May CCL Round 1 - Groves and Meadows

Lorn Asbord Schutta
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 1 week ago

May CCL Signups/Round 1
"Groves and Meadows"

Banner made from Vivid Grove, Horizon Canopy and Vivid Meadow, by Wizards of the Coast and Howard Lyon, Noah Bradley, Rob Alexander, respectively
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!
Theme
To balance the dryness of April, it is a Flowers month here at CCL. While the combative nature of Magic gives little room to appreciate delicate beauty of petals, this month's challanges will be inspired by them, sometimes straightforward, sometimes less.

Challenge
Design a land card with a white and/or green color identity.
Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • A land card has a white color identity if it has anywhere in its rules text or have Plains subtype; likewise for green color identity, and Forest subtype; you can read more about color identity here.
  • Your card can't have other colors in its color identity; basically, if you couldn't play your land in Trostani, Selesnya's Voice commander deck, it doesn't pass the challange.
  • Make sure to include a rarity.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Monday, May 6th, 12:00 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (May 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (May 8th-14th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due May 17th)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (May 17th-22nd)
  • Top 8 Critiques (May April 25th)
  • Top 4 — Open to top 4 finishers (May 25th - 29th)
  • Top 4 Critiques (Due June 1st)
  • Final (June, winner determined by public poll)
For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate six other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 1 hour ago, edited 4 times in total.

KB52665

Post by KB52665 » 1 week ago

Luminous Everscape
Land — Scape (R)
When Luminous Everscape enters, if you control another untapped Scape, add .
: Add .
Render
Show
Hide

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 1 week ago

Arnabiem, Home to the Rabbitfolk
Legendary Land (Mythic)
When Arnabiem enters the battlefield, target opponent creates a 1/1 green and white Rabbit creature token with a +1/+1 counter on it.
T: Add G or W. Each player may either populate or proliferate.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 week ago

Itlimoc in Ruins
Legendary Land (Mythic)
Itlimoc in Ruins enters the battlefield tapped unless you control five or more creatures.
T: Add G. If you control five or more creatures, you gain 1 life.
7GGG, T: Create a 1/1 black Fungus creature token with "This creature can't block" for each land you control.
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

AnotherAlias

Post by AnotherAlias » 1 week ago

Thallid Thicket
Land — Forest (Uncommon)
(: Add .)
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a spore counter on Thallid Thicket.
Remove three spore counters from Thallid Thicket: Create a 1/1 green Saproling creature token.

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 1 week ago

Field of Vitality
Land (rare)
Field of Vitality enters the battlefield tapped.
Whenever you gain for the first time each turn, you may untap Field of Vitality.
T: Add w.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 1 week ago

Wood-Edge Clachan
Land (R)
Wood-Edge Clachan enters the battlefield tapped unless there is a Kithkin card in your graveyard.
T: Add G.
2W: Until end of turn, Wood-Edge Clachan becomes a 3/3 white Kithkin Soldier creature with vigilance and protection from mana value 3 or greater. It's still a land.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 6 days ago

Martyrdom of Aelies
Legendary Enchantment Land - Monument (r)
1ww: Martyrdom of Aelies becomes a 3/4 creature with lifelink until end of turn.
: Change the target of a spell or ability to Martyrdom of Aelies.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 6 days ago

Land of the Goats
Land (Rare)
Land of the Goats enters the battlefield tapped.
, : Add for each Goat token you control.
, : Create a 0/1 white Goat creature token.
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 5 days ago

And the round is closed!
@KB52665
@netn10
@kwanyeegor-ii
@AnotherAlias
@Komandon
@void_nothing
@Henlock
@marioguy3
Please provide critiques for and choose top 3 from six contestants below you, looping if necessary.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 4 days ago

In Progress

@marioguy3: I think this can work very well with just counting any kind of Goats. Goats are not easy to make aplenty, and there aren't too many Goat cards either. Also, a mana combo with Mirror Entity seems quite cool. I think this is overall an upgrade to Springjack Pasture, as making a token for 3 mana, even a 0/1, is a good rate.

@void_nothing The prospect of a cycle of mana producing lands with an off-color manland ability is really neat and the typal ability feels like plus more than a must. Three mana is a sweet spot for a manland activation. While you can turtle all day in certain matchups, I am more interested in the ability as an antichumpblocking tech.

