Morophon, First Apostle

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

I've been wanting to build a Shadowborn Apostle deck for a number of years. In the beginning, Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker with the most synergy or just-for-colour options, typically Sultai or Golgari. Over the years, other suitable generals have been printed; notably Athreos, God of Passage who seems to be the reigning champ as most popular.

My version wants to use Morophon, the Boundless. The synergy is clear if limited; Shadowborn Apostles are free while Morophon is out if we name humans or clerics. I'm leaning towards humans for Saskia the Unyielding, (and, they're +1/+1, which might matter for something like Night of Soul's Betrayal).

Of course, I have a few cards down, but I'm unsure of what to do with it for the vast majority of the free slots (even though those slots are steeply reduced).

@MeowZeDung @toctheyounger: Rather than clutter the Unusual decks thread, come discuss here if you're interested!

Tags:

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 4 years ago

It's too bad GE Oketra doesn't trigger when you pull off the mass recursion nonsense a la Servitude and Rally. Perhaps you could consider Champion of the Parish and Thalia's Lieutenant? Without evasion the huge bodies would still be meh, but perhaps there's a +1/+1 counter combo to be had somewhere here?

Heron's Grace Champion for mass lifegain perhaps?

Anafenza, the Foremost is a free hatebear with Morophon out that would play real nice with board wipes.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

Secret Salvage is some fantastic tech there. I've been eyeing a couple Damia lists for Relentless Rats right here and also here. There might be some tech in those to ponder.

Grim Haruspex could be a decent redundancy for Harvester of Souls if you need it. And it might be rather winmore if you've got enough Apostles out, but Abhorrent Overlord is a good demon for black devotion.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

toctheyounger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Edgewalker is a staple in the Athreos Shadowborn, perhaps a mini Morophon here?

I use Night of Souls' Betrayal in Dralnu. People don't think much of it until it turns off their elves/goblins and dorks in general. Could be a good add.

I don't know what the specific win con is here other than find demons for profit, which is fair enough. Although Athreos is a win-con all of it's own. That being said, getting a whole lotta Apostles on board, dropping some of them for say Archfiend of Despair then Mirrorweaveing the rest for an alpha strike sounds as nuts as any other Mirrorweave play.

Are we looking at other 'creature type' matters cards? Here's what I found:

Cover of Darkness
Shared Animosity
Door of Destinies
Etchings of the Chosen
Faces of the Past - this seems like an auto-win if you end up adding Persistent Petitioners
Grave Sifter
Kindred Charge
Kindred Discovery
Kindred Summons
Mirror Entity
Patriarch's Bidding
Steely Resolve
Unsettled Mariner

Hard to know what else to suggest as I'm not sure specifically where you're taking the deck outside of the apostles, but otherwise there's some great humans about:

Thalia, Heretic Cathar
Peacekeeper
Academy Rector
Meddling Mage
Soul's Attendant et al
Weathered Wayfarer
Magus of the Moat et al
Saffi Eriksdotter
Sun Quan, Lord of Wu

Does any of that help?
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Segrus

Post by Segrus » 4 years ago

I have a mostly casual Apostle deck, and I make really good use of Lifeline in it. I also really like being able to get multiple uses out of Gallows at Willow Hill. Cryptolith Rite also really gets the mana going wherever you've got a bunch of low-cost humans.

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

I'm wondering if Syr Konrad the Grim might be a good add here, especially if you're going down that mass reanimation route. He might just deck the table by himself, and it's always good to have a route to victory that doesn't involve the red zone, just in case.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

MeowZeDung wrote:
4 years ago
It's too bad GE Oketra doesn't trigger when you pull off the mass recursion nonsense a la Servitude and Rally. Perhaps you could consider Champion of the Parish and Thalia's Lieutenant? Without evasion the huge bodies would still be meh, but perhaps there's a +1/+1 counter combo to be had somewhere here?

Heron's Grace Champion for mass lifegain perhaps?

