void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 10 months ago

CCL August Signups/Round 1

"Apprentice Mage"

Wandering Mage, taken from Tumblr, by Pete Venters and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Groups and Batches Month here at the CCL, where we'll focus on sets of things in Magic that make a natural grouping as well as specific batching themes, which care about things being any one out of a set.

Challenge
Design a nonlegendary creature card that is a Human Cleric, Human Wizard, Human Warlock, Human Shaman, or Human Druid.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • The class types in this list are each color's "spellcaster" types.
  • Your card may have any other creature types as long as it has both Human and one of the listed types (on its front face if it's a DFC).
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Tuesday, August 8th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (August 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (August 9th-16th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due August 18th)
  • Top 6 — Open to top 6 finishers (August 19th-22nd)
  • Top 6 Critiques (Due August 24th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (August 25th-28th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due August 30th)
  • Final (September, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Bump!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Henlock
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Henlock » 10 months ago

Consecrator of Relics 1w
Creature - Human Cleric (r)
Flash
Ward 3
Artifacts and Enchantments are Legendary.
1/3

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 10 months ago

Fargone Farseer
Creature - Human Warlock (R)
When Fargone Farseer enters the battlefield, target opponent reveals their hand.
: Exile target nonland revealed card in any player's hand or library. You may cast that spell for as long as it remains exiled, and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any color to cast that spell.
"The stars, oh the stars! I hear them whispering to me. Won't you listen to them too?"
1/3

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Less than 24 hours remain!

Caspernicus

Post by Caspernicus » 10 months ago

Fireweaving Anarchist 1RR
Creature - Human Shaman (U)
: Fireweaving Anarchist deals 3 damage divided as you choose among up to two targets. If a creature dies this way, its controller adds RR.
"May Toralf judge them when they, too, are consumed in flames!"
3/2
Commanders: Zaffai, Thunder Conductor, Denethor, Ruling Steward
Pet Cards: Etali, Primal Storm, Creative Technique
When doubt does stride with iron-laden foot
and chooses take my pride in my own self,
in ragged chains drag I to hell from wealth
and broken, wear’ly slog through ashen soot.
Doubt’s trumpet sounds, that full religious toot
which howls in pompous, mocking, vibrant health
as I run far away, in fear 'f myself,
and chase away the day I end kaput.
But even in the hand of vill’nous doubt,
I know I’ll rise above in victory.
And even when I’m hit with doubter’s clout,
I have no doubt I’ll see that sun-kissed sea.
For even when some faith in me I lack,
I know — in time — I can my doubt attack.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 10 months ago

Nightscape Flesh-Twister X1B
Creature - Human Warlock (Rare)
Spend only black mana on X.
Kicker - U and/or R
Flash
When Nightscape Flesh-Twister enters the battlefield, creatures you don't control gets -X/-0 until end of turn. Then, for each time Nightscape Flesh-Twister was kicked, switch target creature's power and toughness until end of turn.
1/3

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Going to extend this round until 23:59 Eastern tomorrow (August 10th) to give more people the chance to participate.

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 10 months ago

Luxomanacer 1W
Creature - Human Wizard (uncommon)
Whenever one or more permanents are exiled, draw a card. This ability only triggers once per turn.
1/2

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 10 months ago

Fleshbrand Firekeeper 1RG
Creature - Human Shaman (R)
1G, T, Sacrifice another creature: Fleshbrand Firekeeper deals damage equal to its power to target creature you don't control.
1R, T, Sacrifice another creature: Fleshbrand Firekeeper deals damage equal to the sacrificed creature's power to target opponent.
2/3
Last edited by slimytrout 10 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

atlanticbomber

Post by atlanticbomber » 10 months ago

Vengeful Healer 2WB`
Creature - Human Cleric (R)
2, T: Each player gains 2 life. Put a vengeance counter on Vengeful Healer
When Vengeful Healer dies, put a a number of -1/-1 counters on target creature equal to the number of vengeance counters on Vengeful Healer. When that creature dies this turn, its controller gets a poison counter.
2/2

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 10 months ago

Druid of the Lupine Call 4G
Creature - Human Druid (Uncommon)
When Druid of the Lupine Call enters the battlefield, create a 2/2 green Wolf creature token, draw a card, and you may play an additional land this turn. It becomes night.
T: Add one mana of any color.
1/4
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And that will do it for this round! Please critique all the other contestants and create an ordered top 3. Round 2 will be up soon.

