void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

CCL December Signups/Round 1

"Dig Up the Past"

Thran Turbine, taken from EchoMTG, by Brian Snöddy and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Deep Magic Lore Month here in the CCL and what better way to start than one of the first significant chronological events in all (mortal) history in Dominia - the fall of the Thran and the beginning of Phyrexia.

Challenge
Design an artifact card with "Thran" or "Phyrexian" in its name.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
  • If you're not familiar with the topic of the round, please consult these articles on the Thran and Phyrexians, as well as searching a card database for cards with those words in their names.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Sunday, December 8th, 23:59 EST.

Special note: Due to this being a busy month for many people in terms of traveling, seeing family, working overtime, school/university finals, et cetera, a lot of deadlines have been extended. In this case I am explicitly planning to not begin the final round until the beginning of January!
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (December 1st–8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (December 9th–16th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due December 19th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (December 20th–23rd)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due December 26th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (December 27th–30th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due January 2nd)
  • Final (January, winner determined by public poll)
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

Thran Wardstone 4
Artifact (R)
As long as Thran Wardstone is untapped, other noncreature permanents you control have hexproof.
2, T: Another target noncreature permanent you control gains indestructible until end of turn.
The treasures within the wardstone were safe from everything but time.
Last edited by slimytrout 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

Note
Show
Hide
I'm sorry but the Thran and old Phyrexia predate my lore knowledge by a lot. I've started playing in original Ravnica and I can go back to original Mirrodin at most. Before that, I really know very little lore. So, speaking of Mirrodin, I will have to use new Phyrexians. Those I know well.
Phyrexian Whisperer BB
Artifact Creature — Horror (R)
XB, T, Pay X life: Draw X cards. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
"Why do you cry? Do you think you can't stand the pain? Don't reject it. Welcome it. The road to real power passes right through it."
—Sheoldred, Whispering One

2/2
Last edited by bravelion83 4 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | The June MCC is ongoing. Theme is OTJ. Most recent thread: Round 2. Design deadline on the 15th.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on June 4th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

RaikouRider

Post by RaikouRider » 4 years ago

Phyrexian Resuscitator 3
Artifact {M}
As Phyrexian Resuscitator enters the battlefield, sacrifice any number of creatures and/or discard any number of creature cards. It enters the battlefield with a number of charge counters on it equal to their total power.
If you would lose the game, instead your life total becomes equal to the number of charge counters on Phyrexian Resuscitator, then exile it.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 4 years ago

Phyrexian Supporter
Artifact — Rare
When Phyrexian Supporter enters the battlefield, you draw cards and you lose life equal to the number of beetle creatures you control.
: Phyrexian Supporter becomes a 4/4 black Beetle creature until end of turn.
"Let the pain begin!"
—Ol' Format, Beetle Captain
Last edited by marioguy3 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 4 years ago

Thran Workshop 6
Artifact (Rare)
T: Add CCC. Spend this mana only to cast artifact spells or activate abilities of artifacts.
6: You may put an artifact card from your hand or your graveyard onto the battlefield.
The long-forgotten workshops of the ancient Thrans are still functional, and they are still contain devastating relics that are never seen before.

Icarii

Post by Icarii » 4 years ago

Phyrexian Infiltrator 1UU
Creature - Human Rogue (U)
Infect
Phyrexian Infiltrator can't be blocked by creatures with a counter on them.
Each step towards compleation is a bow towards compliance.
2/3

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

Phyrexian Gearbreaker 3RR
Artifact — Vehicle (Uncommon)
Trample
When Phyrexian Gearbreaker deals combat damage to a player, destroy up to one target artifact that player controls.
1R, pay : Phyrexian Gearbreaker gets +2/+0 until end of turn.
Crew 3 (Tap any number of untapped creatures you control with total power 3 or greater: This Vehicle becomes an artifact creature until end of turn.)
"The Kaladeshi creations are elegant, but oh so brittle."
—Nyhel, Priest of Urabrask

5/4

Ryder

Post by Ryder » 4 years ago

Phyrexian Transfigurator 1
Artifact (U)
{gp}, T: Add one mana of any color.
"It is of utmost importance to harvest even the most insignificant products, as even those can prove useful in the grand process of compleation."
—Phyrexian progress notes
Last edited by Ryder 4 years ago, edited 4 times in total.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

