Mikaeus and animated objects.

DementedKirby
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DementedKirby » 4 years ago

If I have Mikaeus, the Unhallowed in play and an animated land dies. Does the land return to the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it? What about an animated artifact? Let's say Karn, Silver Golem animated an artifact and it's destroyed. Does it return to the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it?

Thanks in advance!

Accepted Answer

by peteroupc » 4 years ago
In general, undying will return a card to the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it, even if that card isn't a creature card in the graveyard, unless it's an instant or sorcery card, in which case the card will remain in the graveyard rather than return to the battlefield this way (C.R. 702.92a, 304.4, 307.4; see also this thread).

Note that noncreature permanents are not kept from having +1/+1 counters or other kinds of counters on them merely because they're noncreature permanents (C.R. 122, especially C.R. 122.1 and 122.1a). See also this thread.
Go to full post
My YouTube Channel:
The Commander Tavern
- a channel I just started where I'll post content like deck techs and gameplays.
Please support by checking it out. Maybe you'll like its content and subscribe! Thanks!

peteroupc
Answers: 31
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by peteroupc » 4 years ago

In general, undying will return a card to the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it, even if that card isn't a creature card in the graveyard, unless it's an instant or sorcery card, in which case the card will remain in the graveyard rather than return to the battlefield this way (C.R. 702.92a, 304.4, 307.4; see also this thread).

Note that noncreature permanents are not kept from having +1/+1 counters or other kinds of counters on them merely because they're noncreature permanents (C.R. 122, especially C.R. 122.1 and 122.1a). See also this thread.
Last edited by peteroupc 4 years ago, edited 5 times in total.

WiseWarriorQc
Answers: 13
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WiseWarriorQc » 4 years ago

Yes, the card will return in both cases. Undying works based on the fact that the permanent was a creature and had undying as it last existed on the battlefield, it doesn't need it to be a creature card to bring it back to the battlefield, nor to put a +1/+1 counter on it. The card usually returns as a noncreature permanent since it's a new object, so the +1/+1 counter will have no effect at first, but it will apply if the permanent gets "animated" again.
I'm a former judge (lapsed), who keeps up to date on rules and policy. Keep in mind that judges' answers aren't necessarily more valid than those of people who aren't judges; what matters is we can quote the rules to back up our answers. When in doubt, ask for such quotes.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”