First Sliver Turbo Cascade - "The Deck My Meta Only Lets Me Play Once a Year"

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

tl;dr: cast The First Sliver, then flip the rest of the deck onto the table.

I brewed Averna cascade a while ago, but a bunch of new cascade and cascade-like cards have been printed in the last few years. Unexpected Results and Tibalt's Trickery are two cards that you can hit at the end of a cascade chain and restart with a more expensive spell. Meanwhile, cards like Apex Devastator and Brilliant Ultimatum let you cast multiple spells and grow the stack further.

Notably, this deck can not play any non-cascade cards with mana value four or less, to guarantee that Unexpected Results or Tibalt's Trickery will always be hit. The one exception is a single Buried Alive (fetching Kozilek, Butcher of Truth or Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre) to shuffle those cards back into the deck.

Is this deck good? Probably not. Will your opponents ask you turn burn it after your an hour-long turn? Seems plausible.
Turbo Cascade

Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Also: I am legally required to point out what day this deck was posted on.
Last edited by Mookie 2 days ago, edited 3 times in total.

Tags:

Mookie

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

Proxied this in paper and did a few goldfish games.

G1: T5 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth, but not much in the following turns.
G2: T4 The First SliverAvatar of Growth, T5 Maelstrom Wanderer → 9 other spells, T6 One with the MultiverseApex DevastatorNexus of Fate.

So yeah, on a scale from 'fair and balanced' to 'as Richard Garfield intended', I would rate this a 7.

edit: as an update, I was able get in three games with this deck.
G1: I whiffed on a Kathari Remnant on T4 (hit Buried Alive), but T5 I cascaded into Tibalt's Trickery and hit Emergent Ultimatum for the win (fetching Omniscience, Mind's Desire, and Apex Altisaur).
G2: I ramped into T4 The First Sliver and was in a position to win... if not for my opponent's The Beamtown BulliesInverter of Truth. I'm blaming that game on play vs draw luck.
G3: Cascaded The First Sliver into Tibalt's Trickery and hit Mind's Desire. I didn't technically hit anything that was going to win the game, but my opponents conceded with four more cascade triggers on the stack or in exile and Arcane Adaptation on the battlefield, so... after the hour so it would take to resolve the stack, I assume I would win, but it's hard to say for sure.

One person I spoke to mentioned Wheel of Sun and Moon as a potential inclusion - it would remove the requirement for Buried Alive as a way to shuffle Tibalt's Trickery back into the deck, which would in turn make the deck significantly more consistent. Unfortunately, it would also add a 50% fail rate for the situation where Trickery is cast before Wheel is out and can't be shuffled in... plus the cascade chain would require a second spell to be cast the following turn after getting Wheel out. It probably would be a net downgrade, but worth consideration.

...anyway, I've taken the deck apart for now, but I might pull it out again next year.

Mookie

Post by Mookie » 9 months ago

Apparently this is an actual Legacy deck now called 'Mississippi River' // Creative Technique. I'll note that it is using Saprazzan Skerry and other fast mana lands to ramp into Creative Technique / Throes of ChaosTibalt's Trickery on turn 3/2, which I had in the Averna, the Chaos Bloom build but dropped in this 5C version.

...I don't necessarily think it's a good Legacy deck, but it is fun to see in action.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”