Phyrexian Protostone 1
Artifact (U)
Imprint - T: Exile target land card from a graveyard.
T: For each land card exiled with Phyrexian Protostone, add C or one mana of any color that land could produce, then return each card exiled this way to its owner's graveyard.
"Infusing the stone with the raw power of the plane has been successful, but unleashing it has proven unstable."
-Jin-Gitaxias, powerstone research notes

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 4 years ago

Thran Medikit 3
Artifact (Uncommon)
3, T: You gain 2 life
6, T: Prevent the next 2 damage that would be dealt to each creature and planeswalker you control this turn
9, T: Return target creature or planesewalker card from your graveyard to the battlefield
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Less than 24 hours left to enter - please also make sure that your entry meets the challenge!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

barbecube

Post by barbecube » 4 years ago

Phyrexian Incubator 4
Artifact (R)
2, T: Tap target nonartifact creature and put a +1/+1 counter on it. It becomes an artifact in addition to its other types.
formerly willows

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

Thran Cornerstone 2
Artifact (r)
Activated abilities on lands you control cost 1 less to activate.
Sacrifice Thran Cornerstone: You may pkay an addutional land this turn if it's a nonbasic land.

Icarii

I would change mine to be an artifact creature, but it's now post deadline sooooooo whoops.

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor

Round is closed. Please critique the six contestants below you on this list, looping to the top as necessary.

slimytrout
bravelion83
RaikouRider
marioguy3
netn10
Icarii
Subject16
Ryder
Ink-Treader
kwanyeegor-ii
barbecube
Henlock

Next round coming soon.

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 4 years ago

Done.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
RaikouRider wrote:
4 years ago
Phyrexian Resuscitator 3
Artifact {M}
As Phyrexian Resuscitator enters the battlefield, sacrifice any number of creatures and/or discard any number of creature cards. It enters the battlefield with a number of charge counters on it equal to their total power.
If you would lose the game, instead your life total becomes equal to the number of charge counters on Phyrexian Resuscitator, then exile it.
I'm sure there are players who love this card, but to me it feels just fine. Nothing wrong, but also nothing too exciting. It works, it's flavorful, and I only have one very minor doubt about the wording (whether that "it" that enters with charge counters should be another mention of the card name). As I said, it's just fine. But that's on me, it's just not my own preferred style of card.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
marioguy3 wrote:
4 years ago
Phyrexian Supporter
Artifact — Rare
When Phyrexian Supporter enters the battlefield, you draw cards and you lose life equal to the number of beetle creatures you control.
: Phyrexian Supporter becomes a 4/4 black Beetle creature until end of turn.
"Let the pain begin!"
—Ol' Format, Beetle Captain
Oh, so it's a whole cycle at least. I was not a fan of the one in the MCC and I'm not a fan of this either. The humor is way too forced. It's the opposite of subtle, and I really don't like it. Also, a couple Quality mistakes (creature type not capitalized in the first ability, flavor text not italicized.) I'm sorry.
netn10
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
4 years ago
Thran Workshop 6
Artifact (Rare)
T: Add CCC. Spend this mana only to cast artifact spells or activate abilities of artifacts.
6: You may put an artifact card from your hand or your graveyard onto the battlefield.
The long-forgotten workshops of the ancient Thrans are still functional, and they are still contain devastating relics that are never seen before.
Ok, this is good. It costs a lot but it just needs to. I really like this card, and I don't have much to say about it, so I'll just move on.
Icarii
Show
Hide
Icarii wrote:
4 years ago
Phyrexian Infiltrator 1UU
Creature - Human Rogue (U)
Infect
Phyrexian Infiltrator can't be blocked by creatures with a counter on them.
Each step towards compleation is a bow towards compliance.
2/3
Oh, I didn't even realize this failed the challenge... Too bad. I really like how effective and elegant it is at the same time. Yes, if I could vote for it (aka if you managed to make it an artifact on time), I totally would.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Subject16 wrote:
4 years ago
Phyrexian Gearbreaker 3RR
Artifact — Vehicle (Uncommon)
Trample
When Phyrexian Gearbreaker deals combat damage to a player, destroy up to one target artifact that player controls.
1R, pay : Phyrexian Gearbreaker gets +2/+0 until end of turn.
Crew 3 (Tap any number of untapped creatures you control with total power 3 or greater: This Vehicle becomes an artifact creature until end of turn.)
"The Kaladeshi creations are elegant, but oh so brittle."
—Nyhel, Priest of Urabrask

