World at War Post Combat Question

The Desacrator
Pronoun: he / him

Post by The Desacrator » 3 months ago

World at War

If I cast World at War after combat do I get the extra combat step from it?

Accepted Answer

by void_nothing » 2 months ago
I think that's a misinterpretation, and the key is in the first sentence: "As long as World at War resolves before the first postcombat main phase of a turn ends, it will have its full effect." In other words, if it's cast any time before "after the first combat main phase" it will actually have an effect when it resolves, meaning the precombat or postcombat main phase of a normal turn. What the ruling is saying is that if it's cast in the postcombat main phase after an extra combat phase, it will have no effect, because the end of the first postcombat main phase has already passed.
Go to full post

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 3 months ago

Oracle ruling:
Rulings wrote:As long as World at War resolves before the first postcombat main phase of a turn ends, it will have its full effect. That will happen in most cases, since it's a sorcery (meaning it's probably cast during the first or second main phase of a turn), and it has rebound (meaning it'll be cast during your upkeep). If, however, it's cast later than that, it won't create any new phases. For example, if one World at War creates a second combat phase and a third main phase in a turn, then a second World at War is cast during that third main phase, no additional phases are created. The rebound effect still works, though.
So no, you will not get an additional combat if you cast it after your first main phase.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 2 months ago

I think that's a misinterpretation, and the key is in the first sentence: "As long as World at War resolves before the first postcombat main phase of a turn ends, it will have its full effect." In other words, if it's cast any time before "after the first combat main phase" it will actually have an effect when it resolves, meaning the precombat or postcombat main phase of a normal turn. What the ruling is saying is that if it's cast in the postcombat main phase after an extra combat phase, it will have no effect, because the end of the first postcombat main phase has already passed.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

The Desacrator

Post by The Desacrator » 2 months ago

Okay. Thanks guys.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”