The Community Deck Build Project v9.0

toctheyounger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 6 months ago

Sorry for the wait, team, weekends are full on. 2 weeks out from baby number 2 and he could be with us any moment. Anyway, let's get Absent over the line, the card is pretty underrated.

If my nomination is still on the table (fine if it's not given my delay), I'd like to nominate Swift Reconfiguration. Hear me out, it is a weird one, I know. What I'm thinking is in a combat heavy meta it takes at least 2 creatures out of combat each turn; the creature you're Hondafying, or the 5+ it takes to crew the Honda. It's a little harder to deal with too, being an enchantment, it is one of the harder permanent types to remove.

In terms of utility for us, the creature doesn't lose passive abilities, so we do have the angle of being able to turn, say, Captain Lannery Storm or any of our other pieces into a car to buff its stats for surviving combat, or surviving removal.

It's a weird angle to shoot, I know, but it could be helpful. I was running out of options for removal at the 1-2 CMC slots. I was thinking Crackling Doom or Soul Shatter, but, y'know.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 6 months ago

I'd yay unexpectedly absent and boros charm, I think!

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 6 months ago

Wait, let's talk about swift reconfig. I like some aura based removal but go over again how it's a buff for us? I'm not following. In terms of removal I like that one can't just equip a SoWaP on it to make it fall off and crew 5 is nigh impossible to get it moving. It's like buying a Pontiac Aztec but it's got a blown head gasket.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

toctheyounger

3drinks wrote:
6 months ago
Wait, let's talk about swift reconfig. I like some aura based removal but go over again how it's a buff for us? I'm not following. In terms of removal I like that one can't just equip a SoWaP on it to make it fall off and crew 5 is nigh impossible to get it moving. It's like buying a Pontiac Aztec but it's got a blown head gasket.
Like I say it's a bit of an angle shoot, but we can enchant our own stuff to make it a vehicle with 5/5 with all other passive abilities intact. That helps us if we need something to survive combat and we know it won't, or if we're facing creature removal, Swift will remove the relevant card type. It's not much, but it's not nothing. I definitely think the emphasis is on powering down opposing threats though, and making the red zone a bit more favorable for us.

gsgfdf

Post by gsgfdf » 6 months ago

Yay on Unexpectedly Absent.
Nay on Boros Charm,as I said I am not a fan of the effect, Flawless Maneuver gets a pass because it's free.
Nay on Swift Reconfiguration, I think it's a bit niche.

For my nomination I present Stone of Erech. It shuts down the decks that use the grave for value while still stopping combo attempts.

MrBloo

Post by MrBloo » 6 months ago

As much as I like Stone of Erech and am very curious to finally see it in action, we're down to the last few slots and with our already stuffed anti-yard effects, I feel the slot could go to something better to finish the 100. I'd nay Stone of Erech on the condition that we can bring it back up if we don't find something better in the last slot.

Nay on Swift Recon. I've played with it in the past and it hasn't delivered as much as I wanted it to. I see the appeal of powering down threats but in most cases it'll only affect one creature since usually they won't ever spend the extra power to crew since the crew cost is so high, and it's an aura as well so the potential blowout isn't just on their side but also ours. The fact that it also doesn't hit abilities is what didn't sell it for me. If it did something similar to Darksteel Mutation or Kenrith's Transformation I'd be more inclined to agree on the pick.

Moxnix

Post by Moxnix » 6 months ago

yay absent
yay stone
nay swift

3drinks

We're near the finish line with three slots left to fill. I'll yay on Boros Charm and Stone of Erech, while I nay on Swift Reconfig.

I'm just going to put one person on the clock as we may have enough to fill the final slots on the docket as is. @aliciaofthevast is the last one to close out this cycle of picks, so we'll see how this goes.