5/4
Fine, it works, but really long and intricate. The abilities also feel disconnected from one another to me. In the activated ability, "pay" should be capitalized. I'll probably end up giving you the third place for lack of better options.
Ryder
Show
Hide
Ryder wrote:
4 years ago
Phyrexian Transfigurator 1
Artifact (U)
{gp}, T: Add one mana of any color.
"It is of utmost importance to harvest even the most insignificant products, as even those can prove useful in the grand process of compleation."
—Phyrexian progress notes
Now, this is the kind of card I like! Simple, elegant, but also tremendously effective. Awesome job! I have my clear first place, as I suspected. Congratulations.
Top 3

1st place: Ryder
2nd place: netn10
3rd place: Subject16
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | The June MCC is ongoing. Theme is OTJ. Most recent thread: Round 2. Design deadline on the 15th.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on June 4th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 4 years ago

barbecube: pretty much like ashnod's transmogrant right? could be used offensively and defensively, nice. feels phyrexian so its a neat design

henlock: cool johnny card and I like the sacrifice ability, feels like should be in a commander set

slimytrout: lots of protection, possibly does too much for the cost? really shuts down removal of noncreatures. it's a strong card, i'd def play it

bravelion: really simple card, almost boring but elegant and powerful. necro variant makes sense for phyrexia

raikourider: like it a lot except it wont protect you from anything but life loss and like door to nothingness... if your opponent mills you out or uses poison it doesnt help

marioguy3 - beetle is not a creature type and it makes no sense for it to be. so in real life this card almost does nothing. can't even evaluate it

1 henlock
2 barbecube
3 bravelion83
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Icarii

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Subject16: This is a cool cross plane combination, but I dont feel the phyrexian side shows. One too many things going on here as well. If this were simplified I'd like it more.

Ryder: Very elegant, very powerful. Probably too strong at 1 and access to any deck, but otherwise a solid design.

Ink-Treader: I like the idea, but I wish it where a rare that cost 2 or 3 to cast and didnt lose the lands. Its a lot of hoops for a storage "land."

kwanyeegor-ii: Abilities are ok, but really minor outside of the revive ability, Name undersells the flavor of reviving from the dead. Also seems a bit game-y calling it a medkit and not fantasy. Balance wise feels a little weak.

barbecube: Cool premise, but doesn't feel dark enough for phyrexia. Maybe give a keyword to creatures with +1/+1 counters. Also, doesnt feel rare.

Henlock: Very interesting premise. Some errors. Doesn't feel rare.
Top 3
1: Ryder
2: Henlock
3: Ink-Treader

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 4 years ago

bravelion83
Show
Hide
Phyrexian Whisperer: Quite overpowered. Phyrexian Arena on a 2-mana 2/2 would be busted enough, but this is substantially more powerful than that because it's a draw X. If you get to untap with this on turn 3, you're immediately getting a Mulldrifter's worth of value (with some life loss, but that's unlikely to matter so early in the game) and it keeps chugging from there.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Phyrexian Resuscitator: I like it. Very niche, but I'm sure people would find fun things to do with it.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
Phyrexian Supporter: Uh, what? It's a changeling tribal card for the phyrexians? And it's pretty weird to have a supporter that's not a creature.
netn10
Show
Hide
Thran Workshop: I like the basic idea, but not a fan of the fact that you can (and almost always will) tap it to pay for its own ability. Would like it a lot better if it it tapped for the second ability, but that ability only cost 3. The card would be functionally very similar (other than making it harder to totally go off, which I don't think would be a bad thing), but much more in line with how these cards usually work.
Icarii
Show
Hide
Phyrexian Infiltrator: I like the card, but sadly cannot T3 it. Probably would if it were an artifact though.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Phyrexian Gearbreaker: Huh, unusual cross-plane card. I like the thought, but it's a little weak and the mixed mana-and-energy ability is pretty inelegant.
T3
Show
Hide
1. RaikouRider
2. netn10
3. Subject16

