void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 months ago

Today's Challenge: 0-cost creatures

.::To Enter::.
In a single post:
  • Name exactly two other players to vote for their entries for the previous challenge. (In the event that there are two or fewer entries that you are allowed to vote for, you may vote for only one.)
  • Make a card that fits the current challenge.
  • Include an "If I Win" (IIW) for tomorrow's challenge if you win.
Each day we use the challenge of the previous day's winner. In the case of a tie, we'll use the IIW of the tied player who has least overall points. In case of a further tie, the IIW of the earlier poster will be used.

.::Scoring::.
shullz 33 (+1)
Ink-Treader 26 (+4)
netn10 22 (+3)
Komandon 21 (+0)
OneAndOnly 21 (+5)
void_nothing 21 (+3)
Rithaniel 20 (+1)
Caspernicus 19 (+4)
AnotherAlias 16
somedue1019 13
KB52665 10
YoTed 7 (+1)
LandellXil0cent 4
TessaMTG 2
.::Note of the Day::.

One of YoTed's votes yesterday was for a contestant who didn't enter - no penalty for this because it's clearly an honest mistake, but please correct that vote in this thread if you can.

.::Yesterday's Submissions::.

a card with an ability like Ante but in game playable
OneAndOnly wrote:
3 months ago
Votes: Ink-Treader, void_nothing. HM to Lady MacB having madness - that's an inspired touch!
Etherspace Bolt -- (2/R)(2/R)
Transfinite Instant {R}
(You may choose one transfinite card from your library to begin the game in the command zone. As long as this card is in your command zone, each other player may cast a copy of this card.)
Etherspace Bolt deals three damage to target battle, creature, or planeswalker.
Next 0-cost Auras
shullz wrote:
3 months ago
Votes: OneAndOnly, Rithaniel

Not 100% sure if this is what was meant with the prompt.

Mirror of Possibilities
Artifact (M)
If Mirror of Possibilities is in your opening hand, you may begin the game with it on the battlefield. If you do, each player exiles a random card from their library face-up. For as long as Mirror of Possibilities is on the battlefield, those cards can be played as if they were in their owner's hand.
Artifactcycling (, Discard this card: Search your library for an artifact card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle.)

IIW: A nonland card without mana cost (Not mana cost )
TessaMTG wrote:
3 months ago
Votes: YoTed, Caspernicus (this card is honest to Nylea better than the Megamind 2 trailer.)

IIW: Blood token with no relation to Vampires.
LandellXil0cent wrote:
3 months ago
Votes: OneAndOnly, Caspernicus (i loved both of these designs.)

Betting Pool
Enchantment
Counci'ls Dilemna - Starting with you each player votes to raise or call. When a player votes to raise, they exile the top card of their library face down, then repeat this process, but each player that voted call must vote raise or lose the game. Repeat this process until all players have consecutively voted call.
(Every player must consecutively vote raise to remain in game. A card is exiled every time a player votes raise. To end the process, all players must consecutively vote call.)
When Betting Pool enters the battlefield, players gain 1 luck counter for each card exiled with it. Whenever a creature deals combat damage to a player, that player loses a luck counter. The last player to have any luck counters on it becomes the winner.
: Put a card exiled with Betting Pool into your hand. Add . Only the winner may activate this ability.

That was a huge chunk of text, so I hope that makes sense. It's like poker in essence.

IIW: A really simple design that would fit into Alpha magic.
void_nothing wrote:
3 months ago
Votes: OneAndOnly, netn10
YoTed wrote:
3 months ago
Vote: TessaMtG, LandellXil0cent

IIW: An Aura or Equipment with a win/lose or can't win/lose condition.
Caspernicus wrote:
3 months ago
Votes: Ink-Treader, shullz
HMs: Rithaniel (your card made me laugh, even though it's practically unmakeable in its current wording), void_nothing (I just don't think it's an uncommon)

Ante-Thesis
Enchantment (R)
When Ante-Thesis enters the battlefield, each player exiles the top card card of their library.
Suspend 4—{1}{U} (Rather than cast this card from your hand, you may pay {1}{U} and exile it with five time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter. When the last is removed, you may cast it without paying its mana cost.)
Whenever a time counter is removed from Ante-thesis while it's in exile, scry 2.

