April MCC -- Round 1 -- What is That?

Locked Previous topicNext topic
Rithaniel
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rithaniel » 1 year ago

(This month's banner is just a bit of art I tossed together in Blender. I'm not really sure what it's supposed to be, but we need a banner.)

April MCC Round 1

What is That?

Our theme for the month of April is "nothing is impossible." In other words, each round our challenges and subchallenges will put forward a strange combination of requirements, that require you to think outside the box in some way to satisfy them.

For this first round, the main requirement is to make a legendary creature with two creature types that aren't easily combined. Meanwhile the first subchallenge restricts mana costs in an unusual way, and the second subchallenge forces you to wrangle with flavor directly.

As we progress through the rounds, these challenges will become more interconnected and difficult.

Main Challenge -- Design a rare or mythic legendary creature card with two or more subtypes from among "Ooze, Ox, Phoenix, Turtle, Scarecrow, or Specter" on its typeline.

Subchallenge 1 -- Your card has a maximum of generic cost in its mana cost.

Subchallenge 2 -- Your card has flavor text.

Clarifications
Show
Hide

Main Challenge -- The card can have changeling, if you want, but it must also have two or more of the subtypes listed on it's typeline.

You can have subtypes not listed on the creature's typeline, too, if you so choose.

Your card must be a legendary creature, and must be rare or mythic.

Subchallenge 1 -- Monocolored hybrid mana does not count against this challenge. Nor does obligate colorless. The only mana symbols that this subchallenge looks for are symbols with numbers and only numbers.

Subchallenge 2 -- Remember that shoddily implemented flavor can hurt a design as much as help it.

DEADLINES

Design deadline: Sunday, April 9th 2023 at 23:59 Eastern Time

Judging deadline: Thursday, April 13th 2023 at 23:59 Eastern Time

RUBRIC
MCC Rubric
Show
Hide
The MCC Rubric is given below, in an easily "copy and pasted" form.

Code: Select all

[b]Design[/b]
[b](X/3) Appeal[/b] - Do the different player psychographics (Timmy/Johhny/Spike) have a use for the card?
[b](X/3) Elegance[/b] - Is the card easily understandable at a glance? Do all the flavor and mechanics combined as a whole make sense?

[b]Development[/b]
[b](X/3) Viability[/b] - How well does the card fit into the color wheel? Does it break or bend the rules of the game? Is it the appropriate rarity?
[b](X/3) Balance[/b] - Does the card have a power level appropriate for contemporary constructed/limited environments without breaking them? Does it play well in casual and multiplayer formats? Does it create or fit into a deck/archetype? Does it create an oppressive environment?

[b]Creativity[/b]
[b](X/3) Uniqueness[/b] - Has a card like this ever been printed before? Does it use new mechanics, ideas, or design space? Does it combine old ideas in a new way? Overall, does it feel "fresh"?
[b](X/3) Flavor[/b] - Does the name seem realistic for a card? Does the flavor text sound professional? Do all the flavor elements synch together to please Vorthos players?

[b]Polish[/b]
[b](X/3) Quality[/b] - Points deducted for incorrect spelling, grammar, and templating.
[b](X/2) Main Challenge (*)[/b] - Was the main challenge satisfied? Was it approached in a unique or interesting way? Does the card fit the intent of the challenge?
[b](X/2) Subchallenges[/b] - One point awarded per satisfied subchallenge condition.

[b]Total: X/25[/b]
*An entry with 0 points here is subject to disqualification.

JUDGES

Rithaniel
Ink-treader

If you want to consider judging, I say the more the merrier. Sign-up thread is here.

PLAYERS

If you want to play, just post a card anytime before the deadline.
Last edited by Rithaniel 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

bravelion83
OTJ MCC going on now

Post by bravelion83 » 1 year ago

Ragrax, Burning Blight 1B{B/R}R
Legendary Creature — Phoenix Specter (R)
Flying, first strike
Whenever Ragrax, Burning Blight deals combat damage to an opponent, that player discards a card. If they do, put a +1/+1 counter on Ragrax.
Whenever a spell or ability you control causes an opponent to discard one or more cards, you may return Ragrax from your graveyard to the battlefield. If you do, it gains haste.
Each time reborn from a different volcano of the Burning Isles, it wanders the sky of Bogardan and Urborg feeding on nightmares.
3/3
Author of the MCC Guidelines and FAQ. | The June MCC is ongoing. Theme is OTJ. Most recent thread: Round 2. Judging deadline on the 18th.

