New Format Idea - No Reserve List Vintage

mASTERsELF
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by mASTERsELF » 4 years ago

Hey all, I was wondering what you all think of the idea of a new MtG format. That format being no reserve list vintage. Imagine vintage with no reserve list. We could start with the modern ban list, but everything currently banned in modern and everything not in modern (and not on the reserve list) would be restricted to one-of only. Seems like a format that could be tons of fun and enable a large variety of competitive decks. I'd love to play with Force of Will in a format with no reserve list cards, so it is actually somewhat affordable and likely to be more widely played than Legacy and Vintage.

motleyslayer
Pronoun: he / him

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

I've never played vintage as a format really before, but I'd assume one of the appeals of vintage is that you get to play with busted cards on the reserve list that you can't play anywhere else, like black lotus, ancestral recall and bazaar of Baghdad.

There are probably a lot of cards that are played in vintage but not on the reserved list, but taking away the reserve list from vintage seems to me like taking away the appeal of the format

mASTERsELF

There are lots of busted non-reserve list cards that aren't legal in Modern you would be able to play in this format though (e.g. Force of Will, Skullclamp, etc.). The appeal of this format would be you could play with these cards, there would be variability in games as those cards would be restricted and the format would actually be widely playable in paper since the cards are not on the reserve list and so more widespread and cheaper.

SocorroTortoise
Not A Turtle

Post by SocorroTortoise » 4 years ago

Vintage strategies without full access to vintage disruption (e.g. 4x Force) just sounds like a combo race.
[Pr]Jaya | Estrid | A rotating cast of decks built out of my box

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

So your pitch is 'more affordable Legacy/Vintage'.
I get banning all cards on the reserved list.
But why are you restricting all cards that are not legal in modern?
It sounds like Modern but people will play a bunch of one ofs - Force of will, Sol Ring, Mana Crypt, Mana Vault, Ancient Tomb.... and also by the way they are only allowed to play one copy of Splinter Twin and Bridge from Below.

Why not just make it a format where the reserved list is banned and then follow Vintage's restricted list to make sure people are not playing multiple copies of all the broken cards, but where they can still play 4x Force of Will.

Now, if we agree that Modern is not a good starting point for a restricted list, then I can address your pitch directly - and I think it has potential, just not now.

Because of the restricted list, Vintage and Legacy are becoming exclusively online formats. It is so much more practical to play online, and affordable. I believe we will reach a point where Vintage and Legacy lose off-line support (meaning, stores stop hosting events). When that happens, I think there will be a push to make a new competitive format that doesn't have the duals and many other restricted cards.

That's when this idea may make sense.
If people still play paper magic.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

mASTERsELF

I agree Dunharrow. I just put forward the idea of restricting all non-modern legal cards not on the reserve list as a starting point. I am ok with starting at a different point. For example, all non-reserve list cards legal, then restrict cards as the meta forms and what is busted becomes clear. Force of Will is my favourite magic card, so I'm definitely down with it as a 4-of and I agree it would likely be a strong glue for the format like it is in legacy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “General Discussion”