[SCD] Karn, Scion of Urza

rogerandover
Pronoun: he / him

Post by rogerandover » 4 years ago

Have anyone here any experience playing with [Karn, Scion of Urza]?

I'm considering him for my mono-brown deck, which could always use more ways to draw cards. My main concern is that you will always end up with the worse card in hand and have to wait a turn to get the other card in hand. He's also a rather fragile draw-engine, but if you can protect him he seems okay, and if you just keep ticking him up, the silverbullets will amount and his -1 will only get better. The -2 could also be sort of a wincon in monobrown.

Outcryqq

Post by Outcryqq » 4 years ago

Karn, Scion of Urza

I've tried him. I absolutely love the art and picked up a foil copy when they were ridiculously expensive because of it. Although he might be better in mono brown than where I tried him (Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain) I think your analysis is spot on - not good as a card advantage engine, because you're getting the worse card and you have to protect him else you're also exiling your better card. If his -2 would be really powerful in your list he might get slightly better.

Cyberium
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

If protected, he's pretty good with cards, and could easily create a 5+/5+ token the moment it comes out in an artifact centric deck.

Note that even if Karn is destroyed and you manage to revive him, you could still "draw" those cards with silver counter on them.

BounceBurnBuff

Post by BounceBurnBuff » 4 years ago

A lot of the time he ends up feeling like a worse land tax that could even lose you something valuable. I swapped him out of my Raff Artifacts and Friends list despite how synergistic it appeared on paper.

UnNamed1

Post by UnNamed1 » 4 years ago

I currently have Karn in my Urza, Lord High Artificer build that is meant to be a combat focused deck. Typically in my experience he comes out, -2's and proceeds to die/get removed. Honestly, he is on my to remove list, 4 mana to commit to make a construct isn't that game changing to me. If I am committing that much mana, 9/10 times I would rather just cast Urza. I like Karn, the Great Creator better than scion as well. He is good in theory, but doesn't pull through in reality.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 4 years ago

Karn, Scion of Urza of Urza is good in decks that either don't have a lot of card advantage (due to being mono-white for example) or have a lot of artifacts, since the tokens can get big fast. Karn is usually not the best planeswalker in any situation, but I've never been disappointed with him in the decks I've put him in. He does what he needs to do, and does it well enough. He is also a lot of fun since you get to be diplomatic in choosing who will decide which card you get.

It probably doesn't hurt that I made super-cute construct tokens that I want to play...

UnNamed1

Post by UnNamed1 » 4 years ago

Depending on the speed of your build, I would put Mystic Forge in over Karn. This will potentially net more than one card vs, drawing a card that your opponents know about and exiling another card that your opponents know. The fact you can only return those cards through Karn makes it kind of a dangerous plan, especially with the hate that walkers draw naturally. Bag of Holding can also be good...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”