Vaevictis Asmadi: Chaos Warps For Everyone!

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 2 months ago

Threw this deck together in two hours from what I had lying around. Currently a first draft, but I may tune it further if I feel like it. The basic idea is 'Vaevictis likes to sacrifice cheap value permanents and cheat in expensive stuff'. It's currently a Primal Surge build, but I'm planning to swap that out for Demonic Dread // Violent OutburstGlimpse of Tomorrow.
Decklist

Instants

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by Mookie 10 hours ago, edited 4 times in total.

Tags:

Mookie

I got in two games with this deck today, winning both of them. The deck definitely felt like it had a lower power level than my other decks - I'm not running much card draw or removal, and a lot of the 'threats' are of dubious quality (there's a reason why stuff like Moldgraf Monstrosity was in my rare binder instead of in an actual deck). I did sort of enjoy the lower deck power level though - it's fun to get a chance to play with Bag of Tricks and other cards I haven't been able to find a home for.

That said, Vaevictis is capable of carrying a lot of weight by himself - making my opponents sacrifice their best thing on attack is a very strong effect and capable of tearing apart some opposing strategies. It's particularly strong against commander-based strategies that don't have haste or some form of protection. On the flip side, opponents tended to kill Vaevictis whenever possible, since they don't like losing their best stuff. I think it's a little sad that the most appealing part of Vaevictis is the ability to flip stuff off the top of my own deck, but the most impactful ability is usually the ability to hit my opponents' stuff.

The main highlight of note from the first game was negating a hexproof counter on an opposing 12/12 Me, the Immortal with Archetype of Endurance, which was pretty sweet. The second game was long and grindy - I somehow got up to paying 16 mana for Vaevictis by the time the game ended, with Fauna ShamanSidisi, Undead VizierPrimal Surge serving as a much-appreciated way to actually close out the game.

Overall, I will say I found the deck to be fun to pilot, and I'm looking forward to swapping to the Glimpse of Tomorrow build. I may also run Hypergenesis for the memes.

Mookie

Starting to think about what I want to pick up for a more polished version of this deck. Glimpse of Tomorrow, Warp World, and The Great Aurora are on the shortlist, but beyond that I think there are a few potential directions I could take the deck.

Dragons! - lots of dragons and support cards Stompy / Combat - haste + attack/combat damage triggers. Extra combats?
  • Pros: I'm likely to want a number of haste enablers for Vaevictis anyway. Potential immediate win condition after Glimpse / Warp World.
  • Cons: Some tension with being cheated out by Vaevictis (since stuff that is cheated out won't be attacking). May not directly contribute to juicing Glimpse / Warp World plan.
Cheaty stuff - expensive stuff, topdeck manipulation, and ways to cheat stuff out
  • Pros: feels on-theme with Glimpse / Warp World. I'll take any excuse to run Omen Machine and Elvish Piper.
  • Cons: lower average card quality, high variance. Commander-reliant. Budget and deckbuilding restrictions mean no access to the actually broken options (Sneak Attack, Lurking Predators, etc)
Permanent spam - stuff that makes more stuff. Potential landfall theme.
  • Pros: lots of mana acceleration/ramp. Very juicy Glimpse / Warp Worlds
  • Cons: may have a lot of wheel-spinning with no way to close out the game. Sort of goodstuff-y / generic.
Sacrifice - sac fodder, theft, graveyard stuff and recursion/reanimation I suspect I'll end up having a mix of the above, with a bias towards cheaty stuff and permanent spam. There are plenty of sweet cards with attack / combat triggers that I'm hoping to run, but I don't think I'll go all-in with Wulfgar of Icewind Dale or extra combats. I also expect to be somewhat light on graveyard synergies - World Shaper and The Gitrog Monster are sweet, but I don't want to be sacrificing lands to Vaevictis. It's possible that I will incidentally be running a bunch of fetchlands if I am running landfall stuff though. I also think Mortuary Mire / Witch's Cottage and other recursion effects are cute, but I don't expect a lot of self-mill or Buried Alive effects to dump stuff in my graveyard in the first place.

I'll note that I'm not planning to run an all-permanent Primal Surge build, but I do intend to aim for a pretty high permanent count. Something that can be cheated in off Vaevictis or Aid from the Cowl is theoretically more valuable than a non-permanent that is a miss. I'm not sure if I'll end up running Over the Top / Genesis Wave / Majestic Genesis, but it's certainly an interesting question. Similar story for ramp spells like Cultivate vs permanents like Wood Elves / Worn Powerstone - if my curve is starting at 3 and I plan to run a bunch of expensive stuff, then I'll probably want a bunch of ramp and a slightly higher land count.

...I'm also very tempted to throw in a small day/night theme, since Howlpack Piper // Wildsong Howler, Reckless Stormseeker // Storm-Charged Slasher, and Tovolar's Huntmaster // Tovolar's Packleader are all pretty good for this deck.

Mookie

Post by Mookie » 1 month ago

Mookie

Post by Mookie » 11 hours ago

Finally got all the cascade stuff, plus stuff from OTJ. So, time to make some major changes! Running nothing under 3 mana is obviously a pretty questionable choice, but this isn't exactly intended as a serious deck. May trim down my curve if it ends up being too clunky, but at least I'm adding a few more lands. I actually have a surprisingly deep pool of Wild Pair hits, which is nice - most creatures have 3 or so other cards they can fetch. There are a few spots on the curve that are a bit light, but it's not bad, given I didn't put any consideration into it whatsoever. I'm tempted to add Birthing Pod to the deck too - it seems good, given how densely-packed my creature curve is and how many value creatures I'm running. edit: got in one game with the new build, which I won. Had a somewhat slow start due to a weak mulligan, but I eventually ramped enough stuff out to get back into the game. Resolved a Warp World to build out my board and disrupt my opponents', got board wiped twice, then cast a second Warp World (recurred off a stolen Exalted Flamer of Tzeentch) to close out the game with a bunch of hasty landfall-based tokens.

Deck felt slow but powerful. Somewhat light on disruption, but I did have Vaevictis available if I really needed to deal with a problematic permanent. I did feel a bit weak to go-wide strategies, since I don't really have any board wipes. Maybe Apex Altisaur or Gruul Ragebeast? Hmm... Beyond that, I do think board complexity and time spent shuffling is a concern - I did get a few Wild Pair triggers, but they felt pretty slow to resolve. Not sure how I feel about that. I may also want another land or two, since I really can't keep a 2-land hand with this deck's curve.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”