Historic Companion Cube

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 4 months ago

The Historic Companion Cube

Historic
An object is historic if it has the legendary supertype, the artifact card type, or the Saga subtype. See rule 700.6.
702.139a Companion is a keyword ability that functions outside the game. It's written as "Companion—[Condition]." Before the game begins, 
you may reveal one card you own from outside the game with a companion ability whose condition is fulfilled by your starting deck. (See rule 103.2b.) 
Once during the game, any time you have priority and the stack is empty, but only during a main phase of your turn, you may pay {3} and put that card into your hand. 
This is a special action that doesn't use the stack (see rule 116.2g). This is a change from previous rules.
What if... companion was a beloved mechanic? What if it were so successful that instead of having a rules change to nerf it, we instead altered the rules and gave it to every legendary creature? This cube explores that alternate timeline. It also has a heavy historic theme, with plenty of support for legend, artifacts, and sagas.

Special rules:
Last edited by Mookie 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 1 month ago

Changes! The main highlights are:
  • cutting some of the ur spellslinger cards in favor of more artifact support.
  • adding a few more enchantments in bg
  • mixing up the colorless options a bit, and trimming some of the draft-matters cards.
I'm planning to add a little more enchantment support in black. Not sure if I want to add Grim Guardian or other constellation cards, but it is something I'm considering. Beyond that, I need to take a look at the board wipes and removal suite in the cube - I think I currently have too many board wipes in white (and not enough elsewhere), and I'd like to make sure there are sufficient answers to noncreature problems.

I'm very tempted to add the full 'Joins Up' cycle from OTJ, which works well with all the legends in the cube. Annie Joins Up and Rakdos Joins Up in particular seem nuts, but the others also seem reasonable.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Cube Lists”