Grenzo, Dungeon Warden - The Slot Machine of Value

Arkren
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Arkren » 2 years ago

werewulf wrote:
2 years ago
Reito Sentinel - this card is extremely interesting to me, pretty confident this will be going in my list.

Not sure I will be replacing the Reito Lantern as redundancy is so nice but the fact that this is flippable at 3 makes this auto-include for me. Thoughts?
i feel like this card is worth a slot. and if you have a lantern in your list i think that you should replace it with it. i will try to make a slot for it myself probably, but im waiting to see the full spoiler with time to see if something more can enter first.

reito sentinel almost combo with ashnod altar and grenzo alone, and im sure that the ability cost 3 instead of 2 for that reason. still, is very easy to combo with it and with a sac outlet in play the value is great and it also mills. defender is bad but usually you dont attack that much. the only "bad" thing really is that 3 power...

Tags:

Outcryqq

Post by Outcryqq » 2 years ago

werewulf wrote:
2 years ago
Reito Sentinel - this card is extremely interesting to me, pretty confident this will be going in my list.

Not sure I will be replacing the Reito Lantern as redundancy is so nice but the fact that this is flippable at 3 makes this auto-include for me. Thoughts?
I'll be replacing the lantern with the sentinel. The less dead flip in my deck, the better!

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 2 years ago

Ruthless Technomancer does look very promising!
Both mana generation and reanimation are great utility.

codebaboon
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by codebaboon » 2 years ago

First off, a big thanks to everyone that has built and contributed to this deck over the years!

I play a bit of a hybrid between the budget build and the 'full' one, and one card I'm curious about trying from Neon Dynasty is Goro-Goro, Disciple of Ryusei. It's a Goblin so it can be fetched up with things like Moggcatcher and Goblin Matron, and then works with the other Goblin synergies in the deck. And unlike Anger you can give your creatures haste without needing to already have a sac outlet online.

I'm curious to hear others' thoughts on this one!

zKtu

Post by zKtu » 2 years ago

Toshi wrote:
2 years ago
Ruthless Technomancer does look very promising!
Both mana generation and reanimation are great utility.
Now this card is pretty amazing... his first ability is absolutely amazing due to the high cost cards we play with Grenzo. Add to that the second ability and you can go infinite mana with Dockside + sac outlet. just start the loop with an artifact (one of the lands like vault of whispers, or sol ring or whatever) and then you can just sacrifice one of the treasure tokens that dockside creates. if you only generate 4 treasures, then you need something to generate infinite sacrifice value, like Goblin Sharpshooter, if you can generate 5 treasures with dockside, you have infinite mana. GG Love this card!!!

on Reito Sentinel mentioned by @werewulf it clearly replaces lanter as it can give you the infinite mana loop with Dockside. Its not as good as Epitaph Golem, but it adds redundancy like you mentioned and the deck needs it. Nice, really nice!!!

I'm running a fast combo version of the deck, you can check it in Moxfield, name of the deck is Grenzo Brutality, any comments appreciated :)

JBdnr

Post by JBdnr » 2 years ago

zKtu wrote:
2 years ago
Now this card is pretty amazing... his first ability is absolutely amazing due to the high cost cards we play with Grenzo.
It cares about power, not mana value. So usually 3 Treasures maximum. :D

crowned

Post by crowned » 2 years ago

I wouldn't get too hyped on it.
Buy some for your EDH decks, maybe it's turning out to be a really good card and suddenly worth 10$.
Under normal circumstances - flipping cards from the bottom of the library - Technomancer would miss completely if it's the only creature we have next to Grenzo.
The ceiling of 3 treasures (since we usually don't run higher power) is underwhelming and even a Workhorse would do more work.
You can find it with Fleshwrither though.
Recursion is always nice, but the cost of sacrificing artifacts is pretty steep IMO. If we want to combo with this card it seems that there's always an additional step required comparing to normal digger-loops.

Speaking of: Reito Sentinel is printed cardboard at its finest. Combopiece and mills the table if looped.

Arkren

Post by Arkren » 2 years ago

two cards for grenzo in this set, both are interesting

Reito Sentinel enters for sure, is simply too good, even without the mill part. the only "bad" thing is the 3 power if we can call that bad.

Ruthless Technomancer is also quite good. at worst is probably going to be priest of gix/urabrask. sure, it cost one more mana from hand and it needs another creature to get the mana, and is maybe less mana, but is going to give probably 2 (the number we care about), and this mana comes in form of treasures, much better than simply having it since you can use the mana later and there is always something good in having more permanents on the board. also, there are bigger power creatures in the deck in the form of creatures with counters like Woe Strider or creatures that can steal power like Duplicant , there are also goblins that can get bigger with some lords or any other creature + Judith, the Scourge Diva . so getting more treasures is not that imposible.

so i would say that this card is at least as good as priest of gix/urabrask with only the first part. then you have the second part, again, our power is usually small, so 1,2 or 3 artifacts and we are going to be able to return anything for 3 mana and the artifacts are provided by the card itself so you are going to have them. that is almost a loaded flip for 1 mana more. how many times you have one important piece of a combo in the gy? it happens to me at least. is not going to bring back a lot of them sure, but usually you only need to bring back 1 or 2 and you are set.

