Who still has a spark

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 4 months ago

As a consequence of the Phyrexia War, hinted to be from Realmbreaker and/or the Sylex ripping open holes into the Blind Eternities, an event has caused many planeswalkers to lose their sparks. Wotc has said they won't give a list of who still has a spark and who doesn't instead left to be discovered as we go from set to set. Confirmed are the following walkers, who have had a planeswalker card who still are sparked, desparked, dead and unknown;
Still have a spark
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Ajani
Ashiok
Chandra
Jace
Kaya
Oko
Quintorius
Ral

Depsparked
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Bolas*
Calix
Huatli
Karn*
Koth
Kiora
Nahiri*
Narset
Nixilis
Nissa
Rowan
Saheeli
Samut
Sarkhan
Teferi
Tyvar
Vraska
Wanderer
Will
*desparked due to other reasons

Unknowns;
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Aminatou
Angrath
Arlinn
Basri
Dakkon*
Daretti
Davriel
Dihada
Elspeth
Estrid
Garruk
Grist
Jared
Kaito
Kasmina
Liliana
Niko
Sivitri*
Sorin
Teyo
Tezzeret
Ugin
Wrenn*
Vivien
Yanggu
Yanling

*not sure if they are alive or not
Last edited by 5colorsrainbow 1 month ago, edited 4 times in total.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

5colorsrainbow

These my own personal guessing based on how much storyline they have, how much each walkers was used as a special legend for their world, how likely we would see that walkers homeplane in a set (so how likely we would see the character again as a legend) and how much design space their gimmicks have to draw from.

Who I think will remain sparked (spoilers for length);
Show
Hide
Jace, Liliana and Garruk- I think all three will remain sparked due to the lorwyn 5 theory we maybe have with Chandra and Ajani so far and all three are pretty popular characters. Jace particularly still has wtf happened with him during MoM which I hope we see with Vraska. Liliana is also involved with Kasmina/Strixhaven, things with Dominaria and the Ravenman and the Onakke raising back as well as the conflic with Garruk to resolve. Garruk being from an unknown plane also likely means if he was stuck somewhere it would be harder to bring him back.

Vraska- Linked to whats going on with Jace, as well as the fact her fate is left unclear.

Tezzeret- Last we saw of him he was on some name-less plane to hide out the Invasion, and after all the set up of his new dark steel body and building him up as a villian I think hes gonna remain a planeswalker.

Sorin- Him and Nahiri still have a storyline somewhat left and with Nahiri turning into an anti-walker it makes sense for Sorin to remain so to be foil for her and he has some open ended stories as an oldwalker they could explore as well.

Elspeth- I feel like she's tied to a few planes (Capenna, Alara (if we ever go back) and Theros) and while it seems like she is becoming a god on Theroes would be odd to tie her there right after her finding her home plane and likely wanting to use her there as well.

Kaya- I feel like they put a lot of story focus on her just to limit her to one plane as well her having unfinished stories on Ravnica and Tolvada. They while they seem to be putting some more focus on Tolvada as they did give her a last name and a battle card showing Tolvada being invaded. (RIght!)

Wanderer- If there is to be story there is conflict and most of the conflict of the Wanderer would be fixed with her desparked on Kamigawa so I think she will remain sparked and unstable. WRONG

Kasmina- Similar to the ones above with on going story in that we got told of a cabal of planeswalkers looking for others to recruit and so far ...nothing come out of it so it be a shame if the only member we seen loses her spark.

Oko- We do need new villains and with Tibalt most likely dead or trapped on phased out new phyrexia Oko kinda fits that low stakes villains and being from an unknown planes means we wouldnt likely see him unless he was trapped somewhere.

Davriel- He has the ongoing storyline with his entity and the entity hunters after him. The entity may or may not be how he got a planeswalker spark, which might mean his was kept safe after the Great Desparkening

Niko- We barley have any non-binary human characters and it would kinda suck if the only planewalker and only one with any sort of story or lore being made less special. For storylines it makes sense that Niko (and Elsepth) being planeswalkers will be hunted still by Calix and being walkers give them and edge to escape if needed, while Calix can use the omenpaths to hunt them down.