Unexpectedly Absent yay - 5 nay - 0
Boros Charm yay - 2 nay - 1
Swift Reconfiguration yay - 0 nay - 3
Stone of Erech yay - 2 nay - 1
toctheyounger wrote:
6 months ago
3drinks wrote:
6 months ago
Like I say it's a bit of an angle shoot, but we can enchant our own stuff to make it a vehicle with 5/5 with all other passive abilities intact. That helps us if we need something to survive combat and we know it won't, or if we're facing creature removal, Swift will remove the relevant card type. It's not much, but it's not nothing. I definitely think the emphasis is on powering down opposing threats though, and making the red zone a bit more favorable for us.
How does it make the creature a 5/5? It retains it's original p/t when it's crewed. I think you'd have been better served by any of, say, a Gelid Shackles, Ossification, or Darksteel Mutation. I think this is good, but not good enough within the context of this deck's base right now. I bet it's stronger in a WG deck though.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

Ohhh, it all falls on me huh? Well I'm gonna go with Dauthi Voidwalker then. Having just watched it blank half of someone's hand cough cough, it's really good. Seeing stone of erech come up reminded me 🙃

Which I'll also yay, btw!

Moxnix

Post by Moxnix » 6 months ago

Yea dauthi

3drinks

I'll yay that Dauthi. C'mon guys, we got three slots left to fill with three on the docket, all of which potentially a single vote away.

Boros Charm yay - 2 nay - 1
Stone of Erech yay - 2 nay - 1
Dauthi Voidwalker yay - 2 nay - 0
aliciaofthevast wrote:
6 months ago
Having just watched it blank half of someone's hand cough cough, it's really good.
Oooohhhh, you got jokes, girl. Stupid sexy feign death effects being bad into on board dauthis :fuming:

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

toctheyounger

I'll seal the deal here - yea on all 3.

We got ourselves a list, team.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent

Ooh! How excited is everyone to play this?! Who would play this as is?!
aliciaofthevast wrote:
6 months ago
Having just watched it blank half of someone's hand cough cough, it's really good.
Oooohhhh, you got jokes, girl. Stupid sexy feign death effects being bad into on board dauthis :fuming:
[/quote]

luv you buddy ❤️

toctheyounger

aliciaofthevast wrote:
6 months ago
Ooh! How excited is everyone to play this?! Who would play this as is?!
Pretty keen to jump on moxfield and goldfish it tbh. List looks like a blast.

3drinks

List is filled. Overall deck price came in at $284.63. What do we think? Do we like what we have cobbled together?

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

MrBloo

With only 35 lands and only 1 >= 2 mv rock in a deck that can't draw cards that well, the deck feels like it lives or dies by the mulligan. I look forward to hearing from everyone else about their goldfishing/testing experiences.

I do like the fact that there are many T1/T2 plays available to us but not really anything we can justify curving into Isshin for, not that we always want to of course.

I just personally am on the more lands than fewer lands boat when it comes to deckbuilding. My Isshin deck runs 37 with a handful of rocks but I have a heavier top end so it's apples and oranges, but it does make mulligans easier.

toctheyounger

MrBloo wrote:
6 months ago
With only 35 lands and only 1 >= 2 mv rock in a deck that can't draw cards that well, the deck feels like it lives or dies by the mulligan.
I get the same vibe, for sure. I think there's probably some min/maxing we could do to make things hum a bit more, but in general I like the direction it's gone.

Skyhunter Strike Force is kind of a monster. If it sticks with Isshin, it's gonna rain hellfire. I goldfished a pretty good scenario where I curved into Bloodlust Inciter, Selfless Spirit, Strike Force, Isshin, and topdecked Sneak Attack to drop Aurelia, the Warleader in. Obviously it's a bit of a dream scenario, draws are dependent, but most of this came from the opening 7.

As an observation, I feel like we could learn more into control, too. This really seems like a one/two spell per turn deck; we're not likely to hold up mana over the turn cycle. Variations on Deafening Silence would fit really nice.

MrBloo

Another thing I'd like to add just from experience with the commander is that since we are so attack-happy, we are usually soft to being attacked ourselves since usually our attack trigger creatures aren't the best at blocking and our best chance is either finding a Recon or make so many tokens to chump whatever gets sent back our way. We also don't really do well against evasion. It's real detrimental to our plan to also have to worry about other combat-based opponents when we already have to rush down the control player because we usually don't recover from sweepers that well. The deck does its best when it curves out and snowball the board early so you can afford to hold threats back in your hand, have protection backup, and present a threatening board at the same time. It's definitely the scenario I've won the most in.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”