For my projects (Jeff Lionheart, "One pierced heart, two mindful horns", republished articles from my series "The Lion's Lair", and custom sets), see Leo's content index (Last updated on April 25th 2024 - Added TLL #5).
After I'm done republishing my articles I want to reprise the series focusing it more on editing, wording, and templating. Suggest potential future article topics here.
My CCCG Resume (Updated on June 4th 2024)
Show
Hide
Blue = MTGSalvation Green = MTGNexus
MCC - Winner (9): Oct 2014, Apr Nov 2017, Jan 2018, Apr Jun 2019, Jan Mar 2022, Apr 2023 || Host (31): Dec 2014, Apr Jul Aug Dec 2015, Mar Jul Aug Oct 2016, Feb Jul 2017, Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) Oct 2019, Jan Jun 2020 Apr Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024 || Judge (59): every month from Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 except Oct 2015, every month from Feb to Jul 2017 except Apr 2017, then Oct 2017, May Jun Nov 2018, Feb Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), every month from Aug 2019 (first on MTGN) to Feb 2020, May Jun 2020, Mar Apr Sep Oct 2021, Feb May Sep Dec 2022, Mar May Jun Sep Dec 2023, Jan Mar Jun 2024
CCL - Winner (4): Jul 2016 (tied with Flatline), May 2017, Jul 2019 (last on MTGS), Jun 2021 (tied with slimytrout) || Host (5): Feb 2015, Mar Apr May Jun 2016
DCC - Winner (4): Mar 2015 (tied with Piar), Feb Apr 2022, Apr 2024 || Host (16): May Oct 2015, Jan 2016, Jun Sep Dec 2021, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2022, Mar Jun Sep Dec 2023, Mar Jun 2024

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 1 year ago

Krepscythe, Frightreaper 1BB
Legendary Artifact Creature — Scarecrow Specter (R)
Flying, menace
Other Scarecrows you control get +1/+1 and have menace.
Whenever a Scarecrow you control deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card. If they can't, they lose 3 life.
With the crows all gone, it turned it turned its kin upon their makers.
3/3
Last edited by Subject16 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.

haywire

Post by haywire » 1 year ago

Dretak, Shifting Legion
Legendary Creature — Phoenix Ooze {M}
Flying, ward
Whenever Dretak, Shifting Legion attacks, create a 1/1 green Ooze creature token. Then, you may have each Ooze you control other than Dretak become a copy of target nonlegendary creature until end of turn, except they're still Oozes.
When Dretak, Shifting Legion dies, at the beginning of the next end step, you may choose a creature you control. That creature becomes a copy of Dretak.
Why go through the trouble of rising from the ashes, when there's plenty of hosts that are still standing?
2/2

slimytrout
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

Rinnic, Slickshell Sage 1GU
Legendary Creature — Elf Turtle Ooze (R)
Each creature you control has ward X, where X is the number of counters on that creature.
Whenever Rinnic, Slickshell Sage or another creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may pay 1. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on that creature and draw a card.
"Armor is just cramped clothing. A shell is a home."
2/3
Last edited by slimytrout 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Riria

Post by Riria » 1 year ago

Terrbeak, Unshelled Prison
Legendary Land Creature — Island Turtle Ooze (MR)
(Terrbeak isn't a spell, it's affected by summoning sickness, and it has "T: Add U.")
Whenever mana added by Terrbeak is spent on a creature spell, you may sacrifice that creature as it enters the battlefield. When you do, exile target creature an opponent controls until Terrbeak leaves the battlefield.
Most Rosharan fauna is incredibly soft and vulnerable beneath its exoskeleton. The Tai-na of Reshi are not necessarily excepted from this trend; they're just 20 miles across.
0/3

