Jeskai and Naya Commanders

Icarii
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Icarii » 4 years ago

Tong Sonzong of the West 1URW
Legendary Creature - Human Monk (M)
Prowess
Instant and sorcery spells you control with a converted mana cost 2 have rebound.
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell from exile, you may pay 1. If you do, copy it. You may choose new targets for the copy.
"Once I learned, twice I mastered."
2/3

Kunokar, Grievance Blade 2RGW
Legendary Creature - Cat Warrior (M)
Vigilance
Whenever a creature you control is dealt damage by a creature an opponent controls, ~ deals 3 damage to that creature's controller and you gain 3 life.
1g, t: Another target creature you control fights target creature an opponent controls.
"The feelings of hatred are mutual!"
3/5

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

Tong, on first read I assumed it had "or less" which would have made it way stronger. Without that I feel it's too constraining. I think this would benefit from costing X and using counters to charge the CMC of spells it cares about.

Kunokar, this punishes normal combat way too much. I'm not certain if noncombat is required or if there is a way to mitigate it such that combat isn't completely one sided

Icarii

Post by Icarii » 4 years ago

Keep in mind Tong doubling ability checks ALL cards cast from exile, not just from rebound effects. I addition, Tong effectively tripples 2cc spells you cast. He is very powerful as is and offers more choices than first appears.

Kunokar might be better if your creature has to survive.

Mimicvat

Post by Mimicvat » 4 years ago

Eh, for five mana, and lacking UB in its colour ID, I think a naya commander is allowed to wreck face in the combat phase. I like that Kunokar does this without just being "your big creatures are even bigger".
Kunokar might be better if your creature has to survive.
If he needs a nerf in that department, which I'm not convinced of, what about this:

"Combat damage to creatures you control is dealt in the form of +1/-1 counters. Whenever a creature you control recieves one or more +1/-1 counters this way, it deals 3 damage to the controller of the creature that dealt combat damage to it and you gain 3 life."

Wordy and clunky, but it tries to tie the idea of revenge and kind of raging out, which seems to be what Kunokar is about.

I love Tong because I'm a fan of spellslinger but tired of the usual approach of "copy big spells". I also love the flavour text - I'm such a sucker for the eastern mystic aesthetic in Jeskai.
Currently building: ww Bruna, the Fading Light (card advantage tribal / reanimator)
Main decks;
r Neheb, Big Red Champion g Yeva's Mono Green Control, b Ayara's Aristocrats rb Greven, Predator Captain the One Punch Man, ugw Derevri, Empirical Tactician Aggro,rwbu Tymna & Kraum's Saboteurs, wbg Kondo & Tymna's Hatebears wugTuvasa's Silver Bullets, urBrudiclad does Brudiclad thingsgubSidisi, Brood Tyrant (lantern control)

Scarman

Post by Scarman » 4 years ago

Icarii wrote:
4 years ago
Tong Sonzong of the West 1URW
Legendary Creature - Human Monk (M)
Prowess
Instant and sorcery spells you control with a converted mana cost 2 have rebound.
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell from exile, you may pay 1. If you do, copy it. You may choose new targets for the copy.
"Once I learned, twice I mastered."
2/3

Kunokar, Grievance Blade 2RGW
Legendary Creature - Cat Warrior (M)
Vigilance
Whenever a creature you control is dealt damage by a creature an opponent controls, ~ deals 3 damage to that creature's controller and you gain 3 life.
1g, t: Another target creature you control fights target creature an opponent controls.
"The feelings of hatred are mutual!"
3/5
I already like both cards, but I wonder if the abilities on both cards shouldn´t cost more:

Tong Sonzong - I would make the ability cost either 1R or 1U, since it feels like a colored ability, and I don´t expect a deck that has this as commander to have mana shortage.

Kunokar - I expect an activation to result most of the times in a favorable swing in board advantage, or at least in a trade. For a repeatable effect, I think 2G is appropriate. You might consider putting it at sorcery speed, but maybe that´s too big of a nerf, as you still have to have some board presence.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”