The Sixth Doctor + Romana II - Planeswalker Duplicates

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 6 months ago

I've always been interested in making decks that can make copies of planeswalkers as its unique and hard thing to do.
There have been very few ways to do it and also the "legendary rule" makes it exponentially harder.

So the The Sixth Doctor directly allows you to copy planeswalkers and get around the legendary rule!
Then with Romana II you can make another copy of a planeswalker token.

My plan was to have a "good stuff" planeswalker deck that aimed to make multiple copies for value.
However as I was drafting up cards, I realized that there was numerous walkers that untap creatures and lands, and if you combined those abilities with Romana II you can make infinite number of those walkers.
I'm sure they included "tapped token" to avoid infinites, but planeswalkers don't care about being tapped.

Kiora, Master of the Depths, Teferi, Who Slows the Sunset, Teferi, Temporal Archmage, Nissa, Genesis Mage all can untap Romana II and a land to pay for the 1.

Gideon, Martial Paragon and Jace, Ingenious Mind-Mage untap creatures, so with a single mana dork you can go infinite. Of note there is Dryad Arbor in the deck, so any of the Forest fetchands can be used to set this up.

Garruk Wildspeaker and Nissa, Worldwaker only untap lands, however with Minamo, School at Water's Edge you could untap Romana II.
With Minamo, School at Water's Edge requiring u, you'd also need a land that provides two or more mana to go infinite.
Also Nissa, Worldwaker only untaps forests, so you'll need Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth to untap Minamo.

Estrid, the Masked can put an Aura on Romana II and if you have a land with an Aura in the form of Utopia Sprawl, Wild Growth, Fertile Ground, Wolfwillow Haven then you can go infinite.

Tezzeret the Seeker and its copy can search for Mana Vault/Grim Monolith and Patriar's Seal. Once you've made infinite Tezzeret, the next turn you can draw as many cards as you need with Sensei's Divining Top.

There are a number of ways to search for lands, so getting Minamo, School at Water's Edge, Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth and lands that tap for 2 or more mana can be a part of the plan.

Shalai, Voice of Plenty is a nice creature to copy as they will provide hexproof to each other.

The Sixth Doctor + Romana II - Planeswalker Duplicates

Commanders

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by darrenhabib 6 months ago, edited 3 times in total.

Tags:

Haman
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Haman » 6 months ago

Each of my playgrp was tasked to build variants of 6th doctor, so i seen prototype of the all artifact, legendary planeswalker,, , all legendary creatures and saga.. variant. The pw and the saga version , despite having to do alot of actions, have problem closing the game.

My fren ran 21 pw , u ran 10 which is quite low.
U probably can cut 4 excess ramps to get more pw or finisher.

One of the more interesting tech my friend ran was 2 green honden and 2 blue honden which are legendary btw. The higher cc honden would actually get copied easily.. u would be drawing alot and making many sapolings.

darrenhabib

Haman wrote:
6 months ago
Each of my playgrp was tasked to build variants of 6th doctor, so i seen prototype of the all artifact, legendary planeswalker,, , all legendary creatures and saga.. variant. The pw and the saga version , despite having to do alot of actions, have problem closing the game.

My fren ran 21 pw , u ran 10 which is quite low.
U probably can cut 4 excess ramps to get more pw or finisher.

One of the more interesting tech my friend ran was 2 green honden and 2 blue honden which are legendary btw. The higher cc honden would actually get copied easily.. u would be drawing alot and making many sapolings.
Thats interesting, how did your playgroup get specifically get tasked with that? Sounds like a neat idea.

The idea behind the deck is to make infinite planeswalkers, so finishing isn't a problem once you get a combo.

When I was first making the deck I was just looking at value, but because 6th doc cost 6 mana, I figured that you just wouldn't get that many turns with him in play, so your copies have to be premium.
The only "value" cards I have are Oko, Thief of Crowns, Teferi, Time Raveler, Shigeki, Jukai Visionary, Shalai, Voice of Plenty.
I could see adding a few more so that I do have more targets outside of the infinites.

Haman
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Haman » 6 months ago

It is like a brewing challenge between friends. When the commander is quite open to many ways of deck buiding, we just built different themes. The last one we did was tameshi. The fun part is , as we are constantly playing in the stores, the other players first expectation and reaction is greatly mixed.

You are totally right about 6th doctor being iimportant for a short while. The next spell that the doctor can duplicate have to be quite deadly or impactful.
My friend who did the artifact theme 6th doctor, he even turn the deck into a all permanent deck. One of the game he managed to get 6th doctor with 2 ugin. He proceed to wipe out the colored permanents and left the other ugin to road of utimatum.
I think you should add ugin
Last edited by Haman 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

darrenhabib

Haman wrote:
6 months ago
It is like a brewing challenge between friends. When the commander is quite open to many ways of deck buiding, we just built different themes. The last one we did was tameshi. The fun part is , as we are constantly playing in the stores, the other players first expectation and reaction is greatly mixed.

You are totally right about 6th doctor being iimportant for a short while. The next spell that the doctor can duplicate have to be quite deadly.
My friend who did the artifact theme 6th doctor, he even turn the deck into a all permanent deck. One of the game he managed to get 6th doctor with 2 ugin. He proceed to wipe out the colored permanents and left the other ugin to road of utimatum.
I think you should add ugin
I do think that choosing Commanders that can have partners/backgrounds/etc would be the most interesting for this idea, as it showcases different themes you could do.

I calculated that I'd have about 67% of having a threat if I cast Sixth Doctor by Turn 5, which isn't the most consistent, so I took your advice and upped my planeswalkers/threats and removed some ramp.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”