We'll cut to a top 6 this month followed by a top 4 given the participation level.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 9 months ago

crits
Show
Hide
Henlock wrote:
10 months ago
Consecrator of Relics 1w
Flash
Ward 3
1/3
This is a cool hate bear but the flavor is both appropriate and not appropriate lol... you would think a consectrator would protect artifacts and enchantments but this removes them
AnotherAlias wrote:
10 months ago
Fargone Farseer
When Fargone Farseer enters the battlefield, target opponent reveals their hand.
: Exile target nonland revealed card in any player's hand or library. You may cast that spell for as long as it remains exiled, and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any color to cast that spell.
"The stars, oh the stars! I hear them whispering to me. Won't you listen to them too?"
1/3
This is really interesting design space but im not sure the abilities actually work together. Maybe that first ability has to say "reveals until end of turn"
Caspernicus wrote:
10 months ago
: Fireweaving Anarchist deals 3 damage divided as you choose among up to two targets. If a creature dies this way, its controller adds RR.
3/2
I love this tension between removal and turning your own creatures into mana and the kaldheim flavor also but honestly this is too strong as a player/planeswalker damage pinger
netn10 wrote:
10 months ago
Kicker - U and/or R
Flash
When Nightscape Flesh-Twister enters the battlefield, creatures you don't control gets -X/-0 until end of turn. Then, for each time Nightscape Flesh-Twister was kicked, switch target creature's power and toughness until end of turn.
1/3
Nice combination of effects, -X/-0 and switch p/t are effective together and this is a good flexible design
Komandon wrote:
10 months ago
Luxomanacer 1W
Creature - Human Wizard (uncommon)
Whenever one or more permanents are exiled, draw a card. This ability only triggers once per turn.
1/2
This feels like Azorius Aethermage but for exile... not a bad thing but an idea that has somewht been done before
slimytrout wrote:
10 months ago
1G, T, Sacrifice another creature: Fleshbrand Firekeeper deals damage equal to its power to target creature you don't control.
1R, T, Sacrifice another creature: Fleshbrand Firekeeper deals damage equal to the sacrificed creature's power to target opponent.
2/3
I like the mirrored effects and this feels totally lik a gruul shaman... I kind of wish the p/t are reversed lol
atlanticbomber wrote:
10 months ago
Vengeful Healer 2WB`
When Vengeful Healer dies, put a a number of -1/-1 counters on target creature equal to the number of vengeance counters on Vengeful Healer. When that creature dies this turn, its controller gets a poison counter.
2/2
Super interesting idea but not that strong for the cost. It honestly could be WB and only allow the controller to gain life and itd be fine. I also don't really get why it adds a poison counter, like the -1/-1 counters already have poison flavor
t3
Show
Hide
1 slimytrout
2 anotheralias
3 netn10
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 9 months ago

Henlock wrote:
10 months ago
Consecrator of Relics 1w
Flash
Ward 3
1/3
Nice, simple and to the point. Good for token artifact hate too. One of the best cards I seen that can deal with treasure tokens. 👍

AnotherAlias wrote:
10 months ago
Fargone Farseer
1/3
This actually seems a bit too powerful. Maybe either making it a tapped ability even if it cost less mana or better that it can't only activate once per turn.
Caspernicus wrote:
10 months ago
3/2
I think it would be better as either the mana doesn't leave as phases end and at sorcery speed or makes them treasure tokens. For most of the time activated they won't be able to use the mana.
netn10 wrote:
10 months ago
Kicker - U and/or R
Flash
1/3
Interesting take. And I was bigger fan of back when it was nightscape from Invasion than the shard Gixis and some of the color pie changed.
I think the black mana draw back makes this fair.