Quint- Again more of a hope but it would be sucky if Quint sparked and desparked and he didn't even get a walker card. Plus with the desparking leaving more room for new characters it feels like Quint is being set up as that. (Right!)
Those I think are desparked;
Show
Hide
Arlinn- I think she limited and weird design space of only being a DFC on Innistrad or only seeing her in one form on other planes so I think she's likely desparked and being on Innistrad likely be seen again and able to be a legendary dfc.

Estrid- I feel like wotc has kinda just abounded her and seemly have no plans to use her as a walker so I think shes just gonna end up a legend on some plane.

Ugin- So I'm not saying Bolas is gonna be back soon, but I think the omenpath thing nicely sets up a way for him to escape if/when they want to use him and makes sense Ugin is deparked and unable just to planeswalk in and stop Bolas.

Vivien- Her storyline has been all over the place, she fights with Garruk for card space and she seems happy enough on Ikoria that I could see her just becoming a legend there. Plus with Lukka gone she kinda can take the place of the local walker /desaprked walker.

Daretti- Again not much storyline going on with him as a walker and Firoa is popular enough I could see conspiracy 3 or something featuring him as a legend.

Ral- Little to no storylines as a walker and as the Izzet guidmaster and happily married Ral likely wouldn't be seen outside of Ravnica much at this point.

Kaito- His search for the wanderer can continue with him as a legend using the omenpaths and not sure how much design space he has being the "ninja planeswalker". UPDATE: as the Wanderer is confirmed desparked I can see Kaito also just becoming a legendary creature ninja on Kamigawa and its popularity means we will likely see it again

Jared- Just being re-introduced he dosen't have much story going on outside of Dominaria/ Corondor and not sure how many WUBRG they can make.

Yanggu and Yanling- Once again little to no storylines as planeswalkers and both would be featured if we ever got to see Shenmeng. Only thing that might be Yanling storyline about her teacher but that could easy just be tied to Shenmeng.

Those I feel unsure about or I see both reasons for either choice;
Show
Hide
Aminatou- She has little to no storylines going on and is hard to use since she is so powerful. But after seeing her in the comic I think they found a decent way to limit her and she seems popular enough I don't see wizards just leaving her behind like Estrid.

Angrath- After everything thats gone on, I think if Angrath was desparked he was on his home plane (which is very likely as he would want to protect his daughters) which I think vorthos wouldnt mind but it also means we wouldnt see him unless we got set on his homeplane, which could happen, but also might not. So the only way to see him again would maybe be as a planeswalker.

Dakkon-Seemly Dihada believes him alive but uncertain for sure. If he is alive I could see him desparked on Dominaria to have a conflict with Dihada and the Corondor storyline.

Dihada- Shes has the storyline with Corondor so I could see her being deparked and left on Dominaria to resolve that but like Oko magic needs villians and would be cool to see one from the oldlore get another chance as a major antagonist.

Huatli-Saheeli- Kinda suck if they got broken up by being desparked as they been one of the best couples in modern magic and the ones being happy as Chandra x Nissa has issues and Vraska x Jace just ended sadly. Would be nice if one or more had spark so they could see each other but also both very much fit the mold of just being "special" legendary for their homes. UPDATE; Desparked but also together on Ixalan <3

Teyo- He dosen't have much storyline going on but not sure if he was desparked they put him as he doesn't fit in Ravnica and not sure if they ever make a Gobakhan set. Also would just suck if his only storylines as a walker was Wots...

Sivitri and Wrenn - Not sure if Sivitri is alive and not sure if Wrenn will grow back into a full dryad or stay just a dress or if a new dryad is Wrenn or a "daughter: ect so no idea how to guess them.

