Best, recent, simple but good commander…

kraus911
Pronoun: he / him

Post by kraus911 » 4 months ago

I used to be one to make convoluted decks, embracing complex legendary creatures. But Dr. Who might have jumped the shark in terms of complex=fun for me. Or maybe it was my attempt to build the Stranger Things partners. I'm called to decently powered but simple commanders of yore - Ruric Thar, the Unbowed and even Alela, Artful Provocateur.

But I figure there have to also be newer commanders that are simple but decent (depending on how you build them). I just haven't been paying enough attention recently to have filtered them out.

So what are your favorites in the past year or two (aka the last 20 sets).

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 4 months ago

kraus911 wrote:
4 months ago
So what are your favorites in the past year or two
A quick sift back until 2022 i would say Ghalta, Stampede Tyrant, Don Andres, the Renegade and Sheoldred, the Apocalypse are prime examples of simple, yet interesting(ly enough) card designs.

Overall less text and not being a double-sided card always helps. On top of that legends of the more recent years tend to have not only plenty of text, but also several keywords as well.
It's a common joke in our playgroup to see if someone can name all lines of text on Questing Beast, the Caverns Mythics, March of the Machines "Transformers", Omnath, Locus of Creation or Valki, God of Lies // Tibalt, Cosmic Impostor, much like textless Cryptic Command had been a running gag in the past.

NZB2323
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NZB2323 » 4 months ago

Éowyn, Shieldmaiden human tribal is simple, powerful, and can be built a number of different ways. I also like that she's #249 on EDHREC and not everyone is running her.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 4 months ago

Personally, I want to build Ezuri, Stalker of Spheres. Low cost, card advantage in the command zone. I would probably go superfriends with it, there are a ton of budget planeswalkers and you get both Flux Channeler and Evolution Sage in these colors. Superfriends is still an archetype I haven't built yet. Simic gives you budget access to ramp and card advantage, so I think it would make a phenomal sub 100$ deck.
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

kraus911

NZB2323 wrote:
4 months ago
Éowyn, Shieldmaiden human tribal is simple, powerful, and can be built a number of different ways. I also like that she's #249 on EDHREC and not everyone is running her.
She's good. I played against the precon and it was solid. Will have to consider.

Don Andres, the Renegade is cool. I like the idea of having to cast your opponents cards, but might be too hoop jumpy for what I'm after.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 4 months ago

Stuff that is currently in Standard that I find interesting and not terribly complicated: Not sure if all of these qualify as 'simple' (it's a somewhat subjective term), but I feel like these generally only need to be read once to understand what they do. I didn't browse the list of recent non-Standard commanders.

kraus911

Thanks for the response. This is interesting also for what catches the eyes of others as interesting and simple. Yes simple is subjective, for me that means what the commander does is intuitive and doesn't require a lot of hoops to jump through or a lot of bookkeeping. Isshin is a great example, oh yeah, he's that mardu attack triggers guy.

I'd forgotten about the new Narset and how she's the most interesting one. I might build her!

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 months ago

General Ferrous Rokiric has become one of my favorite commanders in recent years. He dodges a lot of the format's best removal while elevating cards such as Lightning Helix and Squee's Embrace since you get a 4/4 body with it every time.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Boros_Blendo

Post by Boros_Blendo » 3 months ago

I'm very much a stick with what you got kind of guy. I still have most of the decks I built at the start. Xenagos, God of Revels in an every-bit-as-Gruul-dirtbag as you'd expect and Prime Speaker Zegana as a Simic shenanigan deck that only recently added proliferate mechanics to the graft cards. The most recent one that isn't precon is right up that alley as Rhonas the Indomitable fight club. He struggles with go-wide, so I had to temper the fight club and spend some of the design space to deal with the many go-wide decks in my group. So, I like simple, straight-forward commanders.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”