slimytrout wrote:
10 months ago
2/3
Abilities are fine. I'm just wondering about the cost. IDK if it's too much or odd due to a sacrifice cost in Gruul. Red without black have a repeatable sacrifice outlet is actually rather powerful on its own. IDK

atlanticbomber wrote:
10 months ago
Vengeful Healer 2WB`
2/2
Sorry. Poison counters make this way to powerful. Only up side to balance it I guess is the way it is worded as a separate sentence I think causes you to get a poison counter. I just don't know if that is true or tge intention.

kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
10 months ago
Druid of the Lupine Call 4G
Creature - Human Druid (Uncommon)
When Druid of the Lupine Call enters the battlefield, create a 2/2 green Wolf creature token, draw a card, and you may play an additional land this turn. It becomes night.
T: Add one mana of any color.
1/4
Nice. Not enough cards that just turn it into night on its own. And it's balanced for the mana cost.

Top 3:
1st: Henlock
2nd: kwaneergor-ii
3rd: Netn10

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 9 months ago

Bumping for critiques.

Caspernicus

Post by Caspernicus » 9 months ago

Not sure how we're suppose to do this, so I'm using the MCC rubric. Here are my crits:
Henlock - Consecrator of Relics
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Johnny hates this card's existence, as it is entirely anti-combo. Certain groups of Timmys hate this card too (My Dockside Extortionist makes only one treasure? What?), those same Timmys will love playing this card when it's to their benefit. Spike sees a use in cEDH to counter the aforementioned Goblin Pirate, as well as in the sideboard of some Death & Taxes variants in Modern/Pioneer to counter artifact-reliant decks.
(3/3) Elegance - Simple and easy to read, and makes perfect sense with the color/name. Really well done.

Development
(3/3) Viability - This card is incredibly powerful, but not to the extent that it is breaking the game in any degree. While certainly an auto-include in cEDH, I don't think it will have enough impact on other metagames to break out of the sideboard.
(2.5/3) Balance - This is either a do-nothing card or an incredibly powerful floodgate, but it depends on the matchup. Creating only 1 treasure token at a time certainly hurts in certain areas, but not enough in my opinion to hurt too much on its own. However, that Ward 3... I feel that may be a little excessive, when you're limiting your opponents' excess mana. Ward 2, I think, is more appropriate here.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - The effect itself is unique, but it feels like another Drannith Magistrate-esque oppression, just with flash.
(3/3) Flavor - Flavor is on-point, as far as I can tell.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - All good.
(2/2) Main Challenge - Bingo.
Subchallenges - N/A.

Total: 20.5/23

I honestly really love this design. Punishing your opponent's massive Dockside Extortionist into a 1-mana deficit is an incredibly powerful answer to an incredibly powerful play.
AnotherAlias - Fargone Farseer
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - This is on the same level as Thoughtseize. It will be played by everyone.
(3/3) Elegance - It's fairly straightforward.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - This is very much black. The only problem I have is that the hand reveal effect is continuous, so unless your opponent has an out that you can't respond to, you've essentially won the game simply on information, meaning you're running borderline mythic. See Balance.
(1/3) Balance - I believe this card is very ban-worthy in Modern at the very least. Knowing your opponent's hand, and what they draw into on future turns? For Dimir Control, that's the type of power level that I think would propel them to the singular dominant powerhouse in Modern. I'm no expert, but the knowledge obtained from this card, even without forcing a discard, is just plain out absurd, especially for 2 mana. And the second effect: being able to play the exiled cards after Fargone Farseer is off the table seems a little busted. At least tap him in addition to the 4 mana.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - It has a Thoughtseize mixed with Kotose, the Silent Spider type effect. It's not unheard of, but it's new enough.
(3/3) Flavor - As far as flavor goes, with him being an absolute lunatic because of seeing too much, it actually makes sense. Very good job on this end.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - All good.
(2/2) Main Challenge - Good here too.
Subchallenges - N/A

Total: 19.5/23

Overall, way too powerful, in my opinion.
netn10 - Nightscape Flesh-Twister
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal - Timmy is probably the only one interested in this card, because big mana = big play. Johnny and Spike are upset this was in their rare slot.
(2/3) Elegance - It's a little tough to get on first read, but not too bad.

