Kenrith Compound Interest: This deck is garbage, buuut

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 11 months ago

Kenrith's Compound Interest

This deck is garbage, buuuut, it's fun and hilarious and often goes off anyway. This deck presumes strongly on the kindness of strangers and goes to value town by using creating a rube goldberg machine where you generate ridiculous amounts of mana using storage lands and proliferation. This deck is hot garbage.
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

What this deck seeks to do is drop storage lands and storage artifacts and then proliferate the counters on those lands, then use that to fuel 1) giant kenrith activations, or 2) giant X spells.

It's very, very slow, and inconsistent, largely by intention, but I'm working on some things:)

pokken

I need a little help from the peanut gallery with some problems I've noticed in gameplay:

1) Vivid lands are *garbage*. I've been slowly replacing them. I don't want to break the bank (Mana Confluence is out) but I'd love some suggestions on better things to use in those slots.

The biggest struggle this deck has is wanting to leave its storage lands tapped and not having actual lands, so the actual lands need to be really good at color fixing. Maybe the answer here is to add Triomes and a few fetchlands? I can probably swing that if it's the right thing to do.

Most of the early game stuff the deck has to do on curve is blue, so I could theoretically also just use UG duals and UGx triomes naked.

Alternatively, are there any usable non-mana-negative rainbow lands that work here? This is not a Gemstone Mine deck, it can't afford to be sacrificing lands (getting accidentally depletioned with no proliferate outlet is bad enough).

2) Early game sequencing to get to actually doing things is often super rough. I feel like the deck wants maybe a couple early filtering sources. Anything good on theme I could use that uses counters and draws/scrys/etc.? Planeswalkers are largely out, because despite the utility I have almost no way to defend them.

But maybe Nissa, Steward of Elements type stuff would be good? (where 1UG scry 2 and gain some life is not really all that bad).

3) The mana batteries are just....sigh. I wanted them to be good but they are miserable trash and nearly unusable. Not sure they can stay in the deck. Any good replacements I'm missing for proliferatey ramp?

TY for the thoughts :)

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 11 months ago

Dryad of the Ilysian Grove turns all of your lands into every land type, which means you can tap the depletion lands for mana without using a counter, just like Yavimaya and Urborg. Extra land drops are probably helpful, too.

It DOES look rough. I'm running a few depletion lands in my Falco Spara counters and proliferate deck and they are...awkward.

pokken

yeti1069 wrote:
11 months ago
Dryad of the Ilysian Grove turns all of your lands into every land type, which means you can tap the depletion lands for mana without using a counter, just like Yavimaya and Urborg. Extra land drops are probably helpful, too.

It DOES look rough. I'm running a few depletion lands in my Falco Spara counters and proliferate deck and they are...awkward.
Dryad of the Ilysian Grove and Chromatic Lantern are potentials for sure. The problem with Dryad of the Ilysian Grove is that the ramp effect is almost always dead since this deck draws no cards lol :P

So far the weakest link in the deck has been drawing farking mana batteries, but Vivid Crag was pretty damn close.

Another Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth is something I'm considering picking up, but tbh the deck needs almost no black mana to function.

What I'd really like is if the mana batteries were all copies of Crystalline Crawler so I'm debating adding stuff like Trinket Mage[/card and [card]Trophy Mage to get at more mana rocks, which have been great.

More functional copies of Pentad Prism would also be ridiculous, so maybe tributeMage is good enough too.

Chromaticus
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Chromaticus » 11 months ago

Got a couple for you:

Zirda, the Dawnwaker as copy 3 of Biomancer's Familiar and Training Grounds.

Gyre Sage - potentially goes nuts with the +1/+1 counter elements of the plan. Marwyn, the Nurturer is in a very similar vein.

Black Market - can get silly after a boardwipe.

Altar of Shadows - so bad, but really plays into the theme of this deck.

P.S. this is 100% the deck you would roast in your other thread.

pokken

Chromaticus wrote:
11 months ago
P.S. this is 100% the deck you would roast in your other thread.
100%. This deck is trash, and this thread is more of a roast of it than anything else :P

Can't believe I forgot about zirda, I just bought one last week thinking I needed it for something. I might even have a Marwyn laying around.

Gonna clean house.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 11 months ago

I think you need every mana altering ability you can get Joiner Adept, The World Tree, Chromatic Lantern, etc. Then I think you need some defense.

Fogs, walls, lifegain, whatever, you need time to charge up. I think playing a nice selection of control effects will give you time and durability.

What are you doing with all the dumb x spells? Kenrith is basically all the mana dump you need, plus maybe 1-3 finishers. Get the rest outta here, they're just eating up space.

Also Viral Drake is stupid with this much mana, might as well play it.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

pokken

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
11 months ago
I think you need every mana altering ability you can get Joiner Adept, The World Tree, Chromatic Lantern, etc. Then I think you need some defense.

Fogs, walls, lifegain, whatever, you need time to charge up. I think playing a nice selection of control effects will give you time and durability.

What are you doing with all the dumb x spells? Kenrith is basically all the mana dump you need, plus maybe 1-3 finishers. Get the rest outta here, they're just eating up space.

Also Viral Drake is stupid with this much mana, might as well play it.
Yeah, the deck definitely needs something to survive the early game. The problem with Kenrith is he isn't quite enough to just win most of the time; you get choked on mana of specific colors.

re: fixing - I did add world tree and yavimaya to help land fix a bit, but I don't love the ones on creatures. Might think bout lantern though, i did have that in the first iteration.

Kenrtih is all the lifegain you should ever need; i've gained hundreds. W = 5 life is stupid. But some kinda control effects probably needed. The challenge is...what?

I think you're probably right on cutting some of the worst X spells, but it's worth noting I have like no tutors. that's why there's such a decent pile. and some of them are interaction (see Rolling Earthquake). Debt to the Deathless is basically junk, never cast it, and Torment of Hailfire kinda similar.

Viral Drake is a great call, esp. with Zirda, the Dawnwaker / Biomancer's Familiar effects pumping its effectiveness. Duh. :) Thanks for the reminder.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”