New Challenge Every Day - January 24th: Art Appreciation Day!

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 months ago

Today's Challenge: Art Appreciation Day! Make a Magic card out of your favorite classical painting.

.::To Enter::.
In a single post:
  • Name exactly two other players to vote for their entries for the previous challenge. (In the event that there are two or fewer entries that you are allowed to vote for, you may vote for only one.)
  • Make a card that fits the current challenge.
  • Include an "If I Win" (IIW) for tomorrow's challenge if you win.
Each day we use the challenge of the previous day's winner. In the case of a tie, we'll use the IIW of the tied player who has least overall points. In case of a further tie, the IIW of the earlier poster will be used.

.::Scoring::.
Rithaniel 50 (+3)
netn10 50 (+3)
void_nothing 43 (+0)
somedue1019 42 (+4)
Komandon 36 (+2)
JovialJovian 30
YoTed 28 (+1)
LandellXil0cent 18 (+1)
Luci 16 (+0)
TessaMTG 7
Raptorchan 5
AnotherAlias 3
KB52665 1
chetoos 1
.::Note of the Day::.

LandellXil0cent did not vote yesterday, so while their card can score points, their IIW can't win.

EDIT: The same is true for Komandon.

.::Yesterday's Submissions::.

A Command instant (like Cryptic Command, etc) from Ravnica, Alara, or Tarkir
somedue1019 wrote:
4 months ago
Vote: Rithaniel, Netn10

(We already got the Elder Dragon Command Cycle, so I'm assuming this is what you meant.)

IIW: Makes a token of an already printed common card.
YoTed wrote:
4 months ago
Vote: Somedude1019, Netn10

IIW: Punished for drawing extra cards, taking extra turns, playing spells without paying mana, or playing a card from anywhere other than a player's hand.
KB52665 wrote:
4 months ago
Votes: YoTed, Rithaniel

Firemind's Command 1u{u/r}r
Instant
Choose two:
• Add or . Spend this mana only to cast an instant or sorcery spell.
• Copy target spell you control that's exactly two colors. You may choose new targets for the copy.
• Draw a card, then discard a card.
• Each player draws a card. Then for each other player that did, Firemind's Command deals 2 damage to that player.

IIW: Activated abilities with "Exile ~ from your hand."
LandellXil0cent wrote:
4 months ago
Votes:

Jund Command
Sorcery (R)
Chose two:
  • Destroy two target creatures.
  • Sacrifice a creature and put two +1/+1 counters on target creature.
  • Draw two cards and discard two cards.
  • Create three 1/1 green Saproling creature tokens.
IIW: Detectives
void_nothing wrote:
4 months ago
Votes: netn10, Rithaniel

Amesha's Command 3GWU
Instant (R)
Choose two -
• Target opponent can't cast spells this turn.
• Double target player's life total.
• Return target creature card with mana value 5 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield with an exalted counter on it. (Multiple instances of exalted trigger separately.)
• Target player shuffles their graveyard into their library, then draws two cards. (This card isn't shuffled in.)

IIW: Equipment without equip or Vehicles without crew
Luci wrote:
4 months ago
Vote: somedue1019, Komandon

IIW: Phyrexian Cure
netn10 wrote:
4 months ago
Votes: LandellXil0cent, somedue1019

Rithaniel, I was kinda hoping for a mono red Mirran flavored "poison makes me stronger" as a pseudo poison prevention. I still believe there's a potential there.

Duskmantle Command 2
Instant (Rare)
Choose two —
* Target player mill ten cards.
* Put a creature card from a graveyard onto the battlefield tapped with three stun counters on it.
* Creatures you don't control gets -6/-0 until end of turn.
* Move all counters from any number of target permanents you don't control onto target permanent you control.

IIW: Hybrid for a usually mono-color or gold cycle
Rithaniel wrote:
4 months ago
Votes: somedude1019, Komandon

Optimistic Command
Sorcery R
Choose two—
  • Return up to five target cards from your graveyard to your hand.
  • Draw a card for each creature you control.
  • Put any number of artifacts or enchantment cards from your hand onto the battlefield.
  • You have no maximum hand size for the rest of the game.
IIW: Artifact Land - Desert OR Enchantment Land - Desert
Komandon wrote:
4 months ago
Simic Command 2UG
Instant (rare)
Choose two —
  • Draw a card. You may play an additional land this turn.
  • Counter target activated or triggered ability.
  • Move any number of +1/+1 counters from one creature to another creature with the same controller.
  • Untap all creatures you control with +1/+1 counters on them.
IIW: a new dual land that would be part of a cycle for the mechanic such as the surveil ones coming from MKM.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

somedue1019

Post by somedue1019 » 4 months ago

Votes: Luci, Rithaniel

IIW: Battles that aren't Sieges

YoTed
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by YoTed » 4 months ago

Vote: void_nothing, LandellXil0cent

IIW: A card based on your favorite board game.

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 4 months ago

Votes: void_nothing, Komandon

Ah, I missed the word "Instant" in yesterday's challenge. Made a sorcery instead.