Development
(1/3) Viability - The card is definitely black, but I don't know if I understand the kicker colors. How do blue and red fight in to the flavor of the card overall? I'm just a bit lost. Additionally, it doesn't do anything crazy; it's a lot of mana for a small effect. Should have made this an uncommon at least, because if I'm pulling this for my rare, I'm gonna be upset. See Balance.
(1/3) Balance - This card suffers from... overbalancing. You're spending 4 mana (2B, 1 any and a kicker) to remove a single 1 power creature on your opponent's board. While this has niche applications (removing Emry, Lurker of the Loch in modern, Drannith Magistrate in commander, or Sai, Master Thopterist whenever he shows his grubby little 'stache), not many of the things you're removing couldn't also be taken out with a Lightning Bolt. Overall, neat idea, but the cost-effectiveness is certainly not worth a rare slot and it won't be given a second glance in many competitive circles. Does it get better the more mana you spend? Yeah, sure. But so much mana to only get rid of two threats is underwhelming. On a side note, the stats are also too small for how much you need to spend on it to make it effective. At least make him a 3/3, but a 4/4 might be nicer.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - I can't say this isn't unique. A Behold the Unspeakable-esque ability mixed with Twisted Image stapled onto a creature is not something I thought I'd see.
(2.5/3) Flavor - I can see it working out, a warlock hunting in the middle of the night, turning opponents' strengths into their weaknesses by sculpting their flesh in horrible ways. It took me a while to get there, but I like the image.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Seems alright on this point. I'm not entirely certain on the order of keywords (Spend only..., Kicker, Flash), but I'm going to assume you got them right.
(2/2) Main Challenge - It fits, though I still don't see how the red or blue fits.
Subchallenges - N/A

Total: 17.5/23

The design overall is very interesting, though in my opinion the power is not worth a rare slot. If rated an uncommon or common, my evaluation might've been higher.
Komandon - Luxomancer
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Timmy doesn't think this is very powerful, but Johnny will be looking for ways to break it. Spike will be watching Johnny with mild interest.
(3/3) Elegance - Simplest card on the list. Very easy to read.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Definitely white: they like exiling things. The rarity certainly fits, as the power level doesn't break the game nor is it too bad to not get played at all. It has the potential to be incredibly useful.
(3/3) Balance - While I certainly think it will be played in EDH in blink decks like Brago, King Eternal and such, I doubt it will get much attention in any competitive format. Maybe Modern's Death & Taxes, with its pension for exile removal (Swords to Plowshares Path to Exile, etc.). Overall though, very nicely balanced. Just good enough to get played, but not become dominant by itself.

Creativity
(1/3) Uniqueness - Unfortunately, while this exact type of effect does not exist, very similar cards abound with the "trigger - draw a card" ability.
(1.5/3) Flavor - I'm not entirely certain what light (lux in Luxomancer) has to do with banishing, unless you're talking a Banishing Light sort of situation, in which case this should be a cleric, not a wizard. Either change the type, the name or add some flavor text to tie this all together somehow and I'd get the idea better.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Seems good here, though I really want some flavor text to fill out the emptiness of the card.
(2/2) Main Challenge - Good here.
Subchallenges - N/A

Total: 18.5/23
slimytrout - Fleshbrand Firekeeper
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal - Johnny is doing his best to break it, but Timmy and Spike don't think much of it.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Simple enough. The problem is the effects are so similar it's easy to get them mixed up.

Development
(1/3) Viability - I'm a little confused on why green, but red makes total sense. However, there is way too much mana going into this card for such a small effect. I don't think it's worth the rare slot, as it's not fast enough to get any good value off the ability. Uncommon is a more appropriate rarity.
(2/3) Balance - I mean, it's balanced to the point of not being a great card. It will have its times to shine, but it really is just so expensive for so small an effect, especially on the green side of things.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Very Fling-esque, not the most original on this list.
(1.5/3) Flavor - I'm a bit confused on what a Fleshbrand Firekeeper is suppose to be. Some flavor text would help.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Seems good here, though I really want some flavor text to fill out the emptiness of the card.
(2/2) Main Challenge - Good here.
Subchallenges - N/A

Total: 14.5/23

I'm sorry, I just wasn't enamored with the design.
atlanticbomber - Vengeful Healer
Show
Hide
Design
(1/3) Appeal - Life gain Johnnys will do their darndest, but Spike and Timmy are left with questions as to why this is their rare.
(3/3) Elegance - Simple enough. Convoluted in execution, but it makes sense.