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

Brelco, Reborn Lamassu
Legendary Creature — Phoenix Ox (M)
Flying, vigilance
Whenever a creature attacks you or a planeswalker you control, exile the top card of your library. Until the end of your next turn, you may play cards exiled this way.
: Return Brelco, Reborn Lamassu from your graveyard to your hand. Activate only if you played a card from exile this turn.
3/5
Last edited by Venedrex 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

Muulbak, the Gootiller WU
Legendary Creature - Elemental Ox Ooze (Rare)
You may play an additional land on each of your turns as long as an opponent controls at least two more lands than you.
Whenever Muulbak, the Gootiller attacks, you may untap a number of Plains you control equal to its power.
Whenever you play an Island, you may tap it. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on Muulbak.
The soul of irrigation given amorphous form.
1/1
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 1 year ago

Zarathustra, the Thought-Feeder 1
Legendary Creature - Ooze Specter (Rare)
Flying
Whenever Zarathustra deals combat damage to a player, that player discards their hand, then draw seven cards. Then, look at that player's hand. Until end of turn, you may play cards from their hand and they can't cast spells.
On Muragnda, free will is as free as Zarathustra wills it.
2/2
Last edited by netn10 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

Uu, the Haunt of Kappa Tragedy1BBB
Legendary Creature - Turtle Specter (r)
Whenever a source deals damage to Uu, the Haunt of Kappa Tragedy, that source's controller discards that many cards.
Whenever a player discards a card, Uu, the Haunt of Kappa Tragedy gains "When this creature dies, return it to the battlefield tapped under its owner's control."
No one ever spoke about the Kappa tragedy, as if everyone had understood that such an atrocity should be never given word.
2/5

Freyleyes

Post by Freyleyes » 1 year ago

Archelos and Umori 1BGU
Legendary Creature - Turtle Ooze {M}
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under an opponent's control, tap it and put your choice of a stun counter or -1/-1 on it.
Spells you cast cost 1 less to cast if you control a permanent of that cards type.
"We have no idea how they met, or where they came from, but praise the suns for their assistance."
— Mirrian commander

4/4

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 1 year ago

Atellki, the Wickerpyre 1RRR
Legendary Creature - Scarecrow Phoenix {R}
Flying
Whenever Atellki, the Wickerpyre attacks or dies, create a 2/1 colorless Scarecrow artifact creature token with "Sacrifice this creature: Add R."
At the beginning of each end step, if three or more artifacts were put into graveyards from anywhere this turn, return Atellki from your graveyard to your hand.
Even the tiniest embers it gives off are rich with mana and fire.
4/2

void_nothing
Undersea Emperor
Answers: 127

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Rheng Mraugi, the Starboard Culmen 1GW
Legendary Creature - Ox Turtle (M)
Islandwalk
At the beginning of your upkeep, look at the top card of your library, then you may reveal that card. If it's a permanent card with the same name as a permanent you control, you may put that card onto the battlefield.
3U: Shuffle another target nontoken creature or enchantment you own into your library. If you do, create a token that's a copy of that permanent.
When a great deed is about to be done, whether deep inland or far out at sea, Mraugi is there.
3/3
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Rithaniel

Alright, the round is closed and I have randomized the participants. @Ink-Treader and I will now go through and judge the submissions, aiming to get everything finished up by Thursday at midnight, EST. If everything goes according to plan, that's when Round 2 of the April MCC will be going up.

