Klothys, God of Global Warming (Let's Brew!)

Cyberium
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

Klothys, God of Destiny

I want to make a deck with Klothys that focuses on global damage and mana punishment Another article from EDHREC just recently talked about some Gruul cards, Overabundance and Orcish Lumberjack being two, and I think we can add Torbran, Thane of Red Fell, Sulfuric Vortex, Manabarbs for more damage, while locking down with Winter Orb/Static Orb type spells for further lockdown.

Filling the Grave
Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by Cyberium 4 years ago, edited 14 times in total.

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

Post by Card Slinger J » 4 years ago

Maybe run both Elvish Spirit Guide and Simian Spirit Guide for a turn 1 Klothys If you have the perfect opening hand? Speaking of mana accel, Tinder Wall and Neheb, the Eternal aren't bad either. Maybe consider Monsoon and Price of Glory for those control builds while Klothys gives you the option to exile their lands to add more insult to injury.

Mindcrank would add an interesting mill theme to fuel Klothys' second ability. Well of Lost Dreams costs you 2 mana and a card to exile from a graveyard to draw 3 cards a turn. Ageless Entity keeps getting bigger every time you gain 2 life from Klothys. Mesmeric Orb seems like it would be fun with this Gruul Stax strategy you've got going on here.

If you have a way to blink Riftsweeper repeatedly for it's ETB trigger you can constantly shuffle back in cards you exile with Klothys' second ability. Perhaps Conjurer's Closet and Voyager Staff could help with that. That would be another good reason to run Horned Kavu and Shivan Wurm to bounce Riftsweeper back to hand to recast for it's ETB.
Last edited by Card Slinger J 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
"Salvation is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have lived through it."

- Ralph Smart

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 4 years ago

Klothys is nice in that she is a nonaggro commander in a normally aggro-bound color pair.

You could always expand on the "punishment" aspect. This would give a great outlet for cards like Cindervines, Ancient Runes, Spellshock, etc. RG also has some decent critters that add to these effects, like Burning-Tree Shaman and Harsh Mentor, as well as several "noncreature spell" punishers.
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

I think the most efficient way to keep the yards stocked is probably going to be killing stuff and wheels. Cute stuff lke sac'ing dorks and what not feels like a good way to have a deck that's full of jank - which might be fun, but gets old to me personally.

Cards in the vein of harsh mentor and burning-tree shaman are probably the way I would go. There're quite a few duders like that in red esp.

I don't think stax effects are the way to go since they don't fuel the yard and prevent other people from getting in on the damage race. Other people fighting is great for your plan.

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today

Post by Card Slinger J » 4 years ago

If you're wanting to go Aggro instead of Stax then Bloodthirst isn't a bad option.
"Salvation is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have lived through it."

- Ralph Smart

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

I'll call out Primal Order, one of the few playable cards from Homelands.

Other than that, Ruric Thar, the Unbowed is always fun. Klothys seems like a reasonable way to ramp into things, plus it provides a bit of a life buffer to soften the burn a bit. Destructive Force and Wildfire also seem reasonable if you want to fuel the mana production ability.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Reminds me a lot of Mogis, God of Slaughter.

Here are some global damage cards.
Might as well have lots of removal given the "indestructible" and the fact that so much of your cards are enchantments (and not creatures probably).

You could have some land destruction as well considering she give you a mana to give you a head start after board wipe.

Cyberium

List updated. I like Klothys being a Gruul general who benefits from milling. You can then exile cards base on what you need after.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Cyberium wrote:
4 years ago
List updated. I like Klothys being a Gruul general who benefits from milling. You can then exile cards base on what you need after.
I personally think milling opponents is a recipe for disaster. Even though Klothys, God of Destiny has the ability to exile a card each turn from any graveyard, it's a full turn and will often be too slow to stop a power play if you are feeding your opponents graveyard strategies.
Mesmeric Orb and Mindcrank are particularly terrible. Unless you have your own amazing graveyard strategy, Mesmeric Orb literally does nothing except make your opponents decks stronger.

At the end of the day you'll always 100% have a card to exile from a graveyard each turn. The best idea is to have fetch-lands so that you have early mana acceleration from her during the early turns, and then switching to damage mode later, and you'll have tons of graveyard targets once opponents have cast spells as well.
You can look at your own discard to fuel her ability to function a little better. Here is a list of potential cards to fuel discard.
I'm building up the idea of basically a very creature light deck. The reason is that you can run cards that deal damage to players (to go on theme) and also creatures.
Also of note cards that I thought could be good: One element that you could lead up to is in fact using all the Gods as they are indestructible, which means immune to your own mass removal.
However they don't particular do anything until the all give you a certain amount of devotion.
With devotion in general, you might want to pressure with Klothys, God of Destiny as a 4/5. With this in mind will pay to keep a tabs on enchantments especially which give you devotion and advantages. Some that come to mind.
With so many enchantments you can run the enchantress draw package, even though they wouldn't mix well with the mass creature destruction, you still might be able to configure in a way that you can run advantages at times you catch opponents with their pants down.
Then also back up opponents removal with..

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 4 years ago

Snake Umbra is pretty nice with Klothys. If she's a creature, you can just exile a card from a graveyard and draw X cards, where X is your number of opponents.

Hurricane and Squall Line are nice and thematic to boot.

Don't forget the red swords. They're useful if you have any creatures without indestructible.

Mage Slayer lets you do more damage to one player during combat.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Cyberium

List updated. I think milling's effect depends on how much your meta utilizes graveyard, though mass LD and/or Wheel effect are indeed more productive by comparison.

Snake Umbra is an awesome suggestion.

Cyberium

An interesting take, it has a mix theme of land tools, LD, Enchantress, and lock down. Helm of the Host is a surprise, though an understandable one.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”