Jared Carthalion in King Conan and the Mystery of the Missing Throne

WolfWhoWanders
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by WolfWhoWanders » 3 years ago

Whipped up this initial brew for Jared Carthalion, True Heir. There's a lot of fun looking new stuff, but he and the turtle shaman had me most interested. Jared is intended to be a more fun build, monarch is an incredible mechanic for casual multiplayer magic. The Archelos build will likely be a more evil version of my Great Aurora deck. Anywho, just wanna drop the list before I go to work. Will try to provide a write-up sometime soon, but I've done absolutely no playtesting and don't even get to play much anymore. Let me know if y'all got any more spice and flavor or comments. It might be nice to lower the curve but again, not even sure yet. Anybody got any experience with this guy yet?
Conan of Aquilonia

Planeswalkers (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

Responds well to spells and abilities

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

The en-Kor creatures can redirect damage. Maybe Shaman en-Kor is worth it you can double up on counters and keep the Shaman alive through your own big damage spells.

Soltari Guerrillas can be used either for its evasion to get monarch or creature removal. Highly underrated card.

Selfless Spirit for flying attack (monarch) and protection.

When Jared get big you want to push through for voltron damage so Kessig Wolf Run and Skarrg, the Rage Pits provide trample.

Reconnaissance is an excellent way to attack and get the monarch, then you can untap your creatures after damage is dealt so that they are untapped to defend. It just makes attacking super easy if you go wide a bit as you just remove any creatures that would die from combat.

Grenzo, Havoc Raiser can provide goad. On that note maybe just a few more evasive creatures rather than literally going for cards that say "you become the monarch".

Even though Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant prevents damage to Jared, it still protects all your creatures against your own spell (Earthquake, etc). Sure you give up on +1/+1 counters but gain a lot on defensive and offence measures for your 99.

Wallycaine
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Wallycaine » 3 years ago

darrenhabib wrote:
3 years ago
Even though Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant prevents damage to Jared, it still protects all your creatures against your own spell (Earthquake, etc). Sure you give up on +1/+1 counters but gain a lot on defensive and offence measures for your 99.
Actually, you get to choose which one applies first, so you'll still pick up counters when you're the monarch.

WolfWhoWanders

Post by WolfWhoWanders » 3 years ago

@darrenhabib

The en-kor seem like some good tech, Shaman en-Kor is in there, but will probably be the only one at first. If the mechanic overperforms I might be keen to add some more.

I've been using Soltari Guerrillas in an Akiri, Fearless Voyager deck I built for mtgo, and I agree. Absolutely an underrated card, and even spicier with double strike. I had thrown the Soltari Visionary in here for the easy acquisition of monarch and potential enchantment removal (plagued by tithes and studies lately). Maybe room can be found for the guerrillas too, I love that people don't really know about the card...it is sooo good for Boros

I like the idea of Reconnaissance and I thought I had Grenzo, Havoc Raiser in here. He's a favorite of mine too.

I agree there is probably too great a density of "you become the monarch" cards. I think for the initial build I'll keep most of them, probably take out the Court of Grace and a couple others. I think I'd prefer to focus on creatures that etb and give monarch, which can be repeated with an Erratic Portal anyways.

@Wallycaine

That is some excellent knowledge and a strong argument for Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant // Rune-Tail's Essence. Probably take the white court out for him initially.
Responds well to spells and abilities

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”