Missy and Morph mechanic

Cyberium
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cyberium » 9 months ago

Missy

I presume it's possible to turn a creature face up via morph and other mechanics, but would they remain 2/2 artifact Cyberman?

Just curious as to how I can expand on Missy's effect in deck building.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 9 months ago

Unless the rules for cybermen will be different, I think they'd remain cybermen.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 9 months ago

I'm not a rules guy, but I just tried Magic Online with Tezzeret, Cruel Machinist and putting Morph creatures into play and I could turn them face up for morph cost and they are the face up card fully. They didn't retain the 5/5 artifact creature features.
So I don't see any reason why Missy would be different?'

I would say that Ruthless Ripper with a sacrifice outlet is a win.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 9 months ago

Relevant ruling for Tezzeret, Cruel Machinist:
Gatherer wrote:The Core Set 2019 set includes no way to turn these cards face up. If an effect from cards outside of this set does turn one face up, the effect causing it to be a 5/5 artifact creature ends. If such an effect tries to turn an instant or sorcery card face up, reveal that card and it stays face down. In that case, it remains a 5/5 artifact creature.
Missy would presumably function the same way - if you have some way to turn the card face-up, the effect defining them as a 2/2 Cyberman ends.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lifeless » 9 months ago

Yes this works for sure (flipping them face up) just like if you Manifest a card with a Morph cost you can pay the cost to flip it. Morph doesn't care at all how a card was placed face down in the first place. They also stop being whatever they previously were when face down.

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 9 months ago

Can missy be a potential Artifact/Morph commander, then? I can already imagine her reusing all the morphs, with Urza, Lord High Artificer in the background. Destroyed "trap cards" only turn into new trap cards.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 9 months ago

Cyberium wrote:
9 months ago
Can missy be a potential Artifact/Morph commander, then? I can already imagine her reusing all the morphs, with Urza, Lord High Artificer in the background. Destroyed "trap cards" only turn into new trap cards.
Yeah for sure. The thing with face down cards is that there is very few ways to turn them face up. They specifically have to be morph or transform cards. Not even modal double-faced cards like Esika, God of the Tree // The Prismatic Bridge can be turned face up.
And even then the only cards I can find that transform cards are Tovolar, Dire Overlord and Moonmist.

The only way to get additional value that I can see is to exile and return to battlefield, but Grixis isn't really the color combination for that. White has all the mass exile effects that I can tell. Blue has some single exile effects, which you could look to get value.
You could look to set up an engine with Zada, Hedron Grinder/Mirrorwing Dragon with an exile spell like Essence Flux.

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 9 months ago

You're missing a couple powerful cards (in terms of facedown tech):
Primordial Mist - this is how you get to use any card you've turned facedown, including instants and sorceries you've manifested. It gets even better if you have flash, and is great with Kadena (not possible in the same deck as Missy, unless you're going with some 4c commander).
Ixidor, Reality Sculptor - turns any facedown creature up for at instant speed.

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 9 months ago

Cyberium wrote:
9 months ago
I do this in my Kadena, Slinking Sorcerer deck with Yedora, Grave Gardener. It's pretty strong--stronger than artifacts being tapped for mana with Urza, since lands are much harder to interact with than artifact creatures, and because a board wipe will still give you a bunch of Forest-morphs, whereas a board wipe will leave you with a bunch of 2/2 artifact creatures you can't tap for mana, and may not be able to turn face-up. Still, that looks very solid for a Missy deck.

I think green offers morph more value than red does, but you have more combo options with red. Bonethorn Valesk is a thing, and there are some morphs that can turn up for . You could tap with Urza, turn up, ping for 1, then sacrifice it to return it to the field and go back to step 1.

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 6 months ago

You know, I'd been strongly considering swapping Kadena for Missy, but while I was writing up some musings on the change, I realized that having a sort of more aggressive Yedora, Grave Gardener in the command zone was probably not going to lead to a more enjoyable morph deck.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”