On Browsing the Custom Set Page

HuginRonin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by HuginRonin » 1 year ago

Hi, all!

I've been looking for a good place to design my own set of Magic: The Gathering cards. I'm a junior game designer and I think something like this could be a good fit for my portfolio, and so I stumbled across MTG Nexus and it seems like an excellent place to host my creations.

That being said, I am writing this post because there are upwards of 1000 custom sets on that page, and while I would like to browse them all, I fear that I have things to tend to still. However, I would like some input from others in the community. What are your favourite custom sets? The ones that surely nobody would want to miss seeing. I am mainly looking for well-balanced and well-designed ones, focusing on expansion sets that are not un-sets and that could be feasibly implemented as actual expansions to Magic:The Gathering, but as I said, very much open to suggestions and looking forward to making some cards!

Thanks in advance.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

When it comes to completed custom sets one of my favorites ever is Shandalar: War of the Five Towers. It expands on and fleshes out the flavor of a world that originated as a generic fantasy setting in an early M:tG video game as well as tackling a theme that's difficult to do well: Monocolor.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

I'd also like to point out Legends of Tarkir, which does a great job with all its themes and subthemes and brings back the Khans timeline.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Set Creation”