Replacement Effects, Who Has Control

The Desacrator
Pronoun: he / him

Post by The Desacrator » 4 months ago

Urabrask
Grapeshot
Mechanized Warfare
Solphim, Mayhem Dominus

Say my opponent has Urabrask, Mechanized Warfare, and Solphim on the board. He Grapeshots me for 1 damage. Can you choose to stack the abilities where I would take 4 damage or do i choose and take 3?

Accepted Answer

by WizardMN » 4 months ago
Since "random internet person said it works this way" isn't the greatest argument, here is the main rule for this interaction:

616.1. If two or more replacement and/or prevention effects are attempting to modify the way an event affects an object or player, the affected object's controller (or its owner if it has no controller) or the affected player chooses one to apply, following the steps listed below. If two or more players have to make these choices at the same time, choices are made in APNAP order (see rule 101.4).

Then this applies asking you to repeat the process:

616.1f. Once the chosen effect has been applied, this process is repeated (taking into account only replacement or prevention effects that would now be applicable) until there are no more left to apply.
Go to full post

WizardMN
Answers: 126

Post by WizardMN » 4 months ago

You, as the affected player (or, if targeting a permanent, the controller of the affected object) get to choose the relative order of the replacement effects. So, you can apply Mechanized Warfare last to ensure the 1 is doubled to 2 and then Warfare adds one to that to get to 3.

You could do it the other way around to get to 4 if you wanted for some reason. But the choice is yours.

The Desacrator

Great thanks that's what I thought. Some guy I played with disagreed but ill show him this if I see him again.

WizardMN
Answers: 126

Post by WizardMN » 4 months ago

Since "random internet person said it works this way" isn't the greatest argument, here is the main rule for this interaction:

616.1. If two or more replacement and/or prevention effects are attempting to modify the way an event affects an object or player, the affected object's controller (or its owner if it has no controller) or the affected player chooses one to apply, following the steps listed below. If two or more players have to make these choices at the same time, choices are made in APNAP order (see rule 101.4).

Then this applies asking you to repeat the process:

616.1f. Once the chosen effect has been applied, this process is repeated (taking into account only replacement or prevention effects that would now be applicable) until there are no more left to apply.

The Desacrator

Thanks buddy. I screen shotted your explanation. Have a Merry Christmas!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”