Universe Beyond - Mortal Kombat set or cycle.

Komandon
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Komandon » 8 months ago

I hope this is the right area to post.

I was a while a go working on an idea of universe beyond secret lair cards for Mortal Kombat using the original characters in the first game. As well as ability names as they did in Street Fighter and the D&D sets.

I think I should if I can just expand to if it was say EDH decks but only the new card so not 100 for each. But that isn't the question. But if you have a preference of what you think I should do, 8 cards verse 4 EDH desk I'd appreciate the feedback.

My question is this. Do you think I should focus on only two - three moves on a character such as Scorpions spear throw or an idea I wanted to add to make them different with a new mechanic called Fatality? It's a triggers ability based on the card Mortal Combat which instead of a Wincon its a combat effect.

Example. For Johnny cage I have.
Fatality, "And The Winner Is...:" — Whenever Johnny Cage deals combat damage to a player, creature that many treasure tokens. (Fatality only is triggered if the total number of creatures in all graveyards equal twenty or more.)

Didn't want it to be like City's Blessing that won't go away. I wanted IoT give the ability for players to exile their graveyard or take self mill, aristocratic, and pod into account when facing these cards.

The problem I have is the text is too long IMO when I add even just one move name ability and an existing keyword/evergreen ability. I don't know if 20 or even 30 creatures in all the graveyards is even enough. Another idea was a reverse newer threshold based on the defending player based on the mana values of the cards that player has. Such as in SNC but not for you graveyard.

So what do you think?

*Note. I apologize for the length and likely confusion of how this post is written. I have difficult with commutation.*

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 8 months ago

So with the nature of fighting games, the easiest way to port them to M:tG is with a Universes Beyond Secret Lair-like grouping of cards. While Mortal Kombat has multiple different locales, species, etc. in its backstory, fighting games necessarily focus on a couple dozen individual named characters, meaning anything where you can make just legendary creatures is ideal.

I like the idea of fatality as a consistent mechanic, and there's no rule saying you can't combine an ability word with a flavor word. However, twenty creature cards among graveyards is such a colossal number that it's hard to imagine reaching it in most game situations - referencing Mortal Combat is clever and all, but the reason that card wins the game is that generally you have to build a whole deck around doing so. I think five creature cards in 'yards is sufficient to turn on an otherwise-pushed saboteur trigger. With that in mind, here's how I might do it:

Fatality: Here's Johnny! - Whenever Johnny Cage, Hollywood Egotist deals combat damage to a player, if there are five or more creature cards among all graveyards, create that many Treasure tokens.

Fatality: Violent Delights - Whenever Mileena, Flesh Pits Enforcer deals combat damage to a player, if there are five or more creature cards among all graveyards, that player discards that many cards. You gain 2 life for each card discarded this way.

Beyond fatalities, you can certainly use unrelated flavor words to communicate the Magic-ized versions of the characters' signature moves, just as was done in the Street Fighter Secret Lair.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Set Creation”