Tymna + Sidar Kondo, Cult Leaders

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

A while ago, I made a thread for Morophon Apostles, but I never got around to building it; too many options in 5 colour, even though Morophon doesn't really demand you play 5-colour.

I did end up building Abzan Apostles; initially with Tymna the Weaver and Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper, but I subbed out Ikra for Sidar Kondo of Jamuraa so I could connect with Tymna and Apostles for draw (though, Ikra's lifegain was quite substantial, and definitely helped me not lose a game or two).

Since the deck has 44 creatures (of which 30 are frequently do-nothings for much of the game), the deck has a few considerations: Non-Apostle cards must be as multi-functional/flexible/powerful as possible. For example, Oracle of Mul Daya provides both ramp and card advantage, as does Nissa, Vastwood Seer / Nissa, Sage Animist. This was also the impetus to play Tymna as a commander; low-curve draw could be scarce, and Tymna serves as a way to leverage the otherwise-weak Apostles for more cards (even if a few of them die because of blocks; the real action comes from the mass resurrection effects, anyway).

The lands themselves have increased functionality as well, including the odd choice of Myriad Landscape despite the deck's comparatively few basics over three types. Pendelhaven provides an advantage sometimes as many of our creatures are 1/1s, but it can also be used to occasionally stymie someone with skull clamp. Path of Ancestry provides a very consistent Scry 1 each turn while fixing mana, since most of the creatures in the deck are Clerics (Xathrid Necromancer has the good grace to be a human and will also net a Scry as well).

Since the deck is so creature heavy, Vizier of the Menagerie provides a consistent card advantage (and mana fixing!), and God-Eternal Oketra can provide an alternate wincon (alternative to big demons with mean effects; which I realize may be insufficient).

Some of the cards clearly underperform; Liliana's Contract has not been stellar, and Abzan Charm's modes aren't really strong enough to warrant its inclusion. Other cards haven't felt like they were powerful enough to carry the Apostle's combined dead(ish) weight; Harmonize, Xathrid Necromancer (despite presenting as a zombie factory), and a few of the demons haven't felt especially strong, (though Vilis, Broker of Blood would likely be unwelcome in my group). Mortify|PRNA is probably also not-good-enough, but I have a foil promo and it's pretty.

There are other possible modes for the future of the deck. I may ditch Tymna the Weaver for Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper, and maindeck life-for-cards effects like Greed, Sylvan Library, Arguel's Blood Fast and Erebos, God of the Dead.
Changelog
Show
Hide
2020/05/30
-Abzan Charm
-Terramorphic Expanse
-Evolving Wilds
-Razaketh, the Foulblooded
-Xathrid Necromancer
+Overseer of the Damned
+Vilis, Broker of Blood
+Murmuring Bosk
+Godless Shrine
+Etchings of the Chosen

Razaketh would often show up with no bodies to sacrifice, and it just felt redundant with Rune-Scarred Demon. It's not that Razaketh is bad, it's just not great. Abzan charm felt like it was underperforming with two mediocre modes, and Terramorphic/Evolving are... well, they're bad. Xathrid Necromancer is good on paper, but it's not actually that exciting; I would rather draw a card than get a 2/2 zombie, or... something.

My group is okay with Vilis after all. I've also felt, after many games, having a removal option for Apostles is necessary, so I've included Overseer of the Damned, even though the deck is quite removal light. The lands are upgrades for the fetch/Krosan Verge available for the deck. Finally, Etchings of the Chosen is intended to give a more cult-y vibe to the deck, and a way to squeeze different utility out of Apostles.

2020-10-05
-Plains
+Mistveil Plains

Some time ago, bobthefunny rightly pointed out to me that putting a sick demon from the graveyard back into my library is actually super exciting.

Tags:

Return to “Decklists”