Top four from each group advance. Here we go:

Rithaniel's Group
Freyleyes
haywire
Henlock
kwanyeegor-ii
netn10
slimytrout

Ink-Treader's Group
bravelion83
MonoRedMage
Riria
Subject16
Venedrex
void_nothing
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 1 year ago

And judgments complete!
bravelion83
Show
Hide
Design
(3/3) Appeal - I'd say this an all-rounder. Timmy appreciates a creature than can get bigger, Johnny would like to see what they can do with that reanimation trigger (Sadistic Hypnotist comes to mind), as would Spike.
(2.5/3) Elegance - The haste being permanent is easy to overlook, considering how often haste granted that way is temporary. That aside, this doesn't do anything terribly unusual.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - I'd wager this might be of rather higher quality for a mana-free reanimation than WotC might print, especially after the disaster that was Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis, and that at least required two creatures that matched its colors. Granted, effects that make your opponent discard efficiently are typically black, with red and blue having 'wheel' effects that can do the same. The creature itself could quite easily be monoblack, but with this flavor red would likely be applied. Rare is appropriate.
(2/3) Balance - At cost, it's perfectly fine. I'm mostly concerned about how easy this could be to reanimate, especially since it gets haste as a bonus if you do so via its ability. While it starts much smaller than the notorious Hogaak, that haste does tip things. It can do 7 damage in the same time it takes Hogaak to do 8, so it's probably well worth the effort.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - It does familiar Phoenix and Specter things, but the trigger for the reanimation seems fairly novel, especially with the specificity that a spell or ability you control must force the discard.
(3/3) Flavor - Looks to be well researched regarding geography, and the flavor feels right.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Looks good
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - All components are there.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Both requirements fulfilled.

Total: 22/25
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - It's big enough for Timmy, and there's some interest to be had for Johnny, especially since you can get multiple copies back without any additional costs on that trigger. Spike is a bit skeptical of the value, but it seems workable.
(2.5/3) Elegance - Only elegance issue is that under normal conditions you can't be cute and use those tokens to both get back Atellki and then cast him with the mana they produced when sacrificed.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Nothing out of color here. Rare is appropriate.
(3/3) Balance - Seems quite fine all around. It can generate some value, but nothing crazy, and it hits reasonably hard for its cost. It could be less color heavy, but it's not really a problem.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - That's a new kind of token, and only Eldrazi Spawn/Scions come close in functionality. Trigger itself is novel in its specificity, and even looking for more broad connections brings up little.
(2/3) Flavor - I am bothered that Atellki isn't an artifact but generates artifact creature tokens, which the flavor text implies are sort of its spawn. Otherwise, I like it.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - Since the last ability refers to artifacts from zones beside the battlefield, it needs to be "artifact cards"

Total: 22.5/25
Riria
Show
Hide
Design
(1.5/3) Appeal - Not really a Timmy card. Johnny is interested, as is Spike, though the latter might be concerned with its relative fragility.
(2.5/3) Elegance - The triggered abilities have quite a bit going on, but the result is nothing new. The 'sacrifice as it enters' is new, but shouldn't be confusing in intent.

Development
(1/3) Viability - This is very questionable, especially since it's functionally a colorless, repeatable Journey to Nowhere on a land. It's not even pretending to be white, since the mana it generates is blue. I also think they'd at least give it a color indicator to make it blue, like Dryad Arbor. Mythic is plausible for this.
(2.5/3) Balance - Interestingly, I'm not sure this is actually broken, despite being fetchable. There are certainly clever things to be done with it, like with the simpler Dryad Arbor. But the cost of a creature, with the even tighter restriction of requiring mana from Terrbeak being spent to cast it, isn't nothing, and it's significantly more vulnerable than Journey to Nowhere. Still, as technically any deck that wants what it offers could easily run it, it does feel rather dangerous.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - Familiar effect, but done in a very unique way.
(2/3) Flavor - I do wonder why you have to sacrifice your own creatures to 'eat' your opponent's creatures, beside balance. It also feels 'small' due to its low toughness, despite apparently being part of a species that's 20 miles across. Otherwise, it's a cool and flavorful concept. This is a bit of a nothing, but a somewhat different name might have been a good idea, as I want to call it Terrorbeak.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - Cards like Devour Intellect suggest the wording should be "mana from Terrbeak", not "mana added by Terrbeak". As well, a very old cycle of Auras Armor of Thorns suggests the proper wording should be "the controller of the permanent it becomes may sacrifice it", which avoids edge cases of the creature's owner finding out that no, they can not sacrifice the creature if someone stole the spell from them (Or word it so only Terrbeak's controller can have that option). I'm also unsure if "sacrifice as it enters" is allowed by Magic. Closest thing to the concept appears to be Lotus Vale, which handles the concept in a different way, though it disallows EtB and death triggers, which I imagine your card intends to be allowed.

