[2XM] Misc Spoilers from the mothership

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dusk » 3 years ago

From the products page there are several reveals for the set, from pack art to cards.
https://magic.wizards.com/en/products/double-masters
On packs:
Dark Confidant
Wurmcoil Engine
Breya, Etherium Shaper

Cards:
Reclamation Sage
Expedition Map ← borderless version
That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 3 years ago

I find the Avon lands unappealing in new frame. Why did they even change the frame?

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

This set looks massively disappointing for what they want us to pay for it.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

ironic gesture

Post by ironic gesture » 3 years ago

Based on what's been spoiled so far, agreed.

Maluko
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Maluko » 3 years ago

I've seen some commenters arguing that if packs only had one rare and cost half the price, then this probably would've been a great set, on par with ultimate masters. As it is, with half the rares spoiled so far not being worth the price of a pack... yeah, things are not looking good. And keep in mind the most exciting cards are usually spoiled first. But we'll see how the rest of the preview season goes.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

I will be totally honest and say that I am warming up to the set, but I am in no way convinced it will be worth buying yet. Although the mythics are nice and needed reprints, they can't be used as a basis for whether or not it is worth buying. I want to see what rare lands are in the set, and uncommons. The Urzatron is nice to see at common, but anyone who is a veteran MTG player already has a full playset of it, with some to spare. So far, meh.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

I'm going to reserve full judgment, but leaning slightly negative. There are definitely some high-tier reprints (Karn Liberated, Doubling Season, Mana Crypt...) and some lower-tier things that really needed a reprint due to availability (Boon Reflection, Stonehewer Giant, Rhys the Redeemed, etc). We haven't seen a large percentage of the set yet, but double rares allows for a very interesting format (leaning more towards Cube, which is a format I enjoy). This really does look like a format I would enjoy drafting.

....and then we get to the price per pack, and I really can't justify it anymore. >.> It might be possible if the EV were crazy high, but all the 'only expensive due to low availability' cards are going to drag that down significantly. And while I can justify spending some amount of money on a draft as paying for a few hours of entertainment, that gets significantly more difficult to justify when packs are this expensive.

...admittedly though, I did buy half a box of Ultimate Masters, which was also far more than I expected to spend on that set. On the other hand, there were also a ton of cards in that set I wanted. I'm going to reserve judgment on 2XM until the full set is out, but the revealed cards don't catch my attention quite as much. Unfortunately, even if it ends up being super impressive, I'm probably still going to pass unless I can actually draft the set, which seems... unlikely in the current environment.

Still, should be a good source of singles, at least.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”