could see Kellan learning that the answers about who he is and his fae origins could be B since B is the color of self love/esteem. You are right these stories really are showing more his W side .so maybe they will just end up with 3/4 Kellans being white and the MKM being the outlier.

*Either true RGWU or split between him and his adventure cards

CommanderMaster999

OUTLAWS OF THUNDER JUNCTION | A LONG WAY FROM HOME by Akemi Dawn Bowman
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/magic ... -from-home

Before we read

Look who it is. This legend was the 3rd most built commander from the set "Commander masters" and if you look on EDHREC this is the 6th most built Grixis Legend

Obeka, Brute Chronologist so we're getting a 2.0 version in the set I hope this one also involves a ability that has the words "end the turn"

5colorsrainbow

I really enjoyed this story, I like how we can see the mini-conflict of Neon Kamigawi as Nashi learned that he can best express his story magic through modern tech vs Tamiyos traditional methods and how he takes her knowelge and refines it to work better for him.

Also good to show that even if Tamiyo has an AL second life, its not the same as her being alive and Nashi has to learn to mourn and move on even if he has her living memory.

5colorsrainbow

OUTLAWS OF THUNDER JUNCTION | EPISODE 4: FINDING TARNATION by Akemi Dawn Bowman
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/magic ... -tarnation

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Lore”