I don't know if it qualifies as classical, but I'm picking Reply of Zaporozhian Cossacks as my favorite.

Boisterous Insults
Sorcery R
Creatures you control gain haste and can't be blocked by white or blue creatures this turn. Damage can't be prevented this turn.
"Divine authority?! Bah! You just like wearing funny hats and bossing people around!"
—Talra Mon, the Renegade General

IIW: Two costs. One is XYY and the other is XXY.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

netn10

Post by netn10 » 4 months ago

Votes: KB52665, Komandon

Making cards is way harder than it seems lol.

Starry Night 2B
Enchantment (Rare)
Constellation — Whenever Starry Night or another enchantment enters the battlefield under your control, destroy target enchantment you don't control. It becomes night.
"On the Eleventh Hour, the Sky-Gods shall unveil a canvas like never seen before, each twinkle marking the demise of a dream or a nightmare, as night unfolds its inky cloak."
- Cult of the Falling Comet's Last Promise

IIW: A set inspired by Watchman

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 4 months ago

Voters: LandellXil0cent , Luci

😳. I didn't vote yesterday. I thought I voted for somedue1019 and Luci

I'm sorry. I'm on a phone and have multiple pages open. I guess submitted the one that didn't have the votes. At first was working on a Dimir one.

I'm not submitting today. Votes for me shouldn't count due to that mistake. If curious my favorite classic painting is Watson and the Shark. It's also the only I've seen in person the most. It's by John Singleton Copley. It has a great backstory. Not as movie worthy as Raft of the Medusa which is also a great painting. Dream of seeing the Nightwatch by Rembrandt one day. I minored in art in college.

@netn10 you picked a Van Gogh. Two suggestions. Watch the movie Loving Vincent. It's animated by 1000's of real oil paintings and if it ever comes to your area the Van Gogh experience. It's very trippy.

somedue1019

Post by somedue1019 » 4 months ago

@Komandon

I know I can't speak for the thread as a whole, but I think you should 110% make a submission today- Especially if you minored in art! Frankly, you'd only really be doing us a disservice by not showing us how you'd translate one of those pieces into Magic :grin:

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 4 months ago

Votes - netn10, Komandon

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 4 months ago

Ok. Thank you @somedue1019
I remember learning about Guernica by Pablo Picasso in school. I never saw it in person but if you ever are in DC the same gallery Watson and the Shark is at, the National Gallery, some of his earlier paintings. His Family of Saltimbanques from 1905 is huge.

Recap my votes are LandellXil0cent , Luci

Watson and the Shark 1UR
Enchantment — Saga (rare)
(As this Saga enters and after your draw step, add a lore counter. Sacrifice after III.)
I - Create a 2/3 blue Shark token creature with Hexproof.
II - Target creature you control fights up to one target creature you don't control. If your chosen creature is a Shark and isn't destroyed, you may draw a card and then discard a card.
III - Exile this saga, then return it transformed under your control.

///

Lord Brook Watson
Legendary Creature — Human Artificer
T, Sacrifice a nontoken artifact: Create a Treasure token and scry 1.
Treasures you control have "t: Sacrifice this artifact: Add CC to your mana pool. Use this mana only to cast artifact spells or pay for the activated abilities of artifacts."
1/3

Cut and paste from Wikipedia. (Not sure if outside nonMTG links are allow. Also though SFW it has I don't know if I can post the image. Watson is nude but doesn't show NSFW and isn't violent. )

" Watson and the Shark is an oil painting by the Anglo-American painter John Singleton Copley, depicting the rescue of the English boy Brook Watson from a shark attack in Havana, Cuba. Copley, then living in London, painted three versions, which are all now in the United States. The 1778 version is in the National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. A second, full-size 1778 replica is now in the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, and a third, smaller, 1782 version with a more vertical composition is in the Detroit Institute of Arts.
The original version, now in the National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., United States, 1778, 182.1 × 229.7 cm
The paintings are based on an attack that took place in Havana harbour in 1749. Brook Watson, then a 14-year-old cabin boy on the Royal Consort,[1] lost his right leg below the knee in the attack, and was not rescued until the third attempt, which is the subject of the painting.[2] Watson, having had a military career and become a successful merchant, commissioned the painting from Copley a quarter of century after the event. Watson went on to be chairman of Lloyd's of London, a Member of Parliament, and Lord Mayor of London."

IIW: I like your Battles that aren't Sieges idea
@somedue1019
Last edited by Komandon 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 4 months ago

Votes: Rithaniel, Komandon

Righteous Decapitation 1W
Instant (U)
Cast this spell only during an opponent's turn.
Righteous Decapitation deals 7 damage to target creature or planeswalker that's tapped, dealt damage to you this turn, or had loyalty counters removed from it this turn.
1R, Discard Righteous Decapitation or exile it from your graveyard: It deals 1 damage to any target.

Judith Slaying Holofernes (cw bloody violence)

IIW: Horsemanship
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”