@Komandon Oh, this feels insanely good, in a great way. I think you made a great job at balancing it: Come in to play tapped and once each turn triggers are not well-liked, but here they feel like the proper design choice

netn10

Post by netn10 » 3 days ago

kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
1 week ago
Itlimoc in Ruins
Legendary Land (Mythic)
Itlimoc in Ruins enters the battlefield tapped unless you control five or more creatures.
7GGG, T: Create a 1/1 black Fungus creature token with "This creature can't block" for each land you control.
The untapped clause is pretty harsh. The mana ability is fine. The activated ability is a nice callback to a pretty under-utilized token. I like the "can't block" use of this. The land can be non-legendary and still make sense.
AnotherAlias
Show
Hide
AnotherAlias wrote:
1 week ago
Thallid Thicket
Land — Forest (Uncommon)
(: Add .)
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a spore counter on Thallid Thicket.
Remove three spore counters from Thallid Thicket: Create a 1/1 green Saproling creature token.
Very simple and clean. Problem is, this is strictly better than a basic forest. This card should have either not be a forest, or enter the battlefield tapped, possibly both.
Komandon
Show
Hide
Komandon wrote:
1 week ago
Field of Vitality
Land (rare)
Field of Vitality enters the battlefield tapped.
Whenever you gain for the first time each turn, you may untap Field of Vitality.
T: Add w.
Pretty hard card to evaluate. On one hand, it should probably be fine as it enters the battlefield tapped. On the other hand, it can sometimes provide two white mana in a turn. Pretty interesting and simple card that's probably not auto-include even in a dedicated life-gain decks.
void_nothing
Show
Hide
void_nothing wrote:
1 week ago
Wood-Edge Clachan
Land (R)
Wood-Edge Clachan enters the battlefield tapped unless there is a Kithkin card in your graveyard.
2W: Until end of turn, Wood-Edge Clachan becomes a 3/3 white Kithkin Soldier creature with vigilance and protection from mana value 3 or greater. It's still a land.
Strong Lorwyn energy right here. I wish Lorwyn had more green Kithkins and this card could have slide right in there. The untapped clause is simple but unique, the mana ability is interesting because we have so few green Kithkins so it acts as a small drawback, and the animate ability is pretty nice callback to Mistmeadow Skulk. 3/3 is pretty big for a Kithikin, but not unreasnable.
Henlock
Show
Hide
Henlock wrote:
6 days ago
Martyrdom of Aelies
1ww: Martyrdom of Aelies becomes a 3/4 creature with lifelink until end of turn.
A lot is going on here. Enchantment land and not enters tapped but legendary, and being an enchantment can be a drawback, the animate ability is very strong and the last ability is unique. It can completly hose decks that use a lot of Fertile Ground cards, and you can animate this and change a creature removal or auras to it. Really hard to evaluate.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
marioguy3 wrote:
6 days ago
Land of the Goats
Land (Rare)
Name is fine. Abilities are fine. I can't imagine this being the Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx of the Goats' deck (I now realize it actually it works only with tokens) but I also can't imagine it see exactly zero play. People will try to break it and probably fail. It's a cute riff on Springjack Pasture.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1st: void_nothing
2nd: kwanyeegor-ii
3rd: Komandon

Komandon

Post by Komandon » 2 days ago

Critiques
Show
Hide

void_nothing wrote:
1 week ago
Wood-Edge Clachan
Land (R)
Green does go with Kithkin but I think of blue with soldiers. Then gain this is Lorwyn.
The protection part is rather powerful. So this would be the best defense creature land. I think just the vigilance part overkill.
Henlock wrote:
6 days ago
Martyrdom of Aelies
Makes me wish Flagbearer would be mad again even though this is a single effect. For it's tap effect to work most of the time would would need to make it a creature.
marioguy3 wrote:
6 days ago
Land of the Goats
Land (Rare)
I like this a lot. I want a farm animal batching mechanic. Even with it coming into play tapped and the added mana boost I see this better than Kher Keep and do see it's update to Springjack Pasture [/card]
KB52665 wrote:
1 week ago
Luminous Everscape
Land — Scape (R)
When Luminous Everscape enters, if you control another untapped Scape, add .

The new subtype having some unique ability is nice. Such as how lairs use to be the original bounce lands.
Render
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
1 week ago
Arnabiem, Home to the Rabbitfolk
Legendary Land (Mythic)
When Arnabiem enters the battlefield, target opponent creates a 1/1 green and white Rabbit creature token with a +1/+1 counter on it.
T: Add G or W. Each player may either populate or proliferate.
Since you benefit too from the added tap effect it's seems too powerful. That not counting it coming into play untapped with no downside but an upside with the token. Just feel no lands should on their own be better than the original dual lands. Being legendary makes it worst because it can now me tutored more easily and have plenty of support.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
1 week ago
Itlimoc in Ruins
Legendary Land (Mythic)
Seems balanced. Has the effect of people counting your lands each turn to see when the big boost goes off. Likely 10 creatures added on at the end of another player's turn then your turn you do an overrun effect or have support already.
Top 3
Show
Hide

1st: marioguy3
2nd: kwanyeegor-ii
3rd: KB52665

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 5 hours ago

Just a top 3
t3
Show
Hide
1 komandon
2 marioguy3
3 kb5265
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”