Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 6 months ago

CCL November Signups/Round 1

"Reinforcements from the Tribe"

Rasputin, the Oneiromancer, taken from r/MagicTCG, by Matthew Stewart and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Characteristic Types here at the CCL, so every challenge will have something to do with the usually small, prevalent, humanoid creature types that are often used for each color.

Challenge
Design a nonblack card that creates Zombie tokens or a nonred card that creates Goblin tokens.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • "Nonblack" and "nonred" mean color here - these cards may have any color identity.
  • The tokens may be of any color as long as they have those creature types "printed" on them - tokens with changeling don't count.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Wednesday, November 8th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (November 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (November 9th-16th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due November 18th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (November 19th-24th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due November 26th)
  • Final (December, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

AnotherAlias
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by AnotherAlias » 6 months ago

Therica Koyle
Legendary Creature — Human Cleric (Uncommon)
Whenever you gain life, create a 2/2 white and black Zombie creature token. This ability triggers only once each turn.
After being dismissed from the Sanctuary of Kematian, an organisation of necromancers intent on resurrecting their god, Kematian, Therica decided to use her necromantic abilities for the greater good and just a little bit of revenge.
1/4
Last edited by AnotherAlias 6 months ago, edited 5 times in total.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 6 months ago

Izmundi Test Subjects 2U
Instant (Uncommon)
Create a 1/1 red Goblin creature token. When you do, copy up to one target spell that targets a creature. You may choose new targets for the copy.
Replicate 2R
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

CunningGabe

Post by CunningGabe » 6 months ago

Rambunctious Jury X1W
Enchantment (U)
When Rambunctious Jury enters the battlefield, create X 1/1 red Goblin creature tokens. Then exile target creature with mana value less than or equal to the number of Goblins you control until Rambunctious Jury leaves the battlefield.
Winner of August '22 DCC and September '22 NCED

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 6 months ago

Necromancer's Manual 4
Artifact (rare)
2, Discard a card, T: Target creature you control has "When this creature dies this turn, you may exile it. If you do create a token copy of that creature excepts is a 2/2 and a black Zombie in addition to its other types."

shullz

Post by shullz » 6 months ago

Greed's End, the Golden Grotto
Legendary Land (R)
Greed's End, the Golden Grotto enters the battlefield tapped.
{T}: Add {C}.
{T}: Each player creates a Treasure token.
Whenever an opponent sacrifices a Treasure token, create a 2/2 black Zombie token.

Come for the treasures, stay for the company.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 6 months ago

Unliving Ever After W
Sorcery (Mythic)
Exile a creature card from your graveyard and an opponent exiles a creature card from their graveyard. If both of you do, each of you creates a copy of the creature that player exiled, except it's a 2/2 white Zombie creature token with soulbound, decayed and "This creature loses decayed as long as it's soulbonded."

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 6 months ago

They Came from Below 3B
Kindred Enchantment — Goblin (R)
Fathomless Descent — At the beginning of combat on your turn, Amass Goblins X, where X is the number of permanent cards in your graveyard. Goblins you control gain haste until end of turn.
1B, Sacrifice a Goblin: Mill three cards, then you may return a Goblin card from your graveyard to your hand.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 6 months ago

Alright, after some delay this round is closed! Please critique all other contestants and provide a top 3. Next round to come by tomorrow!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

netn10

Post by netn10 » 6 months ago

AnotherAlias
Show
Hide
The temptation to go for mono-white mummy flavor is always too strong for me. However, you managed to avoid that. White and Black Zombie is interesting, and the flavor is new. This card would probably steamroll people in limited as an uncommon. The card could have worked as a mono-black card though, but the flavor makes sense.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
"Izmundi" is some deep cut to justify it making a goblin. I like it. Off-color replicate is lovely, and the effect makes sense as an Izzet effect. The goblin token could have been any other creature type.
CunningGabe
Show
Hide
Very neat take on the banishing effect. As a token maker or a banisher, it's solid, but together it's strong and interesting. The flavor of goblins being a rambunctious jury is fun.
Komadon
Show
Hide
This card screams mono black, but colorless can work too. I can't get enough Mimic Vat effects. The card has some wording issues, but it's also pretty clear what it does. In limited, I wouldn't want to face it.
shullz
Show
Hide
This card is probably broken. It's a treasure hoser that's hard to remove, accumulating treasures is stronger than just getting mana and you don't even need to give treasures to your opponents because it has the tapping for colorless fallback. The name and the flavor text are very good.
Subject16
Show
Hide
The goblins of Ixalan's underground are an untapped resource, flavor-wise, and your card is a tribute to them. That's my head canon anyways. Goblin self-milling is very cool, and the late game grind is fresh.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1st: Subject16
2nd: CunningGabe
3rd: Komandon

shullz

Post by shullz » 6 months ago

AnotherAlias
Show
Hide
I like the little backstory in the flavour text. It's what makes this card work.
Making the tokens white in addition to black without changing anything else about them feels a bit unnecessary to me.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Classic goblin shenanigans, always being the butt of other people's jokes or experiments.
I think redirecting the spell instead of copying it would have been more flavorful, but wouldn't have worked with the replicate. Using a goblin as a lightning rod is a great idea that should be implemented in more households around the multiverse.
The red replicate cost on a mono blue card was a clever way to make it Izzet while still satisfying the challenge.
CunningGabe
Show
Hide
I would like to see an illustration of this. The name and mechanics make me wonder if this jury would be a hilarious spectacle or just a really bad time.
Interesting approach to integrate goblins into a white card and a novel way to combine the typical white exile effects with tokens.
But to me this card feels like it would still need some red in there to really fit the flavor.
Komandon
Show
Hide
Artifacts are one of the easier ways to work around possible color pie breaks. A book makes sense as a colorless card.
The wording of the tap ability probably needs some work, because as it is the creature would never lose this ability. I think the "this turn" or rather "until end of turn" part would need to be outside of the ability description.
netn10
Show
Hide
Feels like Romeo and Juliet part 2. Just because the lovers are dead, romance isn't.
Very flavorful and mechanically these synchronized effects are something typically white, so it just works great.
Subject16
Show
Hide
Cue the goblin slayer flashbacks...
Instead of the silly side of goblins like other entries, you went into their scary side.
Flavor and the graveyard mechanics fit together nicely.
But maybe using only creatures in your graveyard instead of all permanents would have made more sense.
I also think giving all your goblins haste is pushing the card too much from the black into the red part of the color pie. This wouldn't have been necessary to make the card work and doesn't really synergize with an amass effect.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1st: netn10
2nd: kwanyeegor-ii
3rd: CunningGabe

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 6 months ago

top 3
Show
Hide
1 cunninggame
2 netn10
3 shullz
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 5 months ago

Bump and a critique reminder and extension. Round 1 and round 2 critiques will be due tomorrow.

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 5 months ago

Just a top 3:
3rd: CunningGabe
2nd: Subject16
1st: netn10

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”