Referring to the same ability again and again

OneAndOnly
Pronoun: he / him

Post by OneAndOnly » 2 months ago

Prinax, Bilbiomancer -- 1UU
Legendary Creature - Human Scholar {R}
When Prinax enters the battlefield, exile the top three cards of your library.
At the beginning of your upkeep, choose a card exiled this way and put it into your hand.
1UU: Exile Prinax, then return him to the battlefield under your control. Activate this ability only if there are no cards exiled by an ability of Prinax.
2/3

What's the best way to word the third ability? It seems natural for the second ability to reference "cards exiled this way" (i.e., by his first ability), but by the time the third ability rolls around, it no longer feels seamless. But "exiled by an ability of Prinax" feels needlessly standoffish about it all.

Thoughts?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 2 months ago

"only if Prinax has no cards exiled with it."
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 2 months ago

Thanks for the suggestion -- is there a card you could cite as precedent for that?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 2 months ago

Not exactly, because it's novel templating, but the list of cards that say "exiled with" is vast and this is the conventional way to refer to cards exiled with a linked ability.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Card Rulings”