Total: 18.5/25
Subject16
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Nothing much here for Johnny, but Timmy and Spike like it well enough. Spike especially appreciates that it still does something on hit when the opponent runs out of cards.
(3/3) Elegance - Simple enough lord.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Perfectly black card, and rare is appropriate.
(3/3) Balance - It's a solid creature on its own. The lord bonuses are very good, but Scarecrows aren't a terribly potent tribe outside of a couple notables.

Creativity
(1.5/3) Uniqueness - Not terribly unique, but "if they can't" triggers aren't terribly common yet.
(3/3) Flavor - Absolutely. That flavor text is very cool.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - "it turned" is doubled in the flavor text.

Venedrex
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Timmy thinks it's cool, and that's a strong enough trigger to get Spike excited, presuming the meta isn't heavily creatureless. Johnny isn't too thrilled, as it relies on the opponent's agency a lot.
(3/3) Elegance - Seems easy enough to understand, with nothing weird to point out.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Lammasu is an existing creature type, and would certainly get used here. Red and white feel appropriate here. Mythic works.
(2.5/3) Balance - That's a strong trigger. Absolutely a Limited bomb, but hey, it's mythic. The cost to get it back and then recast is intense enough not to be worrying. Mangara, the Diplomat is the closest in functionality, and doesn't give multiple triggers, but is much less color intensive, and drawing a card is generally better than impulsive draw. But that can be a lot of cards, and in the right deck you could be play enough of them to give a token swarm pause.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - The impulsive draw comes from a new source for it, as does the condition for the reanimation.
(2/3) Flavor - Some flavor text would have gone a long way here. It does have the protective sort of feel their mythos implies, but keep in mind lammasu aren't a common fantasy creature, unlike the similar looking sphinx, and have much less penetration in terms of public knowledge.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - It should be "you may play that card". Alternatively, if your intent was to allow all cards exiled with Brelco to be played, "you may play lands and cast spells from among cards exiled with Brelco, Reborn Lamassu" (Theater of Horrors. Huh, WotC made that bit wordier when they reprinted that. I wonder why.) Now for a great mystery: The creature type in Magic is spelled Lammasu, and apparently that's also the case in DnD, but there's many examples of the spelling you used. Unfortunately, I shall have to side with Magic's spelling here, as that is what you're designing for.
(1/2) Subchallenges - Has no more than 1 (zero) generic mana, but lacks flavor text.

Total: 19.5/25
void_nothing
Show
Hide
Design
(2/3) Appeal - The last ability is a bit weird to Timmy, but the second ability is really cool. Not terribly scary in combat though. Johnny appreciates the package most. Spike thinks the second ability is a bit unreliable, especially since the card isn't monocolored, so going full basics to improve odds of a hit feels unwise to them. The third ability is interesting, but is it worth the cost?
(2.5/3) Elegance - The second ability snags any permanent type, but the third can only hit creatures and enchantments?

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - Honestly, the second effect almost feels like something that would be WUBRG, but cards like Retraced Image and Mitotic Manipulation have played in this space as monocolored cards, and there's Twinning Glass as a similar colorless example. Green has Primal Surge for general ripping permanents off the top. The activated ability is perfectly fine for blue. At worst, I'd say this doesn't need to be white. Mythic though is absolutely right here.
(3/3) Balance - I will say the activated ability is a very cool way to make the triggered ability viable for more than basics in Commander, though it's still quite a gamble in 100 card singleton. In 60 card formats, the question becomes how reliably you can stack your library with what you already have out. It lacking protection should keep it from getting too far with anything silly.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - There's some familiar effects, but the whole package feels very fresh.
(2/3) Flavor - I'm just not sure how the abilities tie with the flavor text. Islandwalk works with the "starboard" but of the name at least, and culmen implies that it's quite grand itself. I'm not feeling how "great deeds" tie into repeating stuff you have, though 'free' stuff is always impressive. Playing with Google Translate tells me Rang Mauji is Swahili for "blue color", which is thematic to something with a bit of a nautical flavor.