this card doesnt combo easily (but i can combo), it certainly helps in bringing back combo pieces from the gy, and is also quite good at giving you another spin at the wheel, or maybe some extra mana to recast grenzo if people are being extra mean to him in a game

zKtu

JBdnr wrote:
2 years ago
zKtu wrote:
2 years ago
Now this card is pretty amazing... his first ability is absolutely amazing due to the high cost cards we play with Grenzo.
It cares about power, not mana value. So usually 3 Treasures maximum. :D

oh nooo completely missed it you're right.. :(

Gribbet

Post by Gribbet » 2 years ago

Is Summoner's Egg a good fit? It can get a card out of your hand and is an artifact for things that care about it. While it only lets you get one card, it can be better than our other discard outlets since it goes into play.

zKtu

Gribbet wrote:
2 years ago
Is Summoner's Egg a good fit? It can get a card out of your hand and is an artifact for things that care about it. While it only lets you get one card, it can be better than our other discard outlets since it goes into play.
I've actually never seen this card before. It looks pretty cool. Since the deck runs so many sac outlets, it is not too difficult to put it in the graveyard. Also the cost to actually cast it is quite low, 4 colorless. I see some potential here, nice find!

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Gribbet wrote:
2 years ago
Is Summoner's Egg a good fit?
I think Clone Shell is the superior version of this type of effect, as it allows you to rearrange your bottom of the deck and doesn't require you to have anything in hand.
Currently my build is sitting at 6 creature-based free sac outlets, Ashnod's Altar, High Market and Phyrexian Tower. I'm pretty sure that's plenty of enablers, but i'm still not sold.

zKtu

Toshi wrote:
2 years ago
Gribbet wrote:
2 years ago
I think Clone Shell is the superior version of this type of effect, as it allows you to rearrange your bottom of the deck and doesn't require you to have anything in hand.
Currently my build is sitting at 6 creature-based free sac outlets, Ashnod's Altar, High Market and Phyrexian Tower. I'm pretty sure that's plenty of enablers, but i'm still not sold.
Ah good point! Also love clone shell! You're right, the putting at the bottom in any order is kickass!

Personally I run these sac outlets:
- Prospector (although its only goblins)
- Viscera Seer
- Soldevi Adnate (Tap ability so only 1 per turn. You can theoretically activate twice in a row if you do it at end step of previous player)
- Woe Strider
- Yahenni
- Dimir House Guard
- Trashmaster (only Goblins)
- Immersturm Predator
- Sling-Gang Lieutenant (Only Goblins)
- Blood Liturgist (Tap ability, same constrain as Soldevi)
- SIege Gang Commander (you need to pay 1 colorless + 1 red)
- Ashnods Altar
- Phyrexian Tower

I remember one game where I kept flipping and looking for a sac outlet so I could combo off but without success so I might have over compensated and included all of the attached. not entirely sure what is the right number

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

zKtu wrote:
2 years ago
- Viscera Seer
- Soldevi Adnate (Tap ability so only 1 per turn. You can theoretically activate twice in a row if you do it at end step of previous player)
- Woe Strider
- Yahenni
- Dimir House Guard
- Immersturm Predator
My creature ones (list is build around power 2):
- Bogardan Dragonheart
- Carrion Feeder
- Dimir House Guard
- Viscera Seer
- Yahenni, Undying Partisan
- Yawgmoth, Thran Physician

zKtu

Toshi wrote:
2 years ago
zKtu wrote:
2 years ago
- Viscera Seer
- Woe Strider
- Yahenni
- Dimir House Guard
- Immersturm Predator
- Bogardan Dragonheart
- Carrion Feeder
- Dimir House Guard
- Viscera Seer
Can you share your decklist please? I haven't see one only for power 2

Gribbet

Toshi wrote:
2 years ago
Gribbet wrote:
2 years ago
My only concern with Clone Shell is when you end up with multiple dead flips on the bottom from it. I would love to run something like Madblind Mountain but the comes into play tapped hurts so bad.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

zKtu wrote:
2 years ago
Toshi wrote:
2 years ago
- Bogardan Dragonheart
- Carrion Feeder
- Dimir House Guard
- Viscera Seer
Can you share your decklist please? I haven't seen one only for power 2
It's not as combo heavy, but you can find it either in my bio or here: https://archidekt.com/decks/2282924

zKtu

Gribbet wrote:
2 years ago
Toshi wrote:
2 years ago
Gribbet wrote:
2 years ago
My only concern with Clone Shell is when you end up with multiple dead flips on the bottom from it. I would love to run something like Madblind Mountain but the comes into play tapped hurts so bad.
Gribbet, thats why the deck runs so many fetchlands as it serves a double purpose: getting the Badlands to fix your R or B required for Grenzo AND to shuffle your library when needed. Thats why I think it works quite well with Clone Shell.