IIW: Non-Eldrazi and nonartifact colorless creature
AnotherAlias wrote:
3 months ago
Votes: void_nothing, Caspernicus

Criminal's Contract
Sorcery
When Criminal's Contract enters the battlefield, each player exiles cards from the top of their library until they exile a nonland card. Then put land cards exiled this way into their owners' graveyards. At the beginning of the next end step, for each five cards in target opponent's graveyard, choose a card exiled by Criminal's Contract. Cast spells chosen this way without paying their mana costs. Then target opponent casts each spell exiled by Criminal's Contract not chosen this way without paying their mana costs.

IIW: Extinct Animals
netn10 wrote:
3 months ago
Votes: OneAndOnly, Ink-Treader

Hedge on Red R
Enchantment (Rare)
Bet (At the start of the game, choose a card from your sideboard and exile it.)
At the beginning of your upkeep, draw a card, then discard a card at random. Then, if you discard a card with mana value equal to a card you betted, you may put it into your hand. Otherwise, target opponent may cast it without paying its mana value.

IIW: Bet
Rithaniel wrote:
3 months ago
Votes: netn10 (like the idea, but also, it's way too easy to enable), Ink-Treader (I don't know the reference, though)
Caspernicus wrote:
3 months ago
your card made me laugh, even though it's practically unmakeable in its current wording
Finding effective wordings for novel effects can be tricky. My goal was to make it so that the reader knew what it was meant to do, and we know it succeeds there.

Novel effects are fun, though. I always appreciate netn10's designs for the fact that they try new things.

Auction of Fate
Sorcery R
Each player exiles the top card of their library. As long as those cards are exiled, during each player's turn, that player may cast those cards and may spend mana as though it were mana of any color to cast them.

IIW: A card with two of the following: Kicker, Entwine, Cleave
Ink-Treader wrote:
3 months ago
Vote: OneAndOnly, void_nothing

Magnanimity 3WWW
Creature - Incarnation (R)
Lifelink
When Magnanimity enters the battlefield and at the beginning of your upkeep, exile the top card of your library. For as long as that card is in exile, creatures you control get +1/+1, and your opponent's may play that card, and may spend mana as if it were any color to do so. Whenever they do, draw a card.
6/6
Komandon wrote:
3 months ago
Votes: Caspernicus , netn10

Bet Your Life 5BB
Instant (mythic)
Make a Wager cost X less where X is 2 minus the number of players.
Each player shuffles their library and exiles card face down with an ante counter.
For the rest of the game at the beginning of each players upkeep, if that player life total when down by 10 or more since their last turn. Each other play may choose to cast a copy of the exiled card without paying its casting cost. The ante counter is removed and card revealed. The owner of that card loses life equal to its mana value. If the revealed card was a land, each other player than the owner loses 5 life.

IIW: a new card type.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

AnotherAlias
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by AnotherAlias » 3 months ago

Votes: netn10, TessaMTG

Zealots of Prossh
(Red) Creature — Kobold Warrior (U)
When Zealots of Prossh enters the battlefield, you may reveal a Kobold card not named Rosnakht, Heir of Rohgahh or a card named Prossh, Skyraider of Kher from your hand. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on Zealots of Prossh and you lose 1 life.
0/1

IIW: Design a monocolored creature card of one of the following colors that has or can gain the corresponding ability: White - Deathtouch, Blue - First strike or double strike, Black - Vigilance, Red - Lifelink, or Green - Prowess

shullz

Post by shullz » 3 months ago

Votes: OneAndOnly, AnotherAlias (Had to read it a few times. Could be a nice bargaining chip in Commander.)

Lifehack: To be thematic, play it with a playset of Savannah Lions and Savannah
Bonus: My first idea
Show
Hide
IIW: A card with at least two of the following: Kicker, Entwine, Cleave, Overload
Or if that challenge has already been done: Undercover Planeswalkers
Last edited by shullz 3 months ago, edited 5 times in total.

TessaMTG
Arbiter of +1/+1 Counters
Pronoun: she / her

Post by TessaMTG » 3 months ago

Votes: netn10, Komandon

IIW: Scavenger (a homebrew italic keyword of mine, dealing with the number of artifact cards in my graveyard. Used a lot in my Custom Horizons 1 set, link in my signature.)
I love Tchotchke Elemental. And as always: wear your seatbelt, tear up your friend's mill deck, and buh-bye. (Please don't actually tear up your friend's mill deck, no matter how annoying it is.)

