Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

January CCL Top 4

"Crime and Punishment"

hqdefault.jpg
Gaddock Teeg, by Greg Staples
Welcome to the Card Creation League!

Theme

This month, the CCL has been doing noncreature mechanics -- but they've gotten kind of out of control, so R&D needs to give players some options to fight back.

Challenge
Design a hate card for one of the mechanics you used in Round 1 or 2 that doesn't include the mechanic's name in its rules text.

Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Please include a spoiler of the design in your entry that you're referencing so that other competitors don't have to go looking through the previous rounds to figure out what mechanic you're designing around.
  • As an example, if your mechanic was flashback, Grafdigger's Cage would qualify while Catalyst Stone would not.
Competitors:

[mention]barbecube[/mention]
[mention]Henlock[/mention]
[mention]Ink-Treader[/mention]
[mention]void_nothing[/mention]
Your submissions are due Tuesday, January 28th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (January 1st–7th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (January 8th–14th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due January 17th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (January 18th–21st)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due January 23rd)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (January 26th–28th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due January 30th)
  • Final (End of month, winner determined by public poll)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Round 1 - Jump-start
Show
Hide
void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Translocation Test 3RR
Sorcery (R)
Reveal the top card of your library. If it's a nonland permanent card, create a token that's a copy of that permanent. If it's a creature, it gains haste until end of turn. Sacrifice it at end of turn. If it's an instant or sorcery card, copy that card and you may cast the copy without paying its mana cost. If it's a land card, exile it and repeat this process.
Jump-start
Screeching Madness 2B
Enchantment (R)
If an opponent would discard a card, they discard it into exile. When a card is exiled in this way, you may play it this turn and spend mana as though it were mana of any type to do so.
1B: Exile target instant or sorcery card from a graveyard. Create a 1/1 black Bat creature token with flying.
On Torrezon, horrid things began to befall scholars studying the myths of Aclazotz.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

I've done a lot more reading of the comprehensive rules than I've wanted to.
Round 1 mechanic: Splice
Show
Hide
Propagate W
Sorcery (R)
Populate
Splice onto instant or sorcery 2W (As you cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may reveal this card from your hand and pay its splice cost. If you do, add this card's effects to that spell.)
/////
Prosper G
Sorcery (R)
Proliferate
Splice onto instant or sorcery 2G (As you cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may reveal this card from your hand and pay its splice cost. If you do, add this card's effects to that spell.)
Mindluller 1B
Creature - Nightmare (R)
Menace
Cards in player's hands have no abilities.
Players drawing or discarding cards doesn't cause abilities to trigger.
Marte wished for peace of mind, failing to consider that a thoughtless mind counted.
2/1
Possible concerns
Show
Hide
Kicker and friends operate from the stack, so optional and additional costs still operate (a pity, that could have been pretty interesting).

Stops Cycling and Splice, and also Madness I believe.

slimytrout

[mention]Henlock[/mention] and [mention]barbecube[/mention]: do you need more time? Round deadline is supposed to be tonight but would be a little pointless to have a Top 4 with only two competitors...

slimytrout

Well, I'm going to leave the round open until at least midnight tonight (a little more than 12 hours from now). If I still haven't heard anything from our remaining competitors by then, I guess we'll just go straight on to the finals since there wouldn't be much need for critiques.

slimytrout

No evidence that the remaining two competitors are planning to submit entries, so on to the finals we go... It'll be posted imminently.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

Insubstantiality 2ww
Enchantment (r)
Counters can't be placed on creatures.
If a permanent would become attached to a creatue, destroy it instead.
Prevent all.noncombat damage creatures would deal.

I'm.postong my submission.

barbecube
Pronoun: he / him

Post by barbecube » 4 years ago

Sorry for missing the round! I have been moving house and my availability has been compromised. Good luck to the finalists!
formerly willows

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”