[M21] Kaervek, the Spiteful - The Magic Arcanum preview

Outcryqq
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Outcryqq » 4 years ago

Source: The Magic Arcanum

Kaervek, the Spiteful 2BB
Legendary Creature- Human Warlock
Other creatures get -1/-1.
"Defy me and I will burn the flesh from your bones. Betray me and I will steal the breath from your lungs.
3/2
Kaervek, the Spiteful.jpg
Kaervek, the Spiteful from imgur

Sweet art. The card itself seems a bit of a letdown, unless I'm really missing something.

Edit: image not working, added attachment

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 4 years ago

While it does seem a bit of a letdown from what I was expecting from a Kaervek card, I do remember Night of Souls' Betrayal being a pretty back breaking card against aggro decks back in the day. Four mana is a good rate for this effect. And him being a creature, not an enchantment is both a plus and a minus (easier to remove, but their are a lot more cool things you can do with Kaervek since he is a creature).

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

Kaervek kills weenie strategies dead.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

So, we get all the three main players of the Mirage war on new cards.

To be honest, the one I am the most excited about is Jolrael. I love my nigh immortal jungle princess.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Arkmer
Opinionated and Wrong

Post by Arkmer » 4 years ago

That 2 toughness is sooo deliberate... Black is all -2/-2 sweepers in all the recent sets. You can get the one time upgrade to -3/-3 now. You can still cheat the legend rule and get that -2/-2 by casting a second one though, I like that, was a fun trick with Betrayal.

I'm sorta disappointed that there's nothing additional on him. Every other creature seems like it has so much stapled to it but the second we get a card that looks a little more controlling that wants to slow the game a bit they suddenly decide that he has so much text on him already! I thought that being a creature was a disadvantage based on their recent R&D trends.

The N82O Molecule
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The N82O Molecule » 4 years ago

im a little grindy about this kaervek because I really like the time spiral Kaervek the Merciless and I like it if they stay on direction which in this case would be damage on spells. I mean the lower costed writes itself, RB Kaervek, each spell does damage equal to its controller equal to the cmc

however I think think this is a well designed card. appropriate on many levels. though the stategy of this card is hard to find. . .its just so the wrong character. sometimes I fear they design a great card then name it all the wrong name for sake of continuity

im also really digging this warlock class type im not saying Kaervek is a warlock per say but if it fits

anyway I think I like this card cause its strategy is hard to find (like ins standard for example) and "against token strategies" seems unfun

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 3 years ago

I really like this card. Kaervek just seems hateful and omnicidal. So the ability fits.

I just wish he were monored! He could deal 1 damage to everything at the beginning of every upkeep instead.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”