Theft Deck: Prosper or Rashmi/Ragavan?

Cyberium
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cyberium » 7 months ago

I have a Prosper, Tome-Bound/Dragon theft deck at the moment, and I'm eyeing at Rashmi and Ragavan. They both generate a lot of token resources (hence have cards like Reckless Fireweaver) and they both do most of their theft through red.

Everyone knows how powerful Prosper is, I'm just curious as to what people think about him compare to PaR in terms of "Theft" theme. Does the addition of blue and green in PaR outweighs Propser's black?

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 7 months ago

R&R seems way worse imho. Black has a lot of cool theft cards these days and Prosper is just so much better in the CZ in value terms. To my knowledge, red and blue have great theft cards but green offers damn near nothing. You're also not pigeonholed into playing an artifact subtheme with Prosper as you may find yourself with R&R.

I say stay the course.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 7 months ago

Cyberium wrote:
7 months ago
I have a Prosper, Tome-Bound/Dragon theft deck at the moment, and I'm eyeing at Rashmi and Ragavan. They both generate a lot of token resources (hence have cards like Reckless Fireweaver) and they both do most of their theft through red.

Everyone knows how powerful Prosper is, I'm just curious as to what people think about him compare to PaR in terms of "Theft" theme. Does the addition of blue and green in PaR outweighs Propser's black?
What are you trying to steal? Creatures? Other permanents? Spells?

If creatures, I think there are much better options than either of those two. Marchesa, the Black Rose, Captain N'ghathrod, or Yasova Dragonclaw, among others.

For general theft, there's Sen Triplets and Xanathar, Guild Kingpin.

Moxnix

Post by Moxnix » 7 months ago

They both seem really fun as a standalone card prosper is stronger and ha some nutty lines even a great cedh list. I would also build the other though it looks really fun. Could just be a rug shell with heavy artficat ramp instead of dorks or land ramp and play standard Stealy seedborne counterspell shell type stuff. I think both seem pretty good. I would want to run prosper more like combo and r+R more as a value engine control type deck. I like the idea of some oldschool seedborn bribery treachery type stuff I feel like I would have a hard time not making propser just feel like storm combo as I tuned it.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 7 months ago

I only goldfished her and never built her, and maybe Lantern Control was the wrong archetype for them, but Rashmi and Ragavan really underwhelmed me. Only triggering on the first spell you cast on each of your turns is a huge limitation. "Target opponent" instead of "each opponent" or better "each player" is an even more huge limitation. Having to cast the card that turn or not at all - is a huge limitation. Lands being totally useless hits - a huge limitation. Just a classic example of a really overdesigned card with too many restrictions to make a real go of it.

That being said, if you want theft.dec, I think Blue is a critical ingredient - all the best theft effects in the game are blue. And while I think you'll be disappointed at how often you don't get to steal anything with Rashmi and Ragavan, even stealing one card is more than Prosper is ever going to steal from his opponents on his own power.

Vertierer
Kabbalisten-Schatzmeister

Post by Vertierer » 7 months ago

If you want to stay in the RUG colors, you could play Pako and Haldan.
The mills of god grind slowly

Cyberium

Vertierer wrote:
7 months ago
I used to play P and H, though the reason I mentioned Prosper and R/R was because of the artifact sub theme, which P/H don't have affinity with.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Cyberium wrote:
7 months ago
Vertierer wrote:
7 months ago
I used to play P and H, though the reason I mentioned Prosper and R/R was because of the artifact sub theme, which P/H don't have affinity with.
@pokken has a Man&Dog artifacts list if you're interested in that angle

Cyberium

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
7 months ago
Cyberium wrote:
7 months ago
Vertierer wrote:
7 months ago
Enlighten me! :D

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Cyberium wrote:
7 months ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
7 months ago
Cyberium wrote:
7 months ago

Enlighten me! :D
viewtopic.php?t=40909

TessaMTG
Arbiter of +1/+1 Counters
Pronoun: she / her

Post by TessaMTG » 6 months ago

Rashmi and Ragavan is better for a theft deck in my opinion, since you can run Inevitable Betrayal.
I love Tchotchke Elemental. And as always: wear your seatbelt, tear up your friend's mill deck, and buh-bye. (Please don't actually tear up your friend's mill deck, no matter how annoying it is.)

Check out the LGBTAPQ+ People Place!
My Custom Planeswalkers
Custom Horizons 1
Good Kid (really good indie rock band also they play MTG)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”