Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 11 months ago

CCL July Signups/Round 1

"Woof!"

Spirited Companion, taken from Art of MtG, by Ilse Gort and Wizards of the Coast
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!

Theme

It's Mystery Theme Month here at the CCL! This month, the challenges will share some sort of association, which anyone is welcome to guess at any time - but it will only be revealed after the finals.

Challenge
Design a Dog creature card with mana value 2 or less.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Monday, July 10th, 23:59 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (July 3rd-10th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (July 11th-18th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due July 20th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (July 21st-24th)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due July 26th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (July 27th-30th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due August 1st)
  • Final (August, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 11 months ago

Sled Puller 1W
Creature - Dog (Uncommon)
When Sled Puller enters the battlefield, if it's not a token, create a token that's a copy of it.
Whenever Sled Puller crews a vehicle, put a +1/+1 counter on Sled Puller and that Vehicle.
1/1

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 11 months ago

Eager Retriever 1W
Creature - Dog (R)
When Eager Retriever enters the battlefield, choose up to one target permanent card in your graveyard that was put there from the battlefield this turn. Return it to your hand.
1W, T, Discard a card: Exile Eager Retriever. Return it to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.
"Fetch!"
2/2

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 11 months ago

Dogs of War 1R
You may have any number of cards called Dogs of War in your deck.
1R: Creatures named Dogs of War get +1/+0 until end of turn.
2/2

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 11 months ago

An Honorable Puppy
At the beginning of your end step, draw a card if An Honorable Puppy's power is four or greater.
: Put a +1/+1 counter on An Honorable Puppy.
2/2
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 11 months ago

Boreal Watchdog
Snow Creature - Dog - Uncommon
Vigilance
Whenever an opponent casts a spell, each snow creature you control gets +0/+1 until end of turn.
2/2

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 11 months ago

Thraben Searchhound w
Creature - Dog (u)
: Put onto the battlefield from your hand a creature card with the same name as a creature that was put into your hand from the battlefield this turn.
1/2

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Only a few hours remain to enter this round!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

And the round is closed! Please critique each other contestant and post an ordered top 3 of the other contestants who made your favorite design this round. Next round to come soon...

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 10 months ago

Bump to remind all contestants about critiquing!

netn10

Post by netn10 » 10 months ago

Subject16
Show
Hide
It's a dog that retrieves and rescues stuff. The flavor text is "fetch," which works well with the dog theme and with fetch lands. It's a cute and flavorful, yet safe card. I would know; I've explored the same concept twice before. However, I firmly believe in creating "safe" cards that resonate well with players.
Komandon
Show
Hide
The name is simple and good, and the ability makes sense. I wish this card had flavor text. It is too similar to Pack Mastiff, which is also a very flavorful card.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
You threw me back! The concept of "something happens when this creature reaches a power threshold" is still quite unexplored, especially with creatures that have the tension of making themselves bigger. We mostly see power matter at 4 and 5, so your card is solid and explores uncharted territory.
AnotherAlias
Show
Hide
Dog of a snowy place is another clear concept. Your card is simple and concise. I understand what it tries to do, but it's too simple for my taste. Your form of protection is a little more interesting than just Ward though.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Search dog is another simple and flavorful concept. This ability is entirely unique, and while it might be broken in some decks, it's at least intriguing and provides a nice build-around to think about. I can imagine this in a format where WU is an "etb matter" archetype, where it can provide an interesting angle.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1st: Henlock
2nd: marioguy3
3rd: Subject16

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 10 months ago

netn10: This dog certainly does things for sure. Not sure creating a token copy of itself can be done in white and uncommon, but the card has good synergies.

Subject16: The restriction helps this card not feel broken or close to broken. It's a cool design for white and works well with fetchlands of course. I would add a restriction that made it mana value 3 or less OR made it equal to or less than the dog's power for balancing. In return, I'd be okay with this having flash. Otherwise fun card.

Komandon: Very flavorful card that barks as hard as it bites.

AnotherAlias: I like the boost this card gives. I am liking the elegant designs in this contest, which makes it hard to give a top 3 because they are so fun in their own right. Snow for the win.

Henlock: This probably should be a rare. This effect is quite interesting, but poses some small memory issues. Otherwise, I have no problem with the power/toughness or the name.

Top 3:

3rd place: Subject16
2nd place: Komandon
1st place: Another Alias
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 10 months ago

netn10: From a flavor stand point, it is good. From a gameplay standpoint, good vehicle synergies but way too sticky imo. Maybe not an uncommon angle. Should be a rare ?

Subject16: Flavor is good. Card advantage with a setback is a solid structure. Activated ability is pretty fair, discard a card get a card. Overall, solid design.

Komandon: Flavorful. Could be strong, could be a pack filler.

marioguy3: Interesting card draw engine. I feel like "An Honorable Puppy" is a bit long. It seems kinda weak, but hey, not everything needs to be strong. I find a lot of weakish cards to be fun. Edit: After sitting on it for a while, I think I was seeing the card only for its activated ability. I'm going to rearrange my top 3.

Henlock: Good flavor. And well, I mean, it's mana cheating. It really depends on the meta. Could be flop, could be the most tilting thing I have ever seen. Should be a rare.

Top 3:

3rd: Komandon
2nd: marioguy3
1st: Subject16

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 10 months ago

Netn10 very clever. Like a reverse Esika's Chariot but helps the vehicle like Mukotai Soulripper [/card] or Unlicensed Hearse without the semi-drawback.

Subject16. I'm sorry the wording confuses me. It's return the dog to your hand right? But if that's turn the stack would be odd I think since you have more than one action at the beginning of your end step if you discard it. Not sure if you are going with an ability like Brought Back and if so maybe it be better to be with flash instead of the channel like ability and mix it with Reinforced Ronin. Or is the card from the graveyard put into the hand afterwards so it sets of multiple triggers. Then again if it's the dog then it would trigger too many things at the beginning of the end step as I read it. Either way seems broken and I agree needs more restrictions. I apologize for not understanding the wording.

Marioguy3 sounds like a very happy and cute puppy. Like a much better Packsong Pup

AnotherAlias. Not enough good snow support cards IMO and white seems to be lacking in it. Good job.

Henlock. I believe tokens returned to your hand though ceasing to exist still trigger. If true this I see much potential.

Top 3:
Netn10 1st
Marioguy3 2nd
Henlock 3rd

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”