[THB] MTGArena Twitter Spoiler - Klothys, God of Destiny

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dusk » 4 years ago

Seems like a fun card, one of the more interesting RG legends imo
That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

Dunharrow
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dunharrow » 4 years ago

It's a fine card, but I find it is bad at graveyard hate and bad at ramping. I just don't see this being very relevant outside of grindy games.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

So Smiting Helix is Gruul now? Or is this Deathrite Shaman in disguise?

More seriously, Klothys, God of Destiny looks interesting. Grave hate is always relevant, although these colors don't traditionally have a lot of ways to fill an opponent's graveyard, so you may be eating your own graveyard most of the time. Once per turn at sorcery speed is pretty slow, but at least it is targeted. Like Deathrite Shaman, how consistently you can make use of the mana ability will depend heavily on whether fetchlands are in the format. Not coming down until turn three means it probably is too slow for Modern, but might be playable elsewhere. On the other hand, a 4/5 indestructible beater for 3 mana is pretty good, so may make the cut if there is a RG deck that wants a bit of extra reach / utility.

Looking at EDH, I don't think it really excites me - it's a fine utility creature, but a bit slow, and not a lot of build-around ability. It is hard to get rid of and produces mana though, so may lean into a ramp strategy like Radha, Heir to Keld. T1 mana dork, T2 Klothys, T3 5 drops seems like a solid (and consistent) curve. Unfortunately, requiring a bunch of fetchlands makes it a bit difficult to build on a budget.

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 4 years ago

Mookie wrote:
4 years ago
So Smiting Helix is Gruul now? Or is this Deathrite Shaman in disguise?
Klothys is not a monster, it's a GOD!

And her ability goes well with multiple combat spells common in red.

Green had traditionally care about graveyards in general as well as gaining life, red is (obviously) good at dealing damage. Both prone to quick mana.

theMarc
Oh god, it's all over my body.
Pronoun: he / him

Post by theMarc » 4 years ago

Mookie wrote:
4 years ago
So Smiting Helix is Gruul now?
Dune-Brood Smiting Helix when, WotC?

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

So has Klothys been around forever, and just kept a low profile during the events of Theros? Is she newly ascended to godhood? How many faces does she actually have? Are they female too? Is/was she some kind of satyr?
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Dusk
Dimir Mindmage

Post by Dusk » 4 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
So has Klothys been around forever, and just kept a low profile during the events of Theros? Is she newly ascended to godhood? How many faces does she actually have? Are they female too? Is/was she some kind of satyr?
She was trapped in the underworld (presumably by Heliod) which created the vacant spot in the pantheon for Xenogos to take for a short time. Now with the dead flooding out of the underworld Klothys is able to leave as well and will enact swift vengeance on those who escaped.
That shadowy wisp at the edge of your vision, there and gone before you notice.
Formerly Dusk707 on MtGSalvation

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”