Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 10 months ago

Cor Jaffel: Origins
Etcha Rein

"Image"

Etcha stood at the back of the ship's promenade, staring down at the people below. The steerage was filled with numerous small groups, each huddled together as night fell. It had been quite some time since she had seen the ship so full.

"And what is my favorite lady hearing?" a voice said behind her.

She turned. It was Noonan, the ship's captain and her dear friend she'd known since she was much younger.

"Nothing, I wasn't listening." she replied.

"That's quite a solemn look for someone who isn't listening."

She looked down at the passengers again as he strode over and joined her. "No. I'm just lost in my own head." She paused a moment. "I don't know. Something just feels off, and I think our passengers feel it too."

"What do you mean? I thought you weren't listening in?" Noonan asked.

"I'm not. I just mean, look at all of them. We're never this full. Not now, a year before the seasons change."

"Well I'm not complaining" he replied. "This is turning out to be one of our most profitable series of haven hops in months."

"I know, and I'm as glad for the business as you. It just doesn't feel..." she lingered a moment before Noonan interrupted.

"Look. Everyone's started to settle into a pattern, and people are getting more used to hopping between havens as the seasons change. This last few trips have definitely been heavier, but people are just trying to get ahead. Move early, get settled in, and find work and a place to live before the flood of other hoppers come. Besides, Baramu isn't exactly a friendly haven to begin with. There's a reason we only dock on its outer rim."

"Maybe."

They both stood for a moment, watching the various people below. The steerage was a simple cargo hold that had been cleared out for passengers. Reserved for the cheaper travelers who's main concern is simply the travel, it offered no real amenities and even less privacy.

"Well... unlike me, you can actually go find out" Noonan offered as he shrugged, turned, and headed back toward the bridge.

"Image"

Etcha wasn't an accomplished mage, not by any means. She knew a few spells, but nothing that would stand up to a real test. Her main talent lie instead in her wilding. Born during the peak of Ayyartu's summer, when all the power of the plane shined upon the grandhaven, she was born with an innate gift: ever since she was a child, she could hear the thoughts of others around her.

For years, it was a maddening curse that would keep her up at night, barely ever able to sleep. But, eventually, she learned to control it, and used it to survive a hostile world. When she was 20, she came to work for Noonan, as his confidant and council, always with an extra ear that could keep him safe. Her life had turned from bare survival to comfort, and she was always grateful to him, even when he took her for granted.

The suggestion of eavesdropping on the passengers may have seemed nonchalant, but she knew he wouldn't have suggested it if he didn't also want to know. It was an easy trip with only passengers as cargo, and there wasn't much else to do, so she took him up on his suggestion and headed down into the steerage.

"Image"

She strolled quietly through the masses. Most people kept their distance, unsure of her, as if they had something to hide. But in their minds, there was mostly just worry and uncertainty. Thoughts filled with anxiety, daydreams of what might come, both of grandeur and of dangers. This was always the norm, as each haven had its own struggles and dangers. A dream of an elder passenger who was meeting their grandkids for the first time washed over her from a sleeping lady as she passed, and was a welcome reprieve. Such things always let Etcha know that between all the fights and danger from hopping between havens, they were doing good.

Suddenly another vision tore through her head out of nowhere. Disconnected, jumbled, and chaotic. It hit her like the swell of a giant wave, and she felt herself stumble. She could hardly make sense of what she saw, as if there were a dozen people dreaming at once. She had to focus to find herself again and snap back. Her eyes came back to her and she realized she was holding herself up by the shoulder of another.

She was a small kithkin, with golden white hair and pale skin looking up at her. She let go and righted herself. The kithkin had kind eyes and a look of compassion.

"Are you ok?" Jin asked.

Etcha nodded and looked around. Across from them lay a neothran sleeping while another sat on a crate, holding his head in his hands, shaking slightly.

"Image"

Jin saw her looking at him, and lied "He's just afraid of flying, he'll be ok."

She watched him for a moment, intrigued and worried by the cacophony in his head. Then she realized his age and where they came from.

"He's a child of the summer winds, isn't he?" Etcha asked.

Jin hadn't heard anyone put it like that, but she knew what she meant, and nodded. They never spoke of Yogun's issues outside of the trio, but she could tell the noble woman had recognized it as if she knew what it was.

Etcha gently walked next to him. He didn't even register she was there. She put her hand on his shoulder, took a deep breath and dove in.

Instantly, she was drowning in the chaos, but she was prepared this time. She let it wash over her, and stood resolute in its center. Slowly the visions began to separate, and she realized he was seeing a great many things all at once. The mind was strong, very strong to contain all this, but it was overrun holding it in. She stepped away from the center, going deeper into his depths, leaving the madness behind. She dove deeper, past his feelings, past his worries. She was in his memories now, and she knew needed a powerful one.

The boy was younger, he was watching the kithkin sleep. In his mind, he realized for the first time that he loved her and she would forever be his sister.

It was strong, but not strong enough. She continued in.

The boy was even younger, his brother behind him. He was fighting another kid who had attacked his brother. Not nearly strong enough.

The boy was now barely 10, his brother again beside him. They were running around, playing some game she didn't understand. They were joyous and without worry or care. A voice called out behind them, and they turned. It was there mother, and the surprise and elation was staggering. She knew she had found it.

"Image"

As if a gift bearer on name day, she gently held the memory and came back to the madness. It was a precious memory, but in her care, it was safe and wouldn't falter.

Now back in the center, she focused on the memory, and it grew and grew. All the visions slowly faded until that memory was all that remained. The mind grew calm, and had found refuge.

She opened her eyes. Yogun was looking up at her, his hand now on hers. She knew that he had seen her, and that he knew they had witnessed it all together.

She spoke softly, but firmly. "When it gets to be too much, find a cherished memory and drown yourself in it until there's nothing else."

He looked at her with understanding and appreciation.

She continued on, heading back up to the deck. She wouldn't find the answers she came down here for, but she knew her stroll was far from pointless.
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 10 months ago

Authors note:
This is now only the second thing I've written in 10+ years. Heh
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 10 months ago

I can't get as much of a handle on Etcha as I can on the brothers, but I'd like to see more from her nonetheless.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Fan Fiction”