Copying Ninjutsu & Beckon with Roscoe

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Guardman » 1 year ago

Two of the main mechanics in the Breath of the Wild set I am creating are Ninjutsu and Beckon, both of which put creatures onto the battlefield.

Ninjutsu [cost] (Return an unblocked attacker you control to hand: Put this card onto the battlefield from your hand tapped and attacking.)

Beckon [cost] (Return this card from the graveyard to the battlefield tapped. Activate only as a sorcery.)

Since there is some overlap with these two abilities (mainly putting them onto the battlefield without casting them), I created a few cards that card about that. I then got the smart idea, you know what would be really cool, being able to copy Ninjutsu and Beckon abilities for fun and profit. And thus Roscoe, Inanimate Object was born.

Roscoe, Inanimate Object 3
Legendary Artifact
As long as Roscoe, Inanimate Object isn't on the battlefield, it's a 0/1 Construct creature in addition to its other types.
2, : Copy target activated or triggered ability you control. You may choose new targets for that ability. If the copied ability would put its source onto the battlefield, create a token that is a copy of that card instead of putting it onto the battlefield. (Mana abilities can't be copied.)

I am like 80% sure that Roscoe's ability works how I intend it to where if I, for example, copy Yiga Hoarder's ninjutsu ability, the copied ability will create a token of Yiga Hoarder that is tapped and attacking. And if I copy Reckless Scouts's beckon ability, it will create a token of Reckless Scouts that is tapped. But I would just like to confirm my understanding of 707.10b is correct.
707.10b
Show
Hide
707.10b. A copy of an ability has the same source as the original ability. If the ability refers to its source by name, the copy refers to that same object and not to any other object with the same name. The copy is considered to be the same ability by effects that count how many times that ability has resolved during the turn.

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 1 year ago

Everything I can find says this wording should work. Though you don't need any of the words after instead. It's a reasonable extension of current abilities and how similar effects have evolved, ie copies of permanent spells.

However, this version might be too cheap. Copying abilities have been done before and are usually more expensive or require more set up.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 1 year ago

user_938036 wrote:
1 year ago
Everything I can find says this wording should work. Though you don't need any of the words after instead. It's a reasonable extension of current abilities and how similar effects have evolved, ie copies of permanent spells.

However, this version might be too cheap. Copying abilities have been done before and are usually more expensive or require more set up.
Thanks.

As for the cost, I based the copying off of Strionic Resonator, Lithoform Engine, and Rings of Brighthearth which all seem to indicate that is the going rate for copying abilities.

andreaa23

Post by andreaa23 » 1 year ago

Guardman wrote:
1 year ago
user_938036 wrote:
1 year ago

Thanks.

As for the cost, I based the copying off of Strionic Resonator retro bowl , Lithoform Engine, and Rings of Brighthearth which all seem to indicate that is the going rate for copying abilities.
I think it's not too high

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Card Rulings”