Rules text for a card that grants splice

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 9 months ago

So, I was working on making a custom card that would give Splice onto instant or sorcery to instant and sorceries, but I have no clue if the wording I have actually makes any sense whatsoever. The closest card I could find to what I am going for is likely Dream Devourer, so that it what I tried to emulate. Any help would be greatly appreciated since this feels a bit like uncharted territory rules wise, at least for my brain.

This is the text I have so far:

Each instant and sorcery card in your hand without (splice) has splice onto instant and sorcery. Its splice cost is equal to its mana value increased by . (As you cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may reveal an instant or sorcery card from your hand and pay its splice cost. If you do, add that card's effects to that spell.)

Should (splice) be (splice onto instant and sorcery?) Seems painfully redundant but maybe that's the price of being exact? There is probably a bunch of other stuff wrong with the wording but this was my attempt at making it work. Also, the part about adding that card's effects to that spell seems wrong but I dunno.

Thanks in advance hehe.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

WizardMN
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WizardMN » 9 months ago

Yes, you do currently need the "onto Instant or Sorcery" as the rules aren't written with a default in mind. So you need to be specific about the constraints.

The only thing would be increasing the cost reads a little weird but ultimately is probably fine. You can probably just say "plus 1" and have it read a little better.

Otherwise, the wording seems pretty good. I don't see anything else that stands out as being a significant problem with the wording.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 9 months ago

Thank you
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Card Rulings”