Polish
(2.5/3) Quality - the few examples I have of "then you may reveal that card" are not tied to looking at the top card. The looking and revealing should be separate clauses "...look at the top card of your library. You may reveal that card."

Total: 21.5/25
Scores (bold advance)
Show
Hide
MonoRedMage=22.5
bravelion83=22
Subject16=22
void_nothing=21.5

Venedrex=19.5
Riria=18.5

Rithaniel

Judgements
Show
Hide
Freyleyes
Show
Hide
Freyleyes wrote:
1 year ago
Archelos and Umori 1BGU
Legendary Creature - Turtle Ooze {M}
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under an opponent's control, tap it and put your choice of a stun counter or -1/-1 on it.
Spells you cast cost 1 less to cast if you control a permanent of that cards type.
"We have no idea how they met, or where they came from, but praise the suns for their assistance."
— Mirrian commander

4/4
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Timmy likes the ramp, Johnny might enjoy the counters, but doesn't see a lot else there, and Spike likes this as a value engine.
(3/3) Elegance - Can't fault you here. It's perfectly clear.

Development
(2.5/3) Viability - I don't think this is worth it being mythic, but everything else feels appropriate.
(1.5/3) Balance - So, this is a creature itself, so it is always at least accelerating creatures onto the board while continuously slowing down the opponent by leaving them down a blocker for multiple terms and completely removing creatures with 1 toughness. These are small boosts, individually, but since they are applied everywhere, I think they wind up being too much.

Creativity
(2/3) Uniqueness - Nothing here feels particularly fresh. You tap and put negative counters on them while accelerating your side by reducing costs. However, the specifics are new. Choosing between stun counters and -1/-1 counters is new, as is the condition on the cost reduction.
(1.5/3) Flavor - Your flavor essentially says "this is for March of the Machines, but I don't have any flavor aside from it being two already established legendary creatures." That's specifically opting out of having flavor.

Polish
(2/3) Quality - Should be "stun counter or -1/-1 counter."
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Yep, it's a mythic, legendary turtle ooze.
(2/2) Subchallenges - Yep it has only generic mana and it has flavor text.

Total: 19/25
haywire
Show
Hide
haywire wrote:
1 year ago
Dretak, Shifting Legion
Legendary Creature — Phoenix Ooze {M}
Flying, ward
Whenever Dretak, Shifting Legion attacks, create a 1/1 green Ooze creature token. Then, you may have each Ooze you control other than Dretak become a copy of target nonlegendary creature until end of turn, except they're still Oozes.
When Dretak, Shifting Legion dies, at the beginning of the next end step, you may choose a creature you control. That creature becomes a copy of Dretak.
Why go through the trouble of rising from the ashes, when there's plenty of hosts that are still standing?
2/2
Design
(3/3) Appeal - Timmy loves unkillable creatures, copying, and token swarms. Johnny loves unkillable creatures, copying, and token swarms. Spike loves unkillable creatures, copying, and token swarms.
(1.5/3) Elegance - The fact that one ability cares about Oozes other than Dretak and the other cares about any creature you control is potentially inelegant. Having them mirror each other would be better on that front.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Black brings immortalitiy, blue brings copying, flying, and ward, and green brings the token generation. Everything fits together well, and the idea feels impressive and singular enough to be mythic.
(1.5/3) Balance - So, 4 mana for a 2/2 flying, warded creature that is essentially unkillable is, honestly, a cheap price. The fact that it also generates tokens that can be as big as any other creature on the battlefield is just icing on the cake. I think you probably need to trim out some of these advantages.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - The phoenix type on a card that isn't red is, by itself, a new idea. The reincarnation mechanic being a delayed copying trigger is new as well. I think you're pretty good on uniqueness.
(2/3) Flavor - I don't really get "Phoenix" from the colors of the mechanics, but then the flavor does tie it together to explain what the concept is for Dretak. The only place I'm not sure about is the specifics of the copying. First, I feel that only oozes should become Dretak. Second, I get it that the idea is that these are shapeshifting oozes, and it pairs well with the fact that creatures can become Dretak, but it doesn't mesh perfectly with the flavor you have going.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - Yep, seems good.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Yep, it's a mythic, legendary phoenix ooze.