Development
(1/3) Viability - Uncommon is a more appropriate rarity, as the card is too expensive for its mediocre payoff of killing a single creature some turns later.
(2/3) Balance - Again, this card is overbalanced. It has the potential to do some things in commander, but that's it.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - Vengeance counters are interesting, as well as each player gaining 2 life. Kinda cool.
(3/3) Flavor - The flavor I feel is on point, and overall it's interesting design. I just wish it was executed slightly better.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good.
(2/2) Main Challenge - Yep.
Subchallenges - N/A

Total: 18/23
kwanyeegor-ii - Druid of the Lupine Call
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Timmy and Johnny's interest is obvious, but Spike also has interest for cEDH specifically.
(1/3) Elegance - It does how much at one time? Could be a little confusing, and everyone hates keeping track of night-day.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Definitely green, definitely playable in commander especially, as it has its synergies with Raggadragga, Goreguts Boss and Chulane, Teller of Tales. It is sneaking into rare territory, though, because of just how much it does.
(3/3) Balance - This is pretty well balanced. It is very much would be an excellent card in certain commanders, but it's not so oppressive that it would even be thought of as a problem for any banlist, mostly because of the high up-front mana cost. Well done.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - It's a one-turn Chulane at home, just with wolves. Interesting, but not entirely original.
(2.5/3) Flavor - Flavor is pretty much on point for a someone who lives in the woods helping wolves and such. I think it would be neat if it was also a werewolf, though.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Seems good. Like some others on the list, flavor text though would be nice.
(2/2) Main Challenge - :+1:
Subchallenges - N/A

Total: 18.5/23
My top 3
Show
Hide
1) Henlock
2) AnotherAlias
3) kwanyeegor-ii

Komandon, I know you and kwanyeegor-ii were tied, I just liked the complexity on kwanyeegor-ii's card a little better.
Commanders: Zaffai, Thunder Conductor, Denethor, Ruling Steward
Pet Cards: Etali, Primal Storm, Creative Technique
When doubt does stride with iron-laden foot
and chooses take my pride in my own self,
in ragged chains drag I to hell from wealth
and broken, wear’ly slog through ashen soot.
Doubt’s trumpet sounds, that full religious toot
which howls in pompous, mocking, vibrant health
as I run far away, in fear 'f myself,
and chase away the day I end kaput.
But even in the hand of vill’nous doubt,
I know I’ll rise above in victory.
And even when I’m hit with doubter’s clout,
I have no doubt I’ll see that sun-kissed sea.
For even when some faith in me I lack,
I know — in time — I can my doubt attack.

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 9 months ago

Henlock
Show
Hide
Hate bear. Anti treasure/food/clue/whatever other stuff. This sounds like a pain to deal with and would make the player who owns it a target in commander. Also, ward 3? I feel that is too much. Plus, it could either lock out the opponent or do absolutely nothing.
Caspernicus
Show
Hide
I would rather there be less 1 toughness hate. Flavor fits though.
netn10
Show
Hide
Cool ability. Wording should be "if this spell was kicked", not "for each time this spell was kicked."
Komandon
Show
Hide
Exile synergy. However, it being only permanents and it having poor stats makes it not that good. Also, I think you got the name wrong.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Fling. Not very playable, but I bet if someone tried hard enough they could run it as a liability in a weird fling deck.
atlanticbomber
Show
Hide
Weak. At its price, it could only be its controller gaining life and it would be fine. Also, a 2/2 for 4? Could be higher stats or lower cost. Flavor kinda fits? Poison counters are, for the most part, seen on poisonous creatures, like scorpions, or phyrexians, though.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
That's a lot on etb. I like it setting it to night. There aren't enough cards that do that. Additional land is unnecessary and just feels like you were just throwing some extra thing on. The tapping to add mana bit is also a bit odd, but I'll let it slide because I don't know what I'd replace it with.
Top 3
Show
Hide
3rd: slimytrout
2nd: netn10
1st: kwanyeegor-ii

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”