I would stay away from tapped lands. Never saw Madblind before and it looks pretty cool but since we have fetchlands, I wouldn't include it

Gribbet

I'm poor, so I only have the one actual fetch. :) I have a couple of the Panorama's. I like them cause they make mama themselves.

zKtu

Gribbet wrote:
2 years ago
I'm poor, so I only have the one actual fetch. :) I have a couple of the Panorama's. I like them cause they make mama themselves.
ah! but I don't own any of the cards either :P I proxy everything...

Hitman

Post by Hitman » 2 years ago

Big fan of this Primer! I wanted to talk about some cards that I haven't really seen be mentioned yet.

First there's Godo, Bandit Warlord it allows us to immediately put either Thornbite Staff or Nim Deathmantle onto the battlefield which depending on the board state can secure us the win. With Godo we can also include Helm of the Host for another infinite combo. Sword of Feast and Famine and/or Sword of Hearth and Home are also some fun options which allow us when equipped to Godo to untap our lands multiple times which means more flips or to ramp and abuse our creatures ETB's. On their own, the swords can also be tutored and recurred by Goblin Engineer and can serve as a decent way to pump up Grenzo or give him protection from some relevant colors.

The next card is Cursed Mirror , once again it can be found and recurred by Goblin Engineer, it allows us to double any of our ETB's like by copying our Dockside Extortionist it can also be used to copy any interesting creature from our opponent's boards which can quickly turn the game in our favor. The fact that it also becomes a mana rock the next turn is a point in it's favor. There is also some fun shenanigans with Goblin Welder and a sac outlet that can help us abuse the copy effect. I decided to replace Rakdos Signet with the Mirror, since I feel it's a more fun and flexible option that can allow us to win the game.

Then there is Nadier, Agent of the Duskenel with the amount of creature tokens that we sac and treasure tokens that we use Nadier can quickly become huge, no matter how he is removed (ideally by sacrificing him to Soldevi Adnate or pumped up to Ruthless Technomancer ) he will be able to leave a big number of elf tokens on the field that can be used in a variety of ways. Worse case you sac him or he gets removed and only makes 3 tokens, which is still quite high and useful.

Tyrite Sanctum is a pretty cool land that comes in untapped. It allows us to pump up Grenzo if needed and can serve as a decent way to protect him from a boardwipe by making him indestructible . I personally replaced Homeward Path with this card since I never encountered someone stealing Grenzo in my meta, but had a couple times where I needed to boost him.

Reassembling Skeleton can be used to loop itself, with Ashnod's Altar and Pitiless Plunderer it gives us an infinite amount of mana.

Malakir Rebirth // Malakir Mire, is an instant as well as a tapped land, for one black mana it can be used as protection from Grenzo or can be used as a way to sac one of our creatures and immediately reactivate their ETB using it on Gray Merchant of Asphodel, Phyrexian Delver or Dockside Extortionist are great ways to possibly end the game.

Anyway, I'm curious to hear about what you guys think of these cards!

crowned

Post by crowned » 2 years ago

Really interested in how this one works out. This might loop non-infinitely with ETB recursion effects, giving us the chance to fill the GY until we find a better reanimation target.
Connives-mechanic: You Loot and add a +1/+1 to the creature that connived if you discard a nonland card.
Body Cleaner
2BB
Creature - Ogre Rogue
Deathtouch
Whenever another nontoken creature you control dies, Body Cleaner connives.
When Body Cleaner dies, return another target nonrogue creature card with equal or less power from your graveyard to the battlefield.
3/3 
Can be okay. Works as a discard outlet - generating value with our handcards we usually never play. Can also be played for its Blitz Cost to cheat in as we would normally do with Grenzo.
 Jaxis, the Troublemaker
3R
Legendary Creature - Human Warrior
R, T, Discard a card: Create a token that's a copy of another target creature you control. It gains haste and "When this creature dies, draw a card." Sacrifice it at the beginning of the next end step. Activate only as a sorcery.
Blitz 1R (If you cast this spell for its blits cost, it gains haste and "When this creature dies, draw a card." Sacrifice it at the beginning of the next end step.)   	
2/3 
The spoiler season is still going on, Rakdos is definitely a minor tribe that got a few cards in there. Unfortunately I haven't seen anything else worth mentioning, because it's either too slow, has higher power than 3 or doesn't synergize with our gameplan at all.

Note: We got a few more treasure- creators, making this a more and more pushed subtheme we could utilize. I do like the recent 2 CMC creatures that generate a token on ETB to use for ramp or cycling during grenzo activations.

Nightfire89

Post by Nightfire89 » 2 years ago

Impact Tremors on a stick! One less non-creature in the deck = one less dead pull

Hair Technician

Gribbet

Post by Gribbet » 1 year ago

Bronze Walrus seems good. It's not a myr but the scry is strong. Treasure Keeper could also get us a utility artifact, I'm not super hyped about possible stacking the bottom with lands. Patron of the Arts gets you a free flip with a sac outlet, I'm not sure if that's enough incentive, but could be good.

Hitman

Post by Hitman » 1 year ago

Mahadi, Emporium Master is probably the most promising card for Grenzo in the set, I can see it make a huge amount of treasure since it also counts tokens. Bronze Walrus will replace Iron Myr in my decklist, Scry 2, higher stats and tapping for any color is worth the one extra mana for me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”