Anafenza, the Foremost is a free hatebear with Morophon out that would play real nice with board wipes.
I think that Champion of the Parish and Thalia's Lieutenant aren't really strong enough to go for. They'd probably be good in 60x4, and maybe in Limited, but, I don't feel like a 4/4 beater you have to work for would be good here. I had to reread Anafenza to note she's asymmetric (wow!) and I think HGC has some real potential as a post-hoc surprise buff, especially when put together with Morophon's buff. The lifelink is what really sells it for me; my group's games tend to grind on pretty long, and gaining life can be a big deal.
lyonhaert wrote:
4 years ago
Secret Salvage is some fantastic tech there. I've been eyeing a couple Damia lists for Relentless Rats right here and also here. There might be some tech in those to ponder.

Grim Haruspex could be a decent redundancy for Harvester of Souls if you need it. And it might be rather winmore if you've got enough Apostles out, but Abhorrent Overlord is a good demon for black devotion.
Secret Salvage is a card I'm really fond of, but it's clearly useless very narrow in EDH. I'm torn on the idea that it might be too busted; imagine you search 20+ Apostles, drop them for free, tutor three demons... It's a bit much. I'm working on a 60x4 'name-magic' deck that wants to use Retraced Image and Mitotic Manipulation (among other janky cards), but, it's forever on the backburner.

Abhorrent Overlord is an interesting idea. I think he suffers the same problem as Harvester of Souls where he would (ostensibly) show up right after a bloody massacre of Apostles. It just kind of feels bad (and, I have the same side-eye towards HoS). Grim Haruspex has the good grace to be human, in addition.
toctheyounger wrote:
4 years ago
Edgewalker is a staple in the Athreos Shadowborn, perhaps a mini Morophon here?
Almost certainly.
I use Night of Souls' Betrayal in Dralnu. People don't think much of it until it turns off their elves/goblins and dorks in general. Could be a good add.
I actually specifically don't want to run NoSB. The problem is that if they kill Morophon (which isn't hard), I get totally borked by my own card. Feelsbad.
I don't know what the specific win con is here other than find demons for profit, which is fair enough. Although Athreos is a win-con all of it's own. That being said, getting a whole lotta Apostles on board, dropping some of them for say Archfiend of Despair then Mirrorweaveing the rest for an alpha strike sounds as nuts as any other Mirrorweave play.
Mirrorweave is definitely coming in. It's an onerous enough 'combo' that it's probably okay in my group.

I think non-combo wincons are probably going to be an issue for the deck. I'm reluctant to make it Aristocrats, and Demons alone probably don't win it (even with Liliana's Contract).
Are we looking at other 'creature type' matters cards? Here's what I found:
My group frowns on powerful combo pretty hard, so Faces of the Past is probably unwelcome. It's an interesting angle to just make them a 'human tribal' deck with a handful of demons at the top end, and that was something I was considering. I think that's how most of the Athreos versions run; they're Aristocrat/human tribal, and just hope for the best.

Definitely worth thinking about.
Hard to know what else to suggest as I'm not sure specifically where you're taking the deck outside of the apostles, but otherwise there's some great humans about:
I think I want to avoid playing humans just for humans sake without some strategy that really sells it, or unless it's free (or near-free) with a really powerful effect (like Saskia the Unyielding). Maybe some of the singularly powerful cards would be worth it, but, I don't think I want to play Sun Quan for 4U rather than 4UU. Kindred stuff in general, (especially Kindred Discovery, since the only thing better than playing free cards is getting free draws in addition) might make the cut, as well as singularly powerful cards like Shared Animosity or Coat of Arms.
Does any of that help?
Definitely!
Segrus wrote:
4 years ago
I have a mostly casual Apostle deck, and I make really good use of Lifeline in it. I also really like being able to get multiple uses out of Gallows at Willow Hill. Cryptolith Rite also really gets the mana going wherever you've got a bunch of low-cost humans.
I could definitely play Gallows, haha. Cryptolith Rite is also a good one.
Dragonlover wrote:
4 years ago
I'm wondering if Syr Konrad the Grim might be a good add here, especially if you're going down that mass reanimation route. He might just deck the table by himself, and it's always good to have a route to victory that doesn't involve the red zone, just in case.
Yes. I think for the deck to really shine, some Aristocrats will probably be necessary. Syr Konrad is definitely a consideration, though his mana cost is pretty high (reduced by Morophon though!!!)

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I'll update the list once I have some more time!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”