Total: 21/25
Henlock
Show
Hide
Henlock wrote:
1 year ago
Uu, the Haunt of Kappa Tragedy1BBB
Legendary Creature - Turtle Specter (r)
Whenever a source deals damage to Uu, the Haunt of Kappa Tragedy, that source's controller discards that many cards.
Whenever a player discards a card, Uu, the Haunt of Kappa Tragedy gains "When this creature dies, return it to the battlefield tapped under its owner's control."
No one ever spoke about the Kappa tragedy, as if everyone had understood that such an atrocity should be never given word.
2/5
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Timmy likes creatures with all upsides. Johnny would like to combo this to make a discard engine of some sort. Spike thinks this might be a bit too slow to be a good pick.
(1/3) Elegance - So, a major issue I see is that a beginnings player might think that the two abilities combine to make it unkillable, as they might not understand that Uu can already be dead by the time it would gain the "when this creature dies" ability. I would probably express that second ability a little bit differently, as a result.

Development
(3/3) Viability - Rare feels right, black feels entirely appropriate, and it feels like a turtle specter.
(2/3) Balance - So, as far as competitive is concerned, this would mainly be used as a blocker, because it's power is a bit too low as an attacker, particularly for 4 mana. However, as a four-drop, the main power of this card (the discard) is not going to be useful when your opponent is playing an aggressive deck (which is when you need a blocker). However, as a casual card, this is amazing fun.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - I can't fault you anywhere on uniqueness.
(2.5/3) Flavor - I really like the mechanics/flavor match-up, here. The old specter mechanic is given a very clear "turtle" spin, and I would want to give it full marks for that alone. However, the flavor text and name are a little vague, specifically opting to not tell us about Uu, even though it seems there is flavor there.

Polish
(3/3) Quality - One might point out that you don't have a space between the name and the mana cost, so maybe consider that a deduction of 0 points.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Yep, it's a mythic, legendary turtle specter.

Total: 20.5/25
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
1 year ago
Muulbak, the Gootiller WU
Legendary Creature - Elemental Ox Ooze (Rare)
You may play an additional land on each of your turns as long as an opponent controls at least two more lands than you.
Whenever Muulbak, the Gootiller attacks, you may untap a number of Plains you control equal to its power.
Whenever you play an Island, you may tap it. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on Muulbak.
The soul of irrigation given amorphous form.
1/1
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Timmy likes how this can become a big creature, but dislikes having to jump through hoops. Johnny is trying to maximize white mana from the attack ability. Spike can certainly find use for this card in some context or another.
(2/3) Elegance - Slight elegance issue in that a player might think that this allows you to go from "two lands down" to "dead even," when reality is that you would lose the ability to play a second land once you get to "one land down." Everything else seems fine.

Development
(1.5/3) Viability - I am most concerned about blue-white providing what is essentially mana ramp by allowing the player to untap plains based on how many islands you have played, but, beyond that, this is okay.
(1/3) Balance - I think this might be a bit too strong in a deck with a lot of islands, but, comparing it to something like Fretwork Colony, I suspect the power-ramp alone might be alright. Past that, obviously the first land ability is a Land Tax that doesn't allow any of the normal advantages. But then the second ability allows you to potentially double your white mana in a turn. I think all this together ends up being too much for a 2 drop, even if individual abilities might be restrictive in application.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - I can't fault you for uniqueness. From the land tax effect that looks for a difference of two land to the ability to untap plains based on an attack in white/blue, this is doing new stuff.
(3/3) Flavor - Interesting flavor. I can see what you're aiming for, with the mix between ox and water being farming and irrigation. Hence you get "ox ooze" from that.

Polish
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Yep, it's a mythic, legendary ox ooze.