Basri and Grist - Not sure but the fact these two character had no storylines really at all yet would suck if when we did see them they just legends. Grist also being from unknown home planes makes it harder to see her/them if they become a legend.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

5colorsrainbow

I also figured I'd put in some info that have been said by Maro and Roy Graham (the new story leader) as the Doylist reasonings for the mass desparking from design (a bit of development) and creative ;

-As cards planeswalkers are shallow in design, often limited to sorcery based activated abilities and need to have ~ three of these abilities that all fit in the card box. Also add in that many planeswalkers are meant to have "gimmicks" and in general feel in flavor to the character as well as trying to balance them for what format they made for has lead the space of good planeswalker cards tricky.

-Development would also want planeswalkers in standard to keep a rough color balance (which often could be use to predict the color(s) of walkers in upcoming sets). This would mean deign and creative sometimes where locked into having to have walkers in certain colors/color pairs for sets. For design this lead to some stuff such as why we didn't get a BR in a standard for years in-between Sarkhan the Mad and Angrath and creative this why often characters where pushed into new colors or had very random feeling characters pop up in certain sets.

-Planeswalker cards slots are limited meaning they can only feature a certain amount of characters in the cards vs legendary creatures which sets have a lot more open slots for.

-Many planeswalkers characters where made as "extra special" faces of their planes with not very much reason for leaving and/or story and character arcs pretty much where closed and desparking them is a way to let them "retire" without killing off the character in the story and letting them still have stories and being faces for the planes when we visit. To this end creative wants to have the remains planeswalkers have more motivations for going to different planes.

-All levels wanted planeswalkers to start feeling more special and this has been done via limiting the number of them we see in sets and who are left in the lore.

EDIT:

- Even after the mending planeswalkers ability to planes walk caused some tricky-ness with writing as it meant each conflict had to address why the planeswalkers in the storyline where sticking around.
Last edited by 5colorsrainbow 4 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 4 months ago

I have a lot I could say about the Great Pruning (which is apparently not a canon name anymore but bring that back), but I 100% empathize and agree with the game design reasons for it.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

5colorsrainbow

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 3 months ago

Murders story heavily implies that Ral is still sparked so I'll just go with that.

5colorsrainbow

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 2 months ago

Updated for Oko being show to still have his spark, Vraska is looking less likely to still have hers as a result but waiting to see a card or word of god.

5colorsrainbow

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 1 month ago

Vraskas card in the set will be a creature card so I'm calling it, shes been desparked.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 1 month ago

That's all but confirmed now, yeah. It's still possible that we'll see other desparked planeswalkers who are... maybe not outright villains but at least pretty disreputable or chaotic, given just how many random characters are showing up in art.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

CommanderMaster999
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 1 month ago

I will keep this in spoiler tag because this might be a "Whoops" on WOTC part
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Well I found this
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/mtg-a ... ry-details

This the info for OTJ mastery for arena but they may have goofed and put a unrevealed card name for the set in the Sleeves Section
SPOILER
Show
Hide
We land on "Jace Reawakened"

To confirm this he was revealed in Episode 6 of OTJ story turned out he was Diguised as Ashiok in that story

And we go by the Fact Oko is the Planeswalker of the set, That means Jace lost his spark

5colorsrainbow

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
1 month ago
I will keep this in spoiler tag because this might be a "Whoops" on WOTC part
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Well I found this
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/mtg-a ... ry-details

This the info for OTJ mastery for arena but they may have goofed and put a unrevealed card name for the set in the Sleeves Section
SPOILER
Show
Hide
We land on "Jace Reawakened"

To confirm this he was revealed in Episode 6 of OTJ story turned out he was Diguised as Ashiok in that story

And we go by the Fact Oko is the Planeswalker of the set, That means Jace lost his spark
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Looking like he is deparked but the cut epilogue is a way for them to wiggle in another planeswalker if they wanted so I'm just gonna wait and see first

5colorsrainbow

An illusion dispelled, a planeswalker remains sparked

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Lore”