plushpenguin
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by plushpenguin » 4 years ago

The Gitrog Monster by card type

Commander

Artifacts

Planeswalkers

Approximate Total Cost:

This is the last deck that I'm porting over to this site.

Notable changes since the last time I did anything with this deck..

Dark Depths is gone. The indestructible 20/20 token.... basically never kills anyone.
In its place is Field of the Dead, and that card is like the nuts. Getting 4 or more zombies a turn is amazing for both surviving attacks and threatening with a massively lethal army. Also, such an army is expendable and it costs nothing to you other than a land that enters tapped and for you to keep doing what you were doing anyway.

It almost makes me want to run hoof. Only further testing will tell where it goes.

These days, land decks are spoiled for grindy wincons. Before, you had to settle for getting 4/4 tokens with each land played, which often... didn't get the job done, especially when you had to pay 6 for the right to do this in the first place.

Now, you can slam Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Dread Presence, the latter which either keeps your hand full (important when not drawing fetch lands) or it starts shooting things. The investment is so much lower and Scapeshift can eliminate a board or a player..

Before, our land search had to settle for Sylvan Scrying and Crop Rotation.. While Rotation is still good, now we get our lands without costing land drops via Hour of Promise, repeatedly get the nonbasics we want with Elvish Reclaimer, or we can set our opponents back with Pir's Whim while doing it.

When Avenger of Zendikar starts looking more and more like a cuttable card, you know we have too many options.
Last edited by plushpenguin 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:

BOVINE
Legendary Creature – Ox
Pronoun: he / him

Post by BOVINE » 4 years ago

Non combo Gitrog is amazingly synergistic. It's the way to go. Gitrog has been getting so much support lately – as you've already mentioned. I haven't updated my list in a long time so thanks for bring your list over for us to look at.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

Field of the Dead is a house, that thing kicks serious ass in my group's Lord Windgrace. Nothing like ripping a Scapeshift and casually making 20-30 power's worth of zombos in addition to whatever other benefits come out of it.

Seeing how you're mentioning Avenger of Zendikar as a potential cuttable, I imagine that perennial precon reprint Rampaging Baloths is not up to snuff? I recognise a bunch of tech that this shares with the Windgrace I have locally, and he also runs the Baloths along with Omnath.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

Run finale of dev instead of hoof :)

plushpenguin

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
Run finale of dev instead of hoof :)
Now this is a reasonable suggestion. Hitting X = 10 with enough zombies will lethal a table, trample or not.

Additionally, it allows for me to acquire utility with a versatility that hoof can never offer. Even paying 4 for Lotus Cobra is well worth the cost in certain situations

I added Vesuva because I want more Field of the Deads. An extra Cabal Coffers couldn't hurt either.

The only thing I'm looking for now is more early ramp. That, and perhaps more nonbasic ramp that does not require me to expend land drops. Finale could possibly perform both roles.

Baloths got cut a long long time ago. The cheaper the wincon, the better (even if slightly less efficient). EDH decks these days ramp up fast enough that the more you do in a turn, the better.

pokken

Yeah that's why I switched from Torment to Finale in my Gitrog. It's rampant growth + crappy torment on the same card. Torment is obviously better for a clean win, but I've found Finale for 30 does the job most of the time, even with my relative lack of creatures.

I may plop Field of the Dead in there because of its valakut-like combo with Scapeshift, and Finale goes great with that by giving the zombies haste.

plushpenguin

pokken wrote:
4 years ago
Yeah that's why I switched from Torment to Finale in my Gitrog. It's rampant growth + crappy torment on the same card. Torment is obviously better for a clean win, but I've found Finale for 30 does the job most of the time, even with my relative lack of creatures.

I may plop Field of the Dead in there because of its valakut-like combo with Scapeshift, and Finale goes great with that by giving the zombies haste.
I'm convinced. Now... the real question is what to cut.

Do I just flat out cut AvZ? Ouphe? I have tons of artifact and enchantment removal as it is... Traverse?

Those are the only 3 off the top of my head that makes sense.

BOVINE
Legendary Creature – Ox

Post by BOVINE » 4 years ago

I recommend cutting Avenger of Zendikar. As another long time noncombo Gitrog player, I know that Avenger is one of those creatures people are trying to copy or kill with some urgency. That makes it vulnerable to backfires or uselessness.

plushpenguin

In goldfish testing, Finale can potentially lead to some stupid early kills combined with Field of the Dead and Cabal Coffers. One of the craziest was attacking with 12 +11/+11 creatures on turn 4. Admittedly, having 20 mana and an AvZ to help the Finale as well as a ridiculous sequence helped a lot, but this was previously unachievable.

Some of the most important setup cards for these kills are Lotus Cobra, extra land plays, Hour of Promise, and Yawgmoth's Will. I should keep track of my storm count on some of those winning turns.

So far I'm 50:50 split on AvZ vs Traverse cut, but I definitely think that Finale is stronger than either.
Traverse is pretty high variance. Sometimes it gets almost anything we can for a bargain bin rate (especially as delirium isn't hard for this deck) and other times I'm cashing it for a basic land.

pokken

Offbeat but I would cut mindslicer. That card just doesn't seem to belong. You have plenty of ways to get crime which will do the same thing most of the time. And not need recursion shenanigans.

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank

Post by Rumpy5897 » 4 years ago

I'd recommend keeping AvZ. That's a crapton of +x/+x hasted monstrosities flying in out of nowhere when you get it with Finale.

EDIT: Never mind, I forgot that this isn't quite like Tooth and Nailing, in that the pump is part of the spell whereas the Avenger board gum happens as an ETB trigger later. Disregard.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

plushpenguin

I decided to cut Avenger. I needed a "ramp spell" that has more utility late-game, so Sylvan Scrying goes in. Traverse gets cut for Finale of Devastation. Being able to get creatures is now significantly less relevant in the new configuration. Finale kills very fast with the right setup.

Also, I'm making a basic land swap. 3 of each basic land will be swapped for a snow-covered equivalent to assist in enabling Field of the Dead. That way, I am much more likely to get tokens off of my land drops by getting at least 1 of each of the basics.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”