Theros God Pairs

Icarii
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Icarii » 4 years ago

A thought experiment for two gods in tandem on cards.

Purphoros and Ephara 2URW
Legendary Enchantment Creature - God (M)
Indestructible
As long as your devotion to blue, red, and white is less than eight, Purphoros and Ephara isn't a creature.
Whenever another creature enters the battlefield under your control, Purphoros and Ephara deal 2 damage to any target.
UW: Exile another target creature you control, then return it to the battlefield under its owner's control.
7/6

Nylea and Iroas 1RGW
Indestructible
As long as your devotion to red, green, and white is less than eight, Nylea and Iroas isn't a creature.
Creatures you control can't be blocked by creatures with power two or less.
RW: Target creature gets +3/+0 or +0/+3 until end of turn.
7/5

Thassa and Pharika BGU
Indestructible
As long as your devotion to black, green, and blue is less than eight, Thassa and Pharika isn't a creature.
At the beginning of your upkeep, draw a card, then discard a card.
BG, Exile a creature card from your graveyard: Target creature gains indestructible until end of turn.
6/6

Heliod and Phenax 1WUB
Indestructible
As long as your devotion to white, blue, and black is less than eight, Heliod and Phanex isn't a creature.
Other creatures you control have lifelink.
UB: Target player puts the top card of their library into their graveyard for each 1 life you gained this turn.
5/8

Erebos and Keranos 1UBR
Indestructible
As long as your devotion to blue, black, and red is less than eight, Erebos and Keranos isn't a creature.
Whenever a creature dies, scry 1.
1UR: Put the top card of your library into your graveyard. If its a nonland card, draw a card and Erebos and Keranos deal 3 damage to any target.
6/7
Last edited by Icarii 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Not bad ideas at all. (I'm pretty sure the devotion target for tricolor Gods should be nine based on the pattern but that's up for interpretation.)

Some of these look fine as-is and some look concerning. Purphoros and Ephara in particular is worrisome as a commander, taking Purphoros's powerful universal ETB ability and adding not only colors that shore up the weaknesses of a monored EDH deck, but blink.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Icarii

Oh yes, I did consider that for Purphoros and Ephara. Thats why is starts a 5 mana AND it trades doing damage to "each" opponent to one time to any target. That may still be too good and maybe jsut making 1 damage would be fine, but there was some thought there.

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

I expected two two-color Gods with an overlapping color, probably one ally-colored one enemy-colored, some kind of compromise to get in all the gold Gods into less slots. The overlap might at least suggest somewhat why the pair is associated similar to Bond of Flourishing etc.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Also, I just want to praise Nylea and Iroas. Very tight design that just feels right for them both.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Icarii

SecretInfiltrator wrote:
4 years ago
I expected two two-color Gods with an overlapping color, probably one ally-colored one enemy-colored, some kind of compromise to get in all the gold Gods into less slots. The overlap might at least suggest somewhat why the pair is associated similar to Bond of Flourishing etc.
Ah, but if you overlapped two gods that shared a color, wouldnt that one color want more devotion? Maybe not. The flavor in my thought process was a greater god allying with a lesser one for some purpose.
void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Also, I just want to praise Nylea and Iroas. Very tight design that just feels right for them both.
Glad you like! The idea of combining the gods like this offers a lot of possibilities, and while an aggressive Naya card isnt new, I do like that it is the most elegant with some lenticular levels.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”