The Great Gadgets of EDH - MTG Arts, Crafts, and Accessories

cheonice
Death to Chronos.
Pronoun: he / him

Post by cheonice » 9 months ago

Once in a Blue Moon my artsy self takes over and I get into crafting. Over the years I designed a few gadgets for my various EDH decks. Unnecessary but fun little items to bring joy to the table - or at least to my own heart.

Do you craft anything for your games? Do you have a special collection of beautiful dice to share? Maybe you even build a figurine resembling your favourite commander? Or painted a deck box in the most beautiful colours? Let this thread be a place to appreciate all the small arts and crafts for our favourite hobby!

Command Zone
Show
Hide
Inspired by the various builds you can find on Etsy I tried to do one myself. It's not the fanciest, but I'm quite happy with it.
20230801_204020.jpg
Food/Treasure/Clue Tokens
Show
Hide
In various games I couldn't find the right marker to count the various non-creature tokens so I used some old Lego!
20230801_203337.jpg
Monarch Token
Show
Hide
MTG's tokens never felt right for the Queen, long may she reign.
20230801_203434.jpg
Blink and Flicker Markers
Show
Hide
My Ephara deck blinks and flickers the hell out of variuos permanents. To keep track of which is on the battliefield and which is blinked out, I created some tokens (with the image of the unfortunately discontinued webcomic "Lotus Cobra is Evil").
20230801_204156.jpg
Last edited by cheonice 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 9 months ago

Yoooooo, that Lego food/treasure/clue token tracker is wicked! I've never made MtG encoutremont before (I draw on my BCW boxes sometimes), but this is one hell of an inspiration to try!
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 9 months ago

Thanks a lot! I'm quite happy with the result.
Please, share your creation, if inspiration hits you! :love:

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 4 months ago

I did an overhaul of my tracker. Now it can not only track treasures, clues, and food but all kinds of stuff like enchantments (for Yenna, Redtooth Regent), spells (for Ghyrson Starn, Kelermorph), or mana (for Selvala, Explorer Returned and (Braids, Arisen Nightmare).

Next up: a throne for my Queen Marchesa Monarch token and something to track tokens in Jinnie Fay, Jetmir's Second!
20231219_174730.jpg
20231219_174741.jpg

Treamayne
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Treamayne » 4 months ago

cheonice wrote:
9 months ago
Do you craft anything for your games?
I make my own tokens. I create them in MSE2 and print them on Avery Business card stock, so they are half-size of regular cards.
Sometimes it's official art, sometimes pop-culture art references. Examples:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Token_Example.jpg
Token_Example_PC.jpg
V/R

Treamayne

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Treamayne wrote:
4 months ago
cheonice wrote:
9 months ago
Do you craft anything for your games?
I make my own tokens. I create them in MSE2 and print them on Avery Business card stock, so they are half-size of regular cards.
Sometimes it's official art, sometimes pop-culture art references. Examples:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Token_Example.jpg
Token_Example_PC.jpg
They look really neat. I like the idea of half-sized tokens, it kinda fits the theme of them being something other than regular creatures. Thanks for sharing! I might adapt that for my Battle Box.

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 4 months ago

cheonice wrote:
4 months ago
They look really neat. I like the idea of half-sized tokens, it kinda fits the theme of them being something other than regular creatures. Thanks for sharing! I might adapt that for my Battle Box.
I had the best results with Avery 8471. There are templates that help with alignment (printers vary though) and with some tweaking you can get them to print double-sided (I have my saprolings and beasts like that since the decks have no crossover, so the same 20 tokens work for two decks).
V/R

Treamayne

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 months ago

That Jack Nicholson wolf one is an awesome deep cut. What an odd movie.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 4 months ago

Not exactly crafted but our group plays a lot of Conspiracy and we have an old beat up fabric crown that the monarch must wear at all times. It started out as a Burger King crown but was eventually upgraded by one of the player's daughters. I'll take a picture if we get together next week.

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Lifeless wrote:
4 months ago
Not exactly crafted but our group plays a lot of Conspiracy and we have an old beat up fabric crown that the monarch must wear at all times. It started out as a Burger King crown but was eventually upgraded by one of the player's daughters. I'll take a picture if we get together next week.
Sounds fabulous! Our resident Marchesa player is looking for a Burger King crown for years!

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 4 months ago

I guess I'm not really into doing my own arts and crafts but I do like to buy handmade or collector type accessories. I have a pretty extensive collection of playmats. I got a bunch of signed Seb Mckinnon mats during the last kickstarter and gave 4 away to my friends for christmas. Here's one of the mats, with my resin dice set and ebony box from Wyrmwood's kickstarter:
SPOILER
Show
Hide

And most recently I got this deck box for Niv from the Professors kickstarter with Gamegenic. I really like it.

I don't have a whole lot more stuff other than the playmat collection, but I plan to get some more deckboxes and dice sets to go with each of my decks.

There some beautiful gemstone dice sets available: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1369005144 ... d?ref=cart

One of my deams is to get some pieces from Aeron Cain. He has some really need hardwood boxes: https://www.aaroncaincustomboxes.com/co ... ll-spartan

I guess, the only thing I really do creatively is design my own cards. Here are a couple:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 3 months ago

My newest addition: A card to count several things. I'm gonny print a bunch and hand them to my friends and opponents.
MTG-Marker 88x63_2.jpg

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 3 months ago

I'm quite happy with the result <3
SPOILER
Show
Hide
20240208_155402.jpg
SPOILER
Show