Check out the LGBTAPQ+ People Place!
My Custom Planeswalkers
Custom Horizons 1
Good Kid (really good indie rock band also they play MTG)

LandellXil0cent

Post by LandellXil0cent » 3 months ago

Votes: Rithaniel, Caspernicus

Jackal Corpse
Creature - Zombie Dog
When Jackal Corpse is dealt damage, it deals that much damage to you.
If Jackal Corpse would be destroyed, instead exile it and the top three cards of your library. You lose 1 life for each land exiled this way.
3/2

IIW: Brushwagg

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 months ago

Votes: Rithaniel, Ink-Treader
Witherleaf Treefolk -- 0
Creature - Treefolk
(Witherleaf Treefolk is green and black.)
-5/5
Next: 0-mana Auras
Last edited by OneAndOnly 3 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

Caspernicus

Post by Caspernicus » 3 months ago

Votes: shullz, AnotherAlias

Peace Whisperers 0
Enchantment Creature — Spirit (U)
Flying, lifelink
And there it was I heard them—those spiritual sirens of lore, whose satin voices whispered softly of the tranquility that comes with the morn and the eventide—and lo! I dropped my sword, as did my men with me, and wept aloud at the beauty that is life.
—Entry from the journal of an unknown general

0/1

IIW: Double-faced card with a land on at least one side
Commanders: Zaffai, Thunder Conductor, Denethor, Ruling Steward
Pet Cards: Etali, Primal Storm, Creative Technique
When doubt does stride with iron-laden foot
and chooses take my pride in my own self,
in ragged chains drag I to hell from wealth
and broken, wear’ly slog through ashen soot.
Doubt’s trumpet sounds, that full religious toot
which howls in pompous, mocking, vibrant health
as I run far away, in fear 'f myself,
and chase away the day I end kaput.
But even in the hand of vill’nous doubt,
I know I’ll rise above in victory.
And even when I’m hit with doubter’s clout,
I have no doubt I’ll see that sun-kissed sea.
For even when some faith in me I lack,
I know — in time — I can my doubt attack.

YoTed

Post by YoTed » 3 months ago

Vote: TessaMtG, OneAndOnly

IIW: Saga, World, or Leyline from Ravnica,, Alara, or Tarkir.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 3 months ago

Vote: shullz, Rithaniel

Survival Essentia 0
{B/G} Creature - Incarnation (U)
Survival Essentia gets +0/+2 and has reach as long as you control another green creature.
Survival Essentia gets +1/+0 and has deathtouch as long as you control another black creature.
0/1

IIW: Transformations, of any kind

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 3 months ago

Votes: netn10 (Though I wonder if it's a Cursed Scroll in the right deck), Ink-Treader

Temporal Spasm
(color indicator: blue/red)
Creature - Elemental R
When Temporal Spasm enters the battlefield, flip three coins.
When you lose a coin flip, put Temporal Spasm on top of its owner's library.
3/3

IIW: A card with two of the following: Kicker, Entwine, Cleave
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

netn10

Post by netn10 » 3 months ago

Votes: OneAndOnly, Rithaniel
Rithaniel
Show
Hide
@Rithaniel: Thanks :) if you're talking about my The Joker design, I agree, it's probably way too easy to enable but I do wonder how much this kind of win con should cost. I should've just made him deal damage instead of outright winning the game though.

Painter's Effigy 0
Artifact Creature - Scarecrow (Rare)
Painter's Effigy gets +1/+1 for each different color among permanents you control.
1, Reveal Painter's Effigy from your hand: Put a color counter of you choice on target nonland permanent you control. (It's that color in addition to its other colors.)
-3/-3

IIW: -3/-3

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 3 months ago

Votes: netn10, Ink-Treader

Voidslime Weird 0
Creature - Ooze Weird (R)
2G, T, Sacrifice Voidslime Weird: Search your library for a card with mana value 0, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle.
3U, T, Sacrifice Voidslime Weird: Target creature has base power 0.
1R, T, Sacrifice Voidslime Weird: Creatures with base power, base toughness, and/or mana value 0 you control get +2/+0 until end of turn.
0/1

IIW: Sphinxes
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”