Total: 20/25
netn10
Show
Hide
netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
Zarathustra, the Thought-Feeder 1
Legendary Creature - Ooze Specter (Rare)
Flying
Whenever Zarathustra deals combat damage to a player, that player discards their hand, then draw seven cards. Then, look at that player's hand. Until end of turn, you may play cards from their hand and they can't cast spells.
On Muragnda, free will is as free as Zarathustra wills it.
2/2
Design
(2/3) Appeal - Timmy and Spike both love the effect you get when this connects. Johnny doesn't see much potential, as the main effect this card has is to disrupt opposing strategies and to improv strategies from your opponent's deck.
(3/3) Elegance - Yes, this is very straightforward. I can't fault you for elegance.

Development
(2/3) Viability - If you cast this for mono-black, everything makes sense. Red/white also makes sense, for the most part. However, I'm not sure about stealing cards from your opponents hands in red/white. Also, this is a bombastic enough effect that I almost want to say that this should be mythic instead of rare.
(0/3) Balance - So, comparing this to Sen Triplets and Magus of the Wheel, I think cmc 3 is way too low. On turn four you can essentially just lock your opponent out of strategy by forcing them to constantly cycle through hands, and then keep them mana screwed by constantly playing crucial lands that they draw onto your side of the field. I can't call this fair.

Creativity
(3/3) Uniqueness - That mana cost alone is enough to earn full points on the uniqueness front, in my opinion, but we've also been seeing more of these kinds of mana costs, lately, so it won't remain "maximally unique" forever. Beyond that, this is definitely a new take on the Sen Triplets effect.
(1.5/3) Flavor - So, one thing I'm not so sure about is why this is an ooze. Like, I get the general idea for Zarathustra being a tyrannical super-specter, but why are they ooze-like? Also, the flavor is kind of generic and a little vague. Like, all I get is that Zarathustra is a tyrannical super-specter. I don't have a good vibe for how its tyranny really works, though.

Polish
(1.5/3) Quality - Modeling this after Sen Triplets, you should probably have this include a continuous reveal effect and treat spells and lands differently.
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Yep, it's a mythic, legendary ooze specter.

Total: 17/25
slimytrout
Show
Hide
slimytrout wrote:
1 year ago
Rinnic, Slickshell Sage 1GU
Legendary Creature — Elf Turtle Ooze (R)
Each creature you control has ward X, where X is the number of counters on that creature.
Whenever Rinnic, Slickshell Sage or another creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may pay 1. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on that creature and draw a card.
"Armor is just cramped clothing. A shell is a home."
2/3
Design
(2.5/3) Appeal - Timmy likes buffing their creatures and drawing cards, but dislikes having to pay mana for it. Johnny loves the draw engine, and would absolutely feed tokens into this. Spike loves everything this card has to offer.
(3/3) Elegance - I can't fault anything on the elegance front. This is a straight-forward design.

Development
(3/3) Viability - I see no issues with viability. Everything here is comfortable where it is.
(1/3) Balance - Comparing this to Primordial Sage, I'm a little dubious about the second ability. Like, yes, this requires you to pay an additional mana to draw a card, but that mana also buffs the creature and gives it ward, all while Rinnic is at half the mana value of the sage. I would feel much more comfortable if that cost were or . As is, I think it's too much of a value engine.

Creativity
(2.5/3) Uniqueness - Ward based on number of counters on a creature is the most unique thing here, and it is pretty unique. The other ability doesn't have a direct parallel anywhere in MtG, but it still feels a little generic.
(3/3) Flavor - Very nicely done. You've given Rinnic a personality with your flavor text, and the name kind of gives a feel for what the idea is with the combination of turtle and ooze.

Polish
(2/2) Main Challenge (*) - Yep, it's a mythic, legendary turtle ooze.

Scores
Show
Hide
Bold Advance:
  • slimytrout - 22
  • haywire - 21
  • Henlock - 20.5
  • kwanyeegor-ii - 20
  • Freyleyes - 19
  • netn10 - 17
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
― Paul Erdős

― Stephen Jay Gould

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”