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 4 years ago

slimytrout
Show
Hide
Compare and contrast Privileged Position. This seems fine, seeing as creatures are excluded from your wardstone's protections.
bravelion83
Show
Hide
Seems potent as repeatable and reasonable affordable draw X. Sorcery speed might keep it in line, but it'd be something to watch carefully.
RaikouRider
Show
Hide
Somewhat reminiscent of Eternity Vessel. I wonder if this could just be rare, considering what it takes to fuel it.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
That's quite a costly tookbox of a card. Honestly, it might need to be rare for Limited concerns, being an (albeit costly) repeatable to resurrect creatures and planeswalkers.
barbecube
Show
Hide
Nice versatile card. Maybe probably cost 1 less to activate (compare Icy Manipulator), but it seems fine.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Probably needs a "This effect can't reduce the amount of mana an ability costs to activate to less than one mana." rider like Training Grounds, if not because of existing lands than to at least future proof against later lands. Nonbasic only on the second ability is weird. I understand the flavor I think, but it's fairly unusual to have nonbasic 'love' so to speak.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Henlock
2. slimytrout
3. bravelion83

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 years ago

bravelion- 1his looks very Phyrexian. Repeatable card draw is insanely powerful. I would have kept it more bound to monoblack by forcing the X cost to be only payable in black mana.

RaikouRaider: This is very interesting. It gives an important discard outlet and some death triggers. The concept of benefiting from seemingly bad things is very Phyrexian.

slimytrout - I'm not sure about this. It shuts down a lot of interaction and it's accesible to any deck. Then, someone manages to pass through the hexproof, indestructible makes sure something will still stand.

Marioguy- This is a very interesting card for Changeling tribal. As those, using odd creature types hints its nature but may look confusing to some players. It doesn't look very powerful but self-animating permanents should not be underestimated.

netn10: Getting your fist artifact in costs a lot of mana. This fits very well with big colorless mana production.

Icarii: Sadly not fulfilling the challenge. It's an elegant design with good Phyrexian smell

1. RaikouRaider
2. netn10
3. bravelion
Last edited by Henlock 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

barbecube

Post by barbecube » 4 years ago

Crits
Show
Hide
Henlock: This has a lot of typos! I like the sacrifice ability a lot.

slimytrout: I feel like the first ability here is almost a blank, which is disappointing, and the 'simulated alpha artifact' text is awkward.

bravelion83: This is an interesting take on black draw.

RaikouRider: I'm kind of into this. It's very Phyrexian.

marioguy3: I definitely don't understand why this is Beetle tribal. Nb Beetle should probably be Insect.

netn10:Hm, I like the recursion aspect of the second ability. Cool.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. netn10
2. bravelion83
3. RaikouRider
formerly willows

Ryder

Post by Ryder » 4 years ago

Ink-Treader
Show
Hide
Mana accumulator effect I've personally tried to design many times. Exiling a land from your graveyard seems like a hoop big enough to have to jump through to do this. Good.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Despite seemingly weird costs the card is overall pretty solid.
barbecube
Show
Hide
I would expect an incubator to produce something, not transform it.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Strikes me an all-upside colorless ramp.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Neat idea that would work way better with a double-faced card.
bravelion83
Show
Hide
Exceptionally powerful as a draw engine. That on top of relatively efficient 2/2 for 2 seems a bit too much.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. Ink-Treader
2. kwanyeegor-ii
3. bravelion83

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 4 years ago

netn10 (Thran Workshop): It's a fairly powerful artifact that is costed appropriately. I would say that it's a cool and new card that's restrictions balance it out nicely.

Icarii: (Phyrexian Infiltrator): Simple card, but it wouldn't meet the criteria for this challenge. Also the name of a printed Magic card.

Subject16: (Phyrexian Gearbreaker): This looks quite wordy and slightly unelegant as an uncommon, but the cost to firebreathe this card is a bit much, especially when there already is the crew cost. Taking out the energy to activate the ability would make this card read easier.

Ryder: (Phyrexian Transfigurator): This card is highly powerful for one mana. I could see this card being printed at two mana. That said, it is creative and flexible, which is great.

Ink-Treader: (Phyrexian Protostone): Fascinating design and implementation of the imprint mechanic.

kwanyeegor-ii: (Thran Medkit): Seems a bit underwhelming at first; I would only ever really play this for the reanimation ability, which is very expensive (